Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Are Our Chemicals Safe For Our Customers?

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Are Our Chemicals Safe For Our Customers?
November 01, 2004 01:39AM
<HTML>I was thinking about this for awhile actually and figured I would ask everyone's opinion. The products we use for detailing (interior obviously) clean very well and protect but are they safe for our customer's health? For example, the carpet shampoo and extraction solution leave residue in the carpets no matter what you use to rinse but the clean smell the customer has in their car, would that be good for them? Glass cleaner fumes, fragrance, etc.

Thoughts?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Are Our Chemicals Safe For Our Customers?
November 01, 2004 03:38AM
<HTML>Brian:

All you have to do is read the Material Safety Data Sheet to know what in the chemicals you are using might be harmful and in what situation. Skin; eyes, breathing, ingestion, etc.

If you cannot figure it out then you need to go to the manufacturer directly. The distributor usually do not know anymore than what is on the MSDS, if that much.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
November 01, 2004 04:42AM
<HTML>Haven't you stated on this forum in the past, that you have used Mineral spirits on the inside?</HTML>
November 01, 2004 05:26AM
<HTML>Yes I have, on a numer of occasions for tough grease stains. But that's exactly my point -- even though it gets extracted out there is still a trace of MS and other harsh cleaners present. Can the small trace of cleaners present a hazard to the customer?

Bud, isn't the MSDS intended for a detailer's use rather than the after effect for a customer?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
November 01, 2004 05:43AM
<HTML>Just make sure you cash their check before anybody gets "sick".</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
November 01, 2004 03:06PM
<HTML>Brian:

The MSDS is to let anyone who reads it know the dangers of a chemical.

If a chemical has some dangerous ingredients it is the responsibility of the detailer to not use it in the car and endanger the consumer.

The MSDS would be for the consumer as well as the detailer, except the consumer does not know to ask for it.

Consumer chemical products are only required by law to put warnings on the label, not to provide an MSDS.

Should not being petroleum based mineral spirits on the interior of a car. There are other solvents you can use that do not leave a smell,but they are more expensive.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login