Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

wax or sealant.

Posted by Phil Goode 
wax or sealant.
October 22, 2003 03:29AM
<HTML>Okay, it is possible that this has just been asked and answerd but I am confused......
If I put a sealant on my car (which I did) then every week or so I wax it, am I taking off the sealant?
Is it possible to put more than one coat of final finish on a car?
I like the properties I think a real sealant has but I am in an area with rail dust and fall out, and my truck is my image (mobile) so I try to keep it nice and shinny. I ti s so much easier to clean when it has a nice coat of silly cone on it. I put about 150 miles a day on it and it needs cleaning kinda regualr.</HTML>
Re: wax or sealant.
October 22, 2003 03:59AM
<HTML>That's a good question but if I remember correctly, wax has no cleaning properties in it (abrasives.)

If you're using sealant then you wouldn't need to wax right? That's my opinion.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 22, 2003 05:27AM
<HTML>This question was asked and answered before. There is no reason to put a wax over a sealant as you have all the protection you need. It will not hurt anything to wax over a sealant as long as you allow a few hours for the sealant to cure.

But a good sealant will offer excellent long-term protection as opposed to a wax which will basically wash off the car with soap in a few weeks.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 22, 2003 07:58PM
<HTML>With respect to wax vs. sealant. The reason I ask is simply because in my area there is much fallout. The sealant does leave a nice shine, but it only lasts for a short while. It does make a difference to wax again. It aslo seems to make a diference in cling. Thats is to say that after a while the sealant not only looses the shine to some degree, it also looses the repelent type nature. As a result, things stick to the paint more. i wish to avoid this. any suggestions?</HTML>
October 22, 2003 11:21PM
<HTML>Thanks for the reply and comments. What I would like to say in reply that might add to your knowledge is the following:

1. The shine of a product has nothing to do with it's ability to protect or
bead water

2. Typically, a product that offers excellent protection will not provide
as much shine.

3. The reason for #1 & #2 is that ingredients that create shine are, unfor-
tunately ones that take away from durability. And, ingredients that
create durability are ones that take away from shilne.

This is clearly seen in the results from the Comparision Test of Sealants
and Waxes that DETAIL PLUS commissioned. The product with the
greatest shine, Klasse, was 21st in durability. While three products
that were # 1 in durability (DIAMOND PLUS; Zaino; 885 Fleet Wax)
were #5; #12 & #21 in shine, respectively.

4. Also, because a water does not bead on the finish does not mean that
there is not protection. The ingredients in a sealant that provide pro-
tection are not in any way responsible for water beading.

As for the "clinging" issue I would think that another coat of sealant would be better to apply that a coat of oily wax which would tend to "capture"contaminants moreso than a sealant.

The only real benefit of a wax over a sealant is that being oily it could offer a filling property that a sealant would not necessarily offer and also a deeper shine on a black car because of the high content of wax and oil.

Hope that helps.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 23, 2003 03:21AM
<HTML>When you answer a question, you really answer a question. I am looking forward to meeting you in January.</HTML>
October 23, 2003 07:37PM
<HTML>what if i used multilayers? would that help with shine and protection?

last week i put two coats of a strong sealent (markV), then a coat of Klasee, then a final coat of Cabanuba wax. I got a shine that was amazing, even better than when i got my car new.

but does adding layers take away the effectiveness of previous layers?

Also i got a question for Bud, if you are applying Klasse by hand, how do you make buffing easier? i had a hell of a time taking it off, i finally used a quick detailler to do the job. Thanks.</HTML>
October 23, 2003 08:12PM
<HTML>That's a lot of coats. You only need one coat of protection and reapplications from a month to several months depending on use of vehicle.

No need to wax over a sealant.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login