Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

transfer tag

Posted by Phil Goode 
transfer tag
October 25, 2003 06:54PM
<HTML>Was speaking with a local buy here pay here lot owner for some business. His lot is so full there is no room for my truck. During our chat he asked me if I had a transfer tag...log story short, I now know how to get one and why. Here is my question, msnyh of you have fixed locations and I am soon to get one, how do you get your cars from the lot to your shop?
In this case, since I will soon have a transfer tag, I will be picking up cars to do, do them, then drop them off. Obviously I had rather NOT do this extra work, but in my area it is a buyers market. There will be NO extra fee for this service. It will be an account I only do when there is nothing else to do. Having covered all of that, I was wondering about others experience with this issue.</HTML>
Re: transfer tag
October 25, 2003 08:13PM
<HTML>Hi Phil:

Isn't the dealer responsible for the transfer tags? While working with my cousin, we would drive cars back and forth from the dealer to the one shop and all we would do is get a magnetic tag that said 'dealer' and put it on the trunk lid. They provided this tag.

Are the cars parked so close together where doors can't open and you'll need to move at least 10 cars to get to the one a customer want to test drive? That's a sign of a "front."</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 25, 2003 08:25PM
<HTML>My dealers supply me with the transport tags.</HTML>
October 26, 2003 02:14AM
<HTML>Problem seems to be that here, there are a lot of real hackers. Detail a few days, then drink for a few days. The reason this (and according to him) many dealers want me to have a transfer tag is to show I am ethical and a REAL business man, not a fly-by-nighter.</HTML>
October 26, 2003 03:01AM
<HTML>Hmm, sounds like they're hiding something. Are they a legit business? Because from what I hear and see, the dealer is responsible. It's not you job to have the tags. And why would you, you're not a dealer.

Anyone else know what to do?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 26, 2003 03:38AM
<HTML>Not sure what State Phil is in, but to get a Dealer Plate ( as they are called here ) you have tp spend out some pretty big wads of cash. To start with you have to have a $50000 surety bond ,$300,000 in liablity insurance and have your premises inspected to make sure you are a legit dealer.

I searched high and low on the local DOT site and could find no information anywhere on this ( about collecting and delivering vehicles). Be intresting to see how it comes out . Will try to find out on Monday at the dealership I work at .

Jim.</HTML>
October 26, 2003 04:18AM
<HTML>Ok , found something out here ..

if you get your own dealer plate Phil, then you may only use it on vehicles owned by you . The vehicle may only be driven on the road with a dealer plate from the dealer who owns the vehicle .

So even if you get your own plate, it would illegal for you to use it on a vehicle owned by another dealer. I checked on several DOT sites , (including Florida where I believe you are located ) and it seems to be the rule on all of them.

So in order for you to comply with the law, you would have to use one of their plates to drive one of their vehicles.

Jim .</HTML>
October 26, 2003 04:19AM
<HTML>For the record, I am not searching for dealer tags. I have mentioned transfer tags and there is a difference. I am not selling the car but relocating it for business purposes. These tags are used for many reasons, one of which is for me to move the car from the dealers lot to my shop for cleaning. The dealers have a bunch of insurance on the tag, not the car. If any car that the tags os on is wrecked, the underwtier covers the car not matter who is driving it. Thats why they cost so much. A transfer tag mean the car is insured when I am driving it. To have this tag shows the dealer I have everything needed to be legal AND his insurance is not at risk. Nor is the car.

What I was really asking is, how do those of you that do wholesale work in a fixed location arrange to have the car moved. Keep in mind that in this case there is very little budget for the dealer as the cars a typically crap and all he wants is a clean car to sale. These guys really don't want it to be good, just good enough so they do not spend much money.</HTML>
October 26, 2003 04:56AM
<HTML>then I have no idea wha I am talking about, sorry Phil !</HTML>
October 26, 2003 05:12AM
<HTML>Phil:

Yeah, the "dealer transfer tags" are what you want. A "dealer license" is to sell the cars. The tag is just put on the trunk and tell the cop behind you that the car is registered and insured by the dealer. You are not responsibe for this...the dealer is. If they are concerned about legitimacy, just show them your insurance certificate, DBA certificate and if you have, a photo album of your cars.

But like you said, all they want is clean cars and not detailed cars. If you want my opinion, I'd pass on this dealer and go with a more respectful, organized one. If their lot is jam packed, that probably means they're not selling cars, which would imply that something isn't right with them.

Just my thoughts!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login