Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Restoring Faded Exterior Trim/Bumpers

Posted by Duncan Carter 
<HTML>What are good products for restoring the black or grey to the exterior trim and bumpers?

I have tried some products on trim and bumpers but the trim just seems to absorb the product, it looks good when applied, but within minutes the trim and bumper look faded again? Suggestions on different type products are appreciated.

Thanks,
Duncan</HTML>
Re: Restoring Faded Exterior Trim/Bumpers
October 19, 2003 07:06PM
<HTML>Duncan, we use two products, both by CarBrite. Bumper Kote and Revive. The Bumper Kote gives a high gloss look , and the Revive gives more of a flat look.

Jim.</HTML>
October 20, 2003 03:10AM
<HTML>duncan,

Some auto makers are limited on what they can use in their plastics due to laws similar to our EPA. mostly european cars like volvo and land rovers. This limits what you can do with them. I have yet to find a product that you can just apply and have it last for any length of time. (like 1 day) There are plastic dyes that you can use on these but it is time consuming and costly so charge apropriatly. The dyes come in a can like spray paint. You have to mask it off before you apply it. I have used them and they work great but I wouldnt do it as a regualar part of a detail.</HTML>
October 20, 2003 03:26AM
<HTML>Jim,
How do you like revive? I am waiting for a sample from my c/b guy</HTML>
October 20, 2003 03:28AM
<HTML>I have the solution to your problem and it provides excellent results for me. Auto Magic makes this vinyl top coating called Black Vinyl Coat which was intended for convertible tops but can also be use on black bumpers and moldings. It's not a dye or a dressing but a latex coating that will last a long time. The key to excellent results is application. Use a foam applicator with even passes. Don't goop it on. Dries fast too. If I get a scrape on my combat boots, I use this as a basecoat before polishing. Good stuff.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 20, 2003 03:29AM
<HTML>Also, if the tim is painted or black plastic, such as side mirrors on late model mustangs, you can use a good polishing compound.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 20, 2003 03:36AM
<HTML>Phil. I really like it, we used Bumper Kote from CB for quite a while, but it really is greasy stuff, but lasts well. The Revive just seems to go on a lot easier and when you get it on the paint or glass it's a lot easier to get off.

Jim.</HTML>
October 20, 2003 03:44AM
<HTML>Jim:

What is Bumper Kote? Silicone or latex?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 20, 2003 03:50AM
<HTML>Brian, from the CarBrite webpage.

BumperKote
"A high gloss, gel-like polymer treatment that restores faded bumpers and trim that is transparent, features a banana scent and contains silicone. "

I am going on a two day training class at CarBrite in a few weeks, I'll see if I can try a few others and let you all know what they are like.

Jim.</HTML>
October 20, 2003 04:08AM
<HTML>Jim:

I see what you're using. Just like the Bumper Magic by Auto Magic I used to use. Great stuff. Maybe I should try CarBrites if it smells like bananas. I never liked the petroleum smell some of my chemicals have.

Any possible chances you can get free sample from them? Auto Magic has free samples to use. They're actually enough to detail a whole car.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 20, 2003 04:14AM
<HTML>Well. I'll ask them ,was going to see what I could get while I was there , I'll let you know. I never noticed the banana smell ! Must be using bad bananas !

Jim.</HTML>
October 20, 2003 04:40AM
<HTML>I know what you mean. Auo Magic's Red Hot claims "Great cinnamon scent." More like, "damn this stuff is burning my nasal membranes." Well, cinnamon is associated with burning flavors right?? :-)</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 20, 2003 12:31PM
<HTML>ValuGard puts out their "ETR Kit" (Exterior Trim Repair). It's a two-part system. Part one is the black recoloring agent. A white toner is also provided that can be mixed with the black to make shades of gray. Part two is a clear UV protective coating, kind of like a liquid plastic, that makes the repair more durable. The kit comes in a zippered case and includes mixing cups, stir sticks, gloves, applicator sponges, and a special solvent to clean the part before applying the other products. Last time I checked, the whole thing was around $50 or so. You get the kit from Automotive International 800-543-7156 or e-mail Ron Ketcham for more info at ketch@autoint.com.</HTML>
October 20, 2003 03:44PM
<HTML>What about Forever Black? I have been tempted to try it, but haven't yet.

[www.foreverblack.com];

David
October 20, 2003 03:48PM
<HTML>

Anyone used a heat gun on faded bumpers, it does work, try on a junk bumper first.

Just a thought.

regards.

John</HTML>
October 20, 2003 04:28PM
<HTML>Mr. Carter I have the solution. I have used ACRYLIC-WERKS POLISH on my textured and smooth finished plastic surface demonstrations for seven years now and still leave the customer blown away because the demonstration was done on their car! No way to fool someone in that enviroment with the customer standing right over your shoulder. When you do this, all I ask is that you re-apply full strength about every 8 weeks, so you will never need to restore again. No greasy residue, just a smooth clear surface. Put a fingerprint on the surface and then use your hand to wipe it off, you cannot rub the restored surface away. Hopefully this forum will find a way to make posting photos easy. If you would like to take a look I've got some photos posted at www.autopia.org/gallery. When there just type in acrylic-werks in the search box. I'm setting up a Gallery on my site so just bear with me. If you ever run into really faded headlamps this product will clear them up fast and easy with no future fading if you wipe them down about every 10-12 weeks. There is no fading between applications! I hope this helps.

