Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

REMOVING WATER SPOTS?

Posted by Darin Stone 
REMOVING WATER SPOTS?
October 16, 2003 05:58PM
<HTML>Can anyone give me some names of chemicals or methods used to remove hard water stains on both the body of the car and glass?
Thanks much!</HTML>
Re: REMOVING WATER SPOTS?
October 16, 2003 07:02PM
<HTML>#00 Steel wool will take spots off the glass if they are relatively fresh, but the safest method to remove the stubborn spots from both the glass and paint is to use a rotary buffer and a wool/poly blended pad and a medium or heavy duty compound and buff the glass and paint until the water spots are removed, then polish with a swirl remover/polish and a foam polishing pad.

This is a messy job and I recommend buffing the glass before washing the car because the glass buffing is the messiest part due to the buffer having to be held at an angle to get into the corners. I would also recommend masking the trim and rubber around the glass with masking tape to avoid burning them.

The only products that will remove hard water spots without buffing are either strong acids or harsh abrasives. Either one can damage the car or the detailer! There are many products out there making claims about being able to remove hard water deposits without acids or abrasives, but the reality is that a miracle products does not exist. Compounds and rotary buffers perform the task using a combination of mild abrasives and heat which is much safer than any other method.

Hint: I use Auto Magic's XP compound for the glass. It works very well, but I think it's too harsh to use on the paint. I prefer Meguiar's Diamond Cut or Auto Magic's XP Polish.</HTML>
October 16, 2003 07:32PM
<HTML>Gary:

Good call. I use Auto Magic's XP Compound on the glass to which removes those nasty hard water spots. I still need to try the XP Polish though. What's your opinion on the XP polish?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 16, 2003 09:02PM
<HTML>XP Polish is a great product. It's more of a light to medium compound than a polish. I use it with a wool/poly blended pad for medium duty cutting or a foam cutting pad for light duty cutting. I follow it up with New Car Glaze and a polishing pad to remove any swirls and polish the surface. XP Compound can be used on clearcoat paint if heavy cutting is needed, but it's so messy I avoid it at all costs. Instead, I use Meguiar's Diamond Cut. However, there are not many good substitutes for XP Compound when it comes to buffing the glass.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login