Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

paint removal

Posted by Ernest Smith 
paint removal
October 09, 2003 04:40AM
<HTML>While driving I rolled over wet white paint used to create border lines in the road. Did not discover the mess until hours later. white paint is all over the fenders front and rear on the right side of the car. How do you get it off?
Thanks</HTML>
Re: paint removal
October 09, 2003 08:45AM
<HTML>Ernest, This is a common problem and not that hard to fix. The easiest and least expensive way is paint thinner and a cotten rag. Just soak the rag with the thinner and rub away. It should come off fairly easy. If it is too hard to get off you can purchase a scrub pad that has a soft foam interior surrounded by a very fine mesh exterior. Both of these items can be found at most auto stores and even at Wal-mart. You will of course be removing any wax or sealant on the vehicle. Once the paint has been removed simply wash the area well and re-apply your wax and you are just like new. This will cause no harm to your vehicles finish. I use this method all the time to solve this problem and also to remove paint from rubbing against garage doors, mail boxes, ATM machines, etc. No ill effects and very happy customers. Good luck and have a great day. Ron</HTML>
October 09, 2003 12:46PM
<HTML>I use automotive clay to remove.</HTML>
October 10, 2003 09:31PM
<HTML>thanks for the assist. However the body shop used gasoline. Body clay is used to smooth paint, not remove hardened stuff.</HTML>
October 10, 2003 11:19PM
<HTML>Clay isnt used to remove hardened stuff? Gee I have been tricked!!!! All those cars I used clay on to remove paint from were not real! I am going to have to ask for a full investigation into this fraud I commited!</HTML>
October 11, 2003 04:02AM
<HTML>Mr. Reason
Don't personalize the matter. The problem is solved. If I could have found the clay locally, I would have tried it.</HTML>
October 11, 2003 12:27PM
<HTML>GARY, You were not wrong by suggesting clay to remove paint from an auto. I use it often to remove fine over spray (common on trucks and autos where commercial painting is occuring on large construction jobs). I have used clay to do such vehicles that were totally covered with these fine dots of paint. It worked great and paid well smiling smiley))). I would never use paint thinner in such instances(all over an entire vehicle)....but from Ernest description I imagined large globs and spatters of very thick paint on his side panels, wheel wells, etc and figured that it would take more than one clay bar to remove the paint (expensive) and very time consuming. I was suggesting what I have learned to be the quickest and least expensive way of resolving this type of problem and the others I mentioned in my original post. FYI, I used the same recently to remove five gallons of tar that had been spilled in the rear of a brand new pick up truck...What a messsad smiley(((. Clay would never have resolved that problem. ERNEST, I was happy to hear that you resolved your problem and have two questions for you. 1) Did you try the thinner idea yourself or did you just decide that the body shop was the quickest and easiest way to get the job done? 2) Could you tell me what the body shop charged to do this job, how long it took and rather they resealed &/or waxed after completeing the job? Also be advised that Gary was not wrong, the body shop was wrong if they told you that clay was used only to smooth the service...........Most professional detailers use clay often to remove hardened materials of all types and it works fantastic and leaves the smoothest surface you would ever imagine. Simply....No one was wrong !!!!!! Just proves the point that as professional detailers we need to continue to educate ourselves on the best method of resolving each problem we come across. Sites such as this are great educational tools. Thank you for your post and good luck to each of you. Have a great weekend, Ron</HTML>
October 13, 2003 03:31AM
<HTML>Guys,

First of all I meant no ill will and apologize if it was taken personally........my comments were meant in a generalized manner not specific!

Gary</HTML>
October 13, 2003 04:04PM
<HTML>WHATS NICE ABOUT THIS PLACE IS WE ALL LEARN. WHAT MORE CAN WE ASK? STAN THE GLASS MAN</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login