Mark G.</HTML>
<HTML>Ive tried the heatgun trick. Watch out, too hot will melt the plastic. Does the Carbrite stuff run down the sides after rain? Thanks</HTML>
October 21, 2003 12:45AM
<HTML>Bumpers ..the Bumper Kote did , but I think this was more due to incorrect use , laying it on way too thick and not wiping it off etc. Havent noticed this problem with the Revive.

Have been using nothing but Revive the last couple of days since I found the bottle sitting at the back of the shelf, going to get some more, really like the stuff. I think the only reason we stopped using it was because the Bumper Kote is supposed to be more durable.

Jim.</HTML>
October 21, 2003 12:58AM
<HTML>Gary:

I talked to Ron today. He's wondering where you've been.

Did anyone ever try the Black Vinyl Coat?

Mark: You have any samples you can send? I'm always on the look out for new products.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

<HTML>Thanks Jim</HTML>
October 21, 2003 04:18AM
<HTML>Car Brites buper coat will not run down the side IF you are sure to use it sparrrrrrrringly. And, wipe it off with a clean rag. It does not smell like banana, nor does it taste like banana. I like it on my cereal though.
DO NOT TRY FOREVER BLACK! Okay, try it if you want to, I never have. BUT iIknow someone who did and I used (once) a similar product. Yipes!
I now use SEM to recolor all of my black trim. That is, in my opinion, the only way to go. Unless you never ever plan on seeing the car or its owner again.</HTML>
<HTML>The ValuGard ETR-II kit contains the products that Mazda and Hyundai have dealers use to permanently fix the discoloring caused by either the use of a wax/grease/tar remover or staining by a wax or sealant.

Hyundia had an independant lab do an accelerated UV and Weathering test to ascertain if the coating, (not a dressing) would hold up.

The test showed that the ETR product, when correctly applied, out lasted the original parts finish by a couple of years.

They had the dealers treat over 27,000 new vehicles with it, due to a screw up by their port operations, and not one vehicle was returned to the dealer with the concern to their knowledge.

Mazda used it on about 4,000 new B-2000 pickups, ones that they were going to have replace all the trim, including bumper covers, cowls, door handles, mirrors etc due to a problem at the storage yard in Edison, NJ.

They tracked the VIN numbers and warranty claims for 3 years and the results was that not one came back into a dealership vs a normal small percentage of new vehicles with trim discoloring.

It is not sprayed on, so easy to apply, it is applied with sponges supplied in the kit.

So, no bull, not a sales pitch, just providing the documented results of a couple of vehicle manufacturers who have used the kit to save millions of dollars and have satisfied customers.

The use of it does require that the user follow the directions, like anything else, if one tries to be a chemist or short cut the proven process in the direction, it may not produce satisfactory results.

We are going to put the kits on special shortly, now that is a sales pitch.

Check our website from time to time.

Ketch</HTML>

February 22, 2004 04:05AM
<HTML>Ron,

Glad to see you posting here now. How have you been?

Thanks for the information.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

<HTML>The Acrilic-werks mentioned above is a great product for short term,do it sell it as with any product it doesnt last unless reapplied every 2 months.40.00,as a professional I tried it on my vette 's targa top and door handles,ITs a lot of work with good results for the short term,havnt used it sense,quickest and longest lasting way is to mask off trim and shoot with low gloss plastic clear like SEM'S or HIGH TECH,of coarse you must clean trim with silicone remover first and spray 2 or 3 light coats. This will not streak when it rains and depending on how good of a job is done and the enviroment, it's permenant.Period!!!This is the only way that 2 hours later your caught in a rain storm ,you will have the same great looking trim 6 months later..</HTML>
February 23, 2004 01:32AM
<HTML>Ron,

Good to see you here! Haven't heard from you since the Delphi forums.

To others, we've been using Forever Black for almost 2 years now, on several cars we see monthly for regular details. We use it on most "porous" plastic surfaces such as hard plastic moldings, cowlings, etc.

Would probably not use anything thing else in the way of dressings, as they tend to fade and run over time.

Have heard fantastic things about Valguards ETR kit, and when my forever black runs out, I will likely place an order for Ron's kit.

Regards,

Mike</HTML>

-Get that great new car feeling!-
<HTML>Hey Ron, Jabovw from Delphi. Just ordered the ETR from Paul over the weekend, and some more custom wheel cleaner.</HTML>
February 27, 2004 05:23AM
<HTML>What website is it I am to visit and look for this kit?</HTML>
<HTML>www.autoint.com</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login