Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Waterless Carwash

Posted by waterless 
Re: Waterless Carwash
October 17, 2003 04:09AM
<HTML>Seems as though anyone telling the TRUTH about Detail City or their overpriced, low quality products gets banned, (look out Bud)..., Hmmm, coincidence? Or is someone loosing face by all the BS and banning going on if a "good" product is mentioned and the post is deleated?
Lots of "PRO's here that know the trade, are educated in this field and have seen lots of "miracle products" to know better than to fall for that one..., I don't think you are going to "make your point", LOL!!

[www.autopia.org]

[www.autopia.org];

The &quot;BEST of The BEST&quot;
October 17, 2003 04:40AM
<HTML>I wrote Auto Magic a letter last year for permission to rebottle with my label so I can start an online store for my website and some one from the company called back saying it's patent infringing. Any thought on a better approach?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 17, 2003 04:48AM
<HTML>Now while I don't want to throw gasoline on the fire here, but I've used a waterless wash from [www.xtremedetailing.com] which has proven to be a great product for me. I've used it working on dealer's cars and as a clean up wash in place of Final Inspection after doing a touch-up on a vehicle. I've also used it to prep cars for paint work and to clean door jambs, under deck lids, etc. when detailing.

It's also great for taking out hard water stains from sprinklers. I've used it for this prior to polishing/sealing. And yes, I did the water/alcohol test after applying it to make sure it removed the stain and it did so successfully. I even use this stuff on my own vehicles in between detailings. Not all the time, but when there's some light dirt or dust on the car & I don't have time to wash it.

I have a black truck and have used it several times and haven't noticed any scratches to date. It even cleans glass rubber and plastic trim as well without leaving any residue or buildup. The only down side is that if you don't get it all off, it will leave a white chalk on the vehicle which can easily be wiped off with a clean towel.

As far as I'm concerned, it's an excellent product and works very well. I use it in certain situations or if I am unable to do a proper wash. No, this product does not nor should it replace the proper methods and techniques for detailing a car, but it certainly has it's niche, in my opinion.

I guess it all comes down to the fact that there's different strokes for each of us. And who's to say one way is more "right" than another when we're all just doing our best to acheive the same result....lasting shine + clean interior = repeat customers and referrals which translates into more money. Yippee!!!</HTML>
October 17, 2003 05:28AM
<HTML>Food for Thought.....

DWG is offering putting an offer to dealerships where they will guarantee a new cars paint for 7 years. The dealer sets the price (just like extended warranty) and the consumer either buys it or not. Then the consumer HAS to bring the car to dealer every three months for a detail and they also must not use any other type of product on car other than normal soap and water. Sounds like DWG is standing behind there product. Company is under new leadership than several years ago. They have also came out with a product that has Ionic technology where it puts a positive charge in the surface of the vehicle and keeps dust off the surface. Some dust does stay but a whole lot less than without it own there.....I can vouch for this...I didn't believe it until I saw it myself. Put it on 1/2 my hood and 3 days later it was still relatively dust free while the other side was covered. Not a sales pitch...just a statement.... Thanks for all the constuctive criticism. I like to hear both pro and con..</HTML>
October 17, 2003 10:44AM
<HTML>Rod:

Thanks for the post on waterless wash. The way you use this product is the way it should be used.

What everyone, including myself, is criticizing is the claims that you can wash a dirty car without water.

The way you describe is not what the makers claim for the product, they say it can do more than just touchup. That is the bone of contention.

Further, it is about cost. This is a very simple product to make and is in no way worth what some companies are charging.

By the way, how can you use this product for prep work before painting? Most formulations, including the one we USED to sell contains silicone which is anathema to painters.

Products the way you use waterless wash have been around for years in the detail business but they were not called "waterless wash." When the MLM people got into the picture they took an existing product and gave it a different name and application and made millions selling to unsuspecting consumers.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 17, 2003 10:52AM
<HTML>For the record, all paint sealants using silicones put an "ionic bond" on the surface of the car.

That is the "red flag" when chemical companies start using terms like "space-age polymers" or "ionic bonding" you know this is razzle-dazzle to con people into believing something that is not true.

