Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CarBrite and Malco Carpet dye

Posted by Jim Hammill 
CarBrite and Malco Carpet dye
October 21, 2003 01:12AM
<HTML>Got to try a couple of cans of this today, and ..wow..why havent I used this stuff before ??

We had a Chevy van that we have simply not been able to get the carpet clean with , and as a last resort decided to dye it .

I have to say I was very impressd with both products , very easy to use and gave a very good result. Both products are areosol cans, Malco has a super duper kind of spray head on it , CarBrites had regular spray head.

Both products gave a very good finish, no hardness in the fibers etc.

Very easy to use and cheap too, both were $5.95 each ( 11.25 ounces) , one would probably be enough to do one vehicle, but this mini van was bad.

Took about an hour , including the masking up and removing the seats etc, probably be able to do it a bit quicker the next time now we know what we are doing.

Going to be doing a lot more of this.

Jim.</HTML>
Re: CarBrite and Malco Carpet dye
October 21, 2003 01:15AM
<HTML>The carpets weren't crunchy?

I thought Malco went out of business? They made an awesome polish called Ruby Glaze.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 21, 2003 01:21AM
<HTML>No they were surprisngly smooth Brian, I sprayed the drivers side carpet first, then took it to the sales managers as they wanted to see what it looked like , when you rubbed your hand across the carpet from the unsprayed side to the sprayed side you couldnt feel the difference .

Jim.</HTML>
October 21, 2003 01:26AM
<HTML>No , Malco are still around and making some excellent products, we are using quite a few of their products.

www.malcopro.com

We are using their Leather and Plastic Cleaner, Leather Conditioner ( is awesome) , Rejuvenator, Liquid Micro, TruGrit, Flash Wax. Metal Polish . All excellent stuff.

Jim.</HTML>
October 21, 2003 01:33AM
<HTML>Nice. I just emailed them for the Ruby Glaze to see if they still make it. I think my old supplier is a liar.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 21, 2003 03:53AM
<HTML>I have been speaking in private e-mail with Bud about carpet dye, a system I use called dyepro and Buds system. I have some experince here and though I might share. What I am gonna share is my experince and Bud has a ton of stuff from his area too.
One thing I was taught about the hardness and how to help prevent it was to use a brush and brush the carpet before and after you dye it. Helps break it in so to speak. Really maes a big difference. Also, dress the vinyl so the dye won't stick so easy and masking can be less dramatic.
The dye pro system I use is fast and efective assuming there need for drastic color change is absent. If there are minor stains, all around dirt spots, or just plain ole old looking carpet then this system works wonders and I can dye a full size car in under ten minutes...in and out. Since it water based, the dye does not stick to any of the vinyl or plastic or leather. It will stick to fabric though.
HOWEVER when it comes to bleached areas the system I use sucks. I lost a client over this a few months back. I seem to recall Bud mentioned his sytem would work better here and I know that sem or carbrite dye would do the job better.
There are some other draw backs to the system I use. $7 a bottle for the dye which I was told would do a few cars (3-5) but I can only get one car out of it. SEM and C/B about 6 bucks a can and one car. The SEM or C/B stuff is right around the corner and I have to order the dye from out of town.
All in all I am happy with my system and the c/b or sem together. I am sure Bud will have much to offer is he is asked.</HTML>
October 21, 2003 04:05AM
<HTML>Phil:

I was also told by Bud heat is a major factor in the dye job.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 21, 2003 04:08AM
<HTML>I wished I'd dressed the vinyl before I sprayed ! In places anyway ..got a little bit of overspray, but it was a first attempt.

Thanks for sharing Phil.

Jim.</HTML>
<HTML>Been using the Malco dyes for years, always brush the carpets soft. I like the fan pattern. I dont like the odor. The spray tip is interchangeable with Pro dye. The silver metallic is great . Puts the flop in the fibers.</HTML>
October 22, 2003 02:49AM
<HTML>The dye we use is the same water-based, heat-active acid dye used in the mills to dye the carpet.

You do not have to brush before or after applying this dye. As for cost you get 1 gallon (128 ounces) for $19.95 and all colors are matched to the 16 most common automotive carpet colors (American; Asian or European).

As far as I knew the aerosol cans are a paint.

Jim, what about overspray? With our water based dyes you do not have to worry about overspray because the water based dyes do not stick to plastic; vinyl or leather.

If you have to cover up for overspray then your dye is not dye but some type of paint.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 22, 2003 03:11AM
<HTML>Bud, maybe I'm just confused, I'll check the labels tomorrow but I am sure it said dye , it comes off pretty easy , for the most part . I'll get back to you on it . The overspray was actually on the metal frames on the bottom of the seats.

