Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Confused

Posted by Ed Dick 
Confused
October 26, 2003 03:42PM
<HTML>I stumbled upon this site this morning - after spending about the last week or so looking for some advice on how to keep my new little black car looking good. After spending the last hour or so going over some of the topics here, I believe that I can get some expert advice from a good many of you, if you are willing to share it.

A little background.
I live in western Canada. It is hot and dry in summer - cold and mostly dry in winter. Unless it is a lemon, I will probably keep the car for 10 years or so. I don't have a garage. I did not accept the dealer's offer to have the car detailed when I bought the car - I tend to believe that they would not do as good a job as an independent professional, that they would overcharge, and I am not sure what I can do myself.

1. I recognize that those of you who are professionals could do a much better job than could I, but, can I keep my car looking good on my own?
2. If the answer to that is at least a qualified yes, exactly what should I do? I have read some discussions on waxes and polishes and I walk away without being clear on what I should be buying. My impression right now is that I should go with a polish over a wax. Can I get something decent at my local auto supply store or hardware store - or should I order some product over the net. (I would actually be more than willing to buy a product from one or two of you that post here - not sure if you ship though - especially to Canada)
3. Should I get a professional to do the work - (there are two outfits here in town - Ziebart and Shinefactory - don't know if any of you are familiar with them) - what should I ask them before I give them my business? How long should I expect there work to last? Shinefactory says that they can give me a 5 year job for fifty bucks more than the one year job. Is this reasonable?
4. When I do a search for paint protection, I come up with sites like 5starshine.com, or finalshine.com. Are these legit?
5. I don't know if this question applies to your expertise, but I also would like to know more than I do about undercoating. Is it a necessary procedure - and how well does it work as a sound barrier to road noise?

I am asking a lot. I hope that someone is willing to answer one or two of my questions at least, and lead me in the right direction. I'll say thanks in advance.

Ed Dick</HTML>
Re: Confused
October 26, 2003 04:15PM
<HTML>Ed,
There are a whole lot of different products to use to protect the finish on your new ride. However, without first "preventing" the problem you will be making a lot of work for yourself. The trick is in the washing process. How many times have you looked a car in sunlight and seen all those little scratches that apear as spider webs? Well, most of those are caused by improper washing.
Find your self a nice wash mit, one that will hold a lot of water. Use a good quality car wash shampoo. Rinse your car, removing all the "big" dirt. Start from the top and work your way down. When I reach the bottom, I usually use a different mit. Dirt will collect on the bottom behind the tires etc. that cannot be removed with a regular water hose. Use a different mit because you don't want to be dragging the dirt across your new paint. USE LOTS OF WATER! I will fill a 5 gal. bucket and by the time I finish the largest portion of the car, it's empty. You may want to use two buckets. One for midway or something. The important thing is, keep the water clean that is in contact with the paint. You can't eliminate these small scratches in the paint, but if you really try to "prevent" them you can keep your cars finish looking great for years, no matter what wax or polish you are using for the protection. Good luck,

jer</HTML>
October 26, 2003 04:25PM
<HTML>[www.properautocare.com]

[www.properautocare.com];

The &quot;BEST of The BEST&quot;
October 26, 2003 05:05PM
<HTML>Find