Be logical, there are very large companies in the professional detail chemical business who make their living solely selling these chemicals to professional detailers and to auto manufacturers under private label.

You find few or any of these companies making these "crazy" claims about their products. Why is that? Because they know their customers who not buy it. Because they know they are not true.

If this was a legitimate technology don't you think they would use it? Why is it that only the infomercial companies; the internet companies selling boutique products to the consumer directly make these claims.

That my comments for what they are, not an attempt to bash anything, not an attempt to sell anything but to provide some thought-stimulating ideas on subjects that should be critical for professional detailers.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 17, 2003 06:55PM
<HTML>Bud,

i can understand your point of view, and that is fine. my only problem is that you have posters on here that are more concerned with bashing (noah email ) than the actual point of this forum. this thread started as a discussion on the usefullness / or lack thereof of waterless type washes. Now it has turned into a lets bash DC and Poorboys and anything else that has to do with them (once again Noah Email). If you happen to visit DC you will find that, aside from the plethera of different products and such, that it is a community of well mannered, fun loving and knowledgeable people who's only goal is to either use or produce products that people enjoy using. there are no threads dedicated to slander, and when and if someone does then they are dealt with. sounds like a good policy to me. so in the future why dont we all just respectfully state our opinions and keep on the subject matter of the thread.

Noah,

Here is my point. unless you can make an intellegent comment leave the bs at home. through out this entire thread you did nothing to educate or otherwise provide any usefull info. you are obviously just out there to cause trouble and hostile people like that should be banned. i have no problem respecting the opinion of a professional , which you are obviously not. Point Made

Eric</HTML>
October 17, 2003 10:20PM
<HTML>Noah (Wayne) said......

"Seems as though anyone telling the TRUTH about Detail City or their overpriced, low quality products gets banned, (look out Bud)..., Hmmm, coincidence? Or is someone loosing face by all the BS and banning going on if a "good" product is mentioned and the post is deleated?
Lots of "PRO's here that know the trade, are educated in this field and have seen lots of "miracle products" to know better than to fall for that one..., I don't think you are going to "make your point", LOL!!"

1. Detail City is a forum and does not sell products.... obviously you missed that truth.</HTML>
October 18, 2003 01:30AM
<HTML>Elorott:

Thank you for your email. Although I defend your right to say what you want, I disagree with your contention that I was "bashing" waterless wash. I was simply giving my very "strong" opinion about the product.

If you consider that bashing that is your choice, but to me it is simply stating what I think by experience and study about a product. If it happens to be negative that is not "bashing." It is all in how you take it, I would think, and that is right.

Several months ago I was banned from Detail City for what reason I do not know and have not been able to gain access to the forum. Must be some problem with that forum when they have to ban people. I have been on this forum for several months and no one has ever been banned to my knowledge which says alot about the webmaster and those participaiting here.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 18, 2003 01:37AM
<HTML>Bud:

You want my user name and password to Detail City? I don't really plan on going back to that site since the VB layout is a pain to navigate and everything is all unorganized. Plus, 90% of the post'ers are high school hot rodders who pay $90 for an 8oz bottle of "Never wax your car again" products.

Just my $.02</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 18, 2003 02:09AM
<HTML>Perhpas we can get Dwayne@detail city to enlighten us why Bud was baned?
In an earlier post someone wrote about ionic bonds. Is there a way to help prevent or slow down the dust attraction to dashes. I use very little dressing and the problem has been reduced but still seems to be noticeable.</HTML>
October 18, 2003 04:56AM
<HTML>Bud...I appreciate your input. It's good to know I'm doing somehting right from time to time, lol!!!

When I say I use the waterless for paint prep, if a customer or dealer says they have a car with scratches all over it or a severe case of road rash, I need to have a clean car to assess the damage. Sometimes, the prep dept. at the dealership can't always wash the car for me or if I'm at a customer's place of work, I don't have access to water to wash the car. If it isn't real dirty, I'll clean it with the waterless wash. Once I see the areas of damage, I'll clean with my Prepsolv to remove any wax from the surface and do the repairs. Once I've finished I'll remove the excess paint with an excess remover which leaves behind an oily film. I used to use Final Inspection for this and it usually took 2 or more applications, but the waterless does a far superior job at removing the excess with one application and the car looked better, the customer was happy, so it made logical sense to continue using it for this purpose.</HTML>
October 18, 2003 05:00AM
<HTML>Hold on! Let's separate terms here. Ionic bonds are chemical bonds. Dust is attracted by static charge. The charge is created by electrons transferred to a surface from another surface like silk to glass, wool to steel, etc.

