Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best Gelcoat cutting compound???????????

Posted by Ryan S 
<HTML>I am lookin for a good combo to use on boats that is inexpensive. I have been using Meguiar's Heavy Cut compound and it works okay but it is almost $50 per gal. What else is out there that works good for a less expensive price?

Thanks,

Ryan Stewart
www.stewartdetailing.com</HTML>
Re: Best Gelcoat cutting compound???????????
October 07, 2003 06:29AM
<HTML>I hate to tell you this but any compound will work and you should paying no moe than $20 a gallon. There is nothing in a compound worth $50.

We offer 800 grit; 1200 grit; 2000 grit and Micro Fine grit. Which you use depends on the severity of the oxidation on a gel coat. And that is what it is, oxidation as the sun's uv rays will oxidize the gel coat according to my chemist.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 07, 2003 10:18AM
<HTML>Meguiar's @ $50 per gal

Why am I not suprised? There are actually places in Europe where they pay about £65 per USgal.

I just opened an account with them, any comments anybody?</HTML>
October 09, 2003 10:50PM
<HTML>Metal Brite by Car Brite, Simply put, the best! Trust me on this one...</HTML>

&quot;Shhh...Da Doctor is Operatin!&quot;
October 11, 2003 05:46AM
<HTML>Ryan:

Bud is right, you can use any aggressive cutting compount of a boat's gel coat. Remember, the gel coat is very thick and durable so you don't have to worry about removing too much or causing damage. For the severely oxidized boats I use Auto Magic's XP Compound (about $20/gal.) This stuff works like magic-- removes all oxidation, revealing a beautiful, like new gel coat.

For the waxing/sealing, I use Dolphinite's T-Wax sealant (www.dolphinite.com). It's about $60 for the gallon but it will last 5 times longer than other boat waxes. I choose Dolphinite for ease of application and removal. No buffing required...just seals.

For your average boat, use Dolphinite Restorer Wax, Mothers Cleaner/Wax or any other type of cleaner wax with a hi-speed buffer.

Hope this helps,</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 11, 2003 12:36PM
<HTML>Brian:

You are paying $60 a gallon for wax? Why? No wax is worth that much money unless it has gold in it.

I suspect they are saying it is something special and will resist salt water?

That is the test method for durability used on our independent test of the 25 to 26 different waxes and sealants on the market today.

Amino functional silicones are what give a wax or sealant some of its durability characteristic.

I would reconsider $60 a gallon.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 11, 2003 07:41PM
<HTML>Bud:

The product I'm talking about is called Dolphinite Cleaner Wax. The company claims it will last all season long, resisting salt water, UV rays, fish blood, etc. There claim is true. All the boats that I've used this product on still held up even during their 2 week salt water cruises.

Here's what the company claims:

-Lasts 5 times longer than all boat waxes.
-Resists salt water, UV rays
-One application lasts all season
-Easy on, easy off application

I also forgot to mention $60 is retail value. My marine supplier give it to me for around $45.00.

Thats still expensive but it is by far the best cleaner wax I've ever used with the best results.

Hope this helps some.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 20, 2003 03:26AM
<HTML>Brian,

What type of pad wool or foam do you use with the compond for the gel-coat that won't leave any type of mark's---- i. e. swirl, blemishes etc.

Thank you
Tony</HTML>
November 20, 2003 04:44AM
<HTML>Hi Tony:

For heavily oxidized boats I use the wool pads and for light oxidation on newer boats I use the green foam buffing pad by Auto Magic. The wool may leave swirls but I also use a sealant by hand after the buffing. If you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask!

Check here:
[www.precision-online.com];

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 20, 2003 10:25AM
<HTML>As for the pads, I know Auto Magic slaps there name on the pad but another manufacturer makes it. Not sure who it is.

My color chart for foam pads is:

Black - Heavy cut
Green - Light Cut
Yellow - Medium Cut
Blue - Final Finish
White - Ultra Fine Finish</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 22, 2003 12:39AM
<HTML>Brain,

Thank you very much for your info, does the sealant help get rid of the swirls left by the wool pad? This is my main problem I'm not happy with when working on gel-coat. Also what are your view's on meguiars boat and RV products (in the blue bottles) for light to medium oxidation removal?

Thank you
Tony

P.S. Great website I look at it offen, also the how to vid sounds great sign me up.</HTML>
November 22, 2003 12:48AM
<HTML>Tony,

You're welcome!

The sealant I use is by Dolphinite called T-Wax Sealant and has made the swirls disappear after application. The reason why boats tend to swirl a lot is because of the gel coat thickening in the wool pad. An aggressive foam pad should help. Ever look at the wool pad closely after buffing an oxidized gelcoat? Looks like globs of paste.

Meguairs is good but too expensive to buy in the small bottles. For the same size bottle, I choose 3M products, which produce better results in my opinion. Bud thought I was crazy for spending $45 a gallon on Dolphinite but it's the best stuff I've ever used on a boat. Collinite and 3M are up there as well. When I first started boats, I used regular car wax and the gelcoat just absorbed it after polishing. Si I tend to stick with marine products but you can use car care products as well.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 22, 2003 01:24AM
<HTML>Thank you Brian, I do use 3m product's so now I know I'm on the same page as other's, and you are right about the gel-coat thicking on the wool pad, that got a laugh out of me to have someone else mention that. LOL Also where can I buy Dolphinite called T-Wax Sealant for the best price for I will be passing the cost on to my customers and want the lowest $$$$?

Thank very much again Brian
Tony</HTML>
November 22, 2003 10:50AM
<HTML>Hi Tony:

You can find Dolphinite most likely at your local marine supply store. Open a cash & carry account with them (give them an ST3 form - no taxes!) and they'll most likely give you the standard 15% off retail. Buy more and savings gets better.

If they dont have it, you can get direct from Dolphinite.com but they'll probably charge full retail (yikes.)</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login