Jim.</HTML>
October 22, 2003 03:20AM
<HTML>I have used both (Not Buds though) and with the water based stuff I have, it will stain if it stays on vinyl long enough. Once the water is gone, you have some serious color.
With the can (paint/dye) when i hit vinyl, I use a body prep solvent to remove it...workslike a charm. Ist does not replace masking though. And SEM does claim it be to be dye. I do not know the difference. And, with the water based stuff I use, there is not need for brusihing unless you put a butt-load of product in the carpet. Then when it drys, it does get crusty. Crusty? Did I really just use that word?</HTML>
October 22, 2003 03:42AM
<HTML>you forgot something Phil... cuss words. I read that works for getting overspray off too !

I did end up masking up most of the vehicle , and the bits I did miss were mainly on the bottoms of the seat, the steel mounting frames, and like you, got most of it off with Acrysol.

Jim.</HTML>
October 22, 2003 03:45AM
<HTML>Haha, I think you meant crunchy right Phil?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 22, 2003 05:23AM
<HTML>Jim & Phil:

That is the benefit of water based dye there is NO masking and no overspray danger. You can spray and wipe up with a towel.

Phil, I do not know what Dye Pro uses as their dye but it is hard to believe that a water based dye would leave the carpets "crusty" or "crunchy."

BUDA</HTML>

buda
October 22, 2003 07:54PM
<HTML>It has been some time since I have dyed as per the problems you and I discussed earlier Bud. Perhpas the carpets were not crusty from the dye.</HTML>
<HTML>The aerosol "dye" I use from Pro and Malco, say dye on the can, but I think it is just a coating. It does NOT penetrate deep down to the base of the fibers. Just the top. Sometimes is a real life saver especially on dealer work.</HTML>
October 25, 2003 03:48AM
<HTML>Whatever it is, it is not a water based dye which is what the carpets are originally dyed with in the carpet mills.

Further, dye does not "penetrate" deep into the base of the fibers.

Nylon fibers are porous with many open cells in the fiber. This makes it a great fiber to dye, but also difficult to clean because of these open cells which catch the dirt.

The proper dye that will permanently bond and not fade is a heat-activated, acid-based dye where the acid etches the fiber and allows the color to bond to the open cells.

Regards
bud A</HTML>

buda
October 25, 2003 04:03AM
<HTML>Bud:

You mean acid-based dye right? How crucial is the heat for dying? I've heard regular hot tap water is ideal.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 25, 2003 12:02PM
<HTML>Brian:

According to the manufacturers of the dyes used to dye nylon fibers you must heat the dye to over 150 degrees ++++ to have a permanent, non-fade bonding of dye to fiber.

This was the challenge we faced in getting into this business, how to come with an easy way to heat the dye.

Some commercial carpet dyers mix the quantity of dye they need and then put a submersible heated in the container and let the dye heat up to the necessary temperature. To me this is time-consuming and clumsey.

I did not want to put detailers thru the process of having to mix dyes each time they were to use them and also to use a submersible heater to heat the dyes.

That is how our cart system evolved. We pre-mix all 18 dyes in containers on the cart and when you are ready to use a particular dye it is run thru an in-line heater that heats it to over 160+++ providing the activation that will bond it to the fibers.

As for tap water heat, according to the manufacturers of the dye, this is NOT HOT ENOUGH.

What would you expect marketers of dye systems with no way to heat the dye to say?

I know of some who buy their dyes from the grocery store???? That's right Rit clothes dye.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Ive used the rit in a pinch. On like early 80's carpet. Is a REAL old school trick. I dont remember the last time I did that, come to think of it. lol I think Bud's dye is right on the money. Bud, is their any odor? How long till it is dry to the touch? Thanks</HTML>
October 25, 2003 10:10PM
<HTML>Bumpers:

Thanks for the reply. Glad to see you are moving away from the "old-timer" tricks to recondition cars for the dealer. These tricks have no place in the retail market and if used will only hurt the detailer using them and the industry as a whole.

You need to use the correct products and methods to recondition cars.

Our dye, according to the manufacturers, is non-toxic; will cause no problems to the individal or environment and has NO SMELL.

How long it takes to dry is dependent on how much you put in the carpets just like shampooing. It is water based and that is all that has to dry is the water. I would say you would be dry in an hour.

Regards
bud abraham</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Good to know, Thank You</HTML>
November 02, 2003 06:06AM
<HTML>Seems Like your selling Carbrite? That stuff is junk.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login