Again has anyone tried Spray and Wipe? If you have not then your opinions are based on assumptions. You would be torn to pieces in any intellectual ring for stating strong opinions on old biases and uninformed opinions. Try it and put it down all you want, till then think about what your say.

Brian, I post over at DC and left this board to go over there because of bickering and fighting. Many other respected pros like Anthony Orosco post over there now, so no- it is not 90% teen aged punks. Again, many people tried many pro line chems like Meguiars, 3M, Top of the line, Pro, Detailplus, Carbrite, etc. and still prefer their "boutique" products. UPP is posted about over here a lot too. Have you tried UPP, Poorboys, Platinum, Vanilla Moose, or anything like them?</HTML>
October 18, 2003 05:27AM
<HTML>Rob:

First of all, we aren't bickering and fighting...just expressing different opinions. That's what these forums are for, expressing opinions. Just like you said you viewed my website and liked it. But then you said my prices are too low (which they are) and that was your opinion. I like this feedback because it makes me a better businessperson and overall detailer. If you and other posters didn't give me feedback, how would I know where I rank?

As for Detail City, I'm just stating what I saw. I have seen Anthony's posts and he fall in to 10% of true professional opinions. Again, thats from what I've seen.

No I haven't tried Spray & Wipe, nor have I said anything negative about it. I DID, however, speak negatively about Dri Wash n' Guard, which I tried. And the "boutique waxes" honestly, I feel they all do the same thing when it comes to final finishing. Except "express waxes" which last a few weeks if that.

Again, I'm not speaking negatively but for Zymol (it's a great product) but do I really need coconut oil, pineapple seed extract and all these fruitful additives to enhance a cars appearance? No. Though it smells great.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 18, 2003 10:31AM
<HTML>1. Detail City is a forum and does not sell products.... obviously you missed that truth.

Detail city, dwayne and premiumautocare are all the same. the forum is just a "part" of premiumautocare.

"If" you say ANYTHING negative about one of their products "OR" post where you can get better quality products at a lower price, the post gets deleated and you get banned.

detail city does not want the TRUTH about products, as their sales on premiumautocare would fall dramatically.

For example, look at the nonsense detail city has started here because of his overpriced, over-hyped products.

If he is going to different forums to "stir things up", you can just "imagine" how he runs his own forum.

As long as you are "praising" the products premiumautocare sells, you are a great guy and "smart"..
If you post the truth on the site, you are automatically their enemy...,

Just ask Bud, he was banned for being "informative".

dwayne, if you are only here to argue, email me at not@email.
No real email address..., EXACTLY!! I do not want to be solicited, spammed, etc, etc...</HTML>

October 18, 2003 02:34PM
<HTML>It appears you are using the product in a correct way. As a spray and wipe.
I have not problem with it's use in that way. What I challenge is it's application as a MLM product sold at high prices for washing dirty cars. That is how Dri Wash n Guard sells/sold the product to the consumer.

As mentioned, we offered a "waterless wash too." But it was used by detailers for spray and wipe applications and that is how we sold it, not as a car wash alternative, and we sold it for I believer $14.95 a gallon.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 18, 2003 06:12PM
<HTML>Brian and Bud, thanks for the responses!

Brian-
I wasn't acusing you of fighting, etc. I reply to your posts because you state your opinions in a civil and thought out fashion. This is what allows people who are interested in finding more accurate information (I don't like to say truth because we may never really know the absolute truth about anything no matter how long we try to find it!) to work out FACTS and learn. In other words, thanks!

DC does have some kids and newbies who probably are better off learning more before they post, some folks there for a social hour, and some true pros (I don't know how many fall into this category as it's nebulous). Anyways, my point was that (if you look back through old threads) many ugly flame wars go on here and I got tired of trying to weed through this BS to see replies to my questions and find useful data. I even got caught up time to time in the arguments, much to my embarassment. DC censors out such crap but as always, censorship has a price. You have to trust the people making the calls. I won't comment anymore to this as I don't know what gets deleted, but I have spoken to two moderators directly and they seem pretty up and up.

I know you spoke about DWG. I was suggesting that it can be perilous to group products together by category, ie waterless = CRAP as eventually someone working at it hard enough will one day find a good product. Do you think pioneers would laugh at the thought of drycleaning or not using washboards or fabric softener or soft water? I'm not claiming Spray and Wipe is a revolution like the above mentioned but you get my drift.

Bud-

I think everybody agrees that DWG is well "not very good". I think we may make progress at this point if we agree as to what "dirty" is. What do you think?

Thanks guys,
Robert</HTML>
October 18, 2003 07:49PM
<HTML>If you want to see a forum that is filled with bashing; gossip; and personal agaendas you might view Mobileworks on the Delphi network. It is the silliest forum you will find.

This forum has been great, very little personal attacks; very little gossip very good postings and respones. If you want to keep it that way try not to bash anyone and just ignore the silly stuff and stay on track with information.

You can disagree with someone without being personal, however some people are so insecure that they see a disagreement about what they say as "about them personallly" and they lash out. That is their problem, however if you see a person is like this be "gentle with them"

Stick principles, not personalities, as they say.

Regards
bud abraham</HTML>

buda
October 18, 2003 07:49PM
<HTML>If you want to see a forum that is filled with bashing; gossip; and personal agaendas you might view Mobileworks on the Delphi network. It is the silliest forum you will find.

This forum has been great, very little personal attacks; very little gossip very good postings and respones. If you want to keep it that way try not to bash anyone and just ignore the silly stuff and stay on track with information.

You can disagree with someone without being personal, however some people are so insecure that they see a disagreement about what they say as "about them personallly" and they lash out. That is their problem, however if you see a person is like this be "gentle with them"

Stick principles, not personalities, as they say.

Regards
bud abraham</HTML>

buda
October 18, 2003 08:11PM
<HTML>Thanks Bud..., I will try to be "gentle", LOL!!

I agree, lets keep things professional and keep the "truth in advertising" areas exposed for what they aresmiling smiley

Are you conducting any more tests?
How do I gt a copy?
It would be interesting to see how the tests compare to my own testing.
Check, C.C, paypal?</HTML>

October 20, 2003 05:09PM
<HTML>Phil:

If a dressing has anti-static agents in it there will be no dust accumulation.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 21, 2003 12:38AM
<HTML>That's not totally accurate. Dust will still settle on the dash and accumulate. The idea of anti-static agents is that dust will be less attracted to a dash. Some systems create a small static charge of the opposite charge of dust and it acts to repel dust, however such a systems are short lived as the charge quickly dissipates. Somebody will figure that one out some day and probably make a ton of money....</HTML>
October 21, 2003 12:53AM
<HTML>Robert, Robert:

You are getting too scientific again, splitting hairs. Of course dust will still settle on the dash and accumulate. The point of anti-static agents is that dust will be less attracted, that is about the best you can do as you say.

We live in an imperfect world, filled with imperfect people and imperfect materials. What do you want?

KISS, the people here are detailers, not chemists.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 23, 2003 05:32PM
<HTML>Bud please read your post:

"If a dressing has anti-static agents in it there will be no dust accumulation."

Reading this builds the hope that antistatic agents will solve the problem as there will be no dust accumulation. As I pointed out, that is not true. Please don't switch the issue to me. I kept it simple to explain the facts behind my point so people can evaluate for themselves what to think. There is virtually NO charge build up in humid climates and antistatic spray would be useless. Dry climates may benefit but it won't last.</HTML>
October 23, 2003 05:33PM
<HTML>I forgot to mention something. UV protection is the most important thing we should be looking for in our interior dressing/cleaning products.</HTML>
October 23, 2003 08:17PM
<HTML>Robert:

Could you expound on the purpose of UV protection in dressings?

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 23, 2003 08:18PM
<HTML>Robert:

Are you saying that anti-static agents in dressings "do no good?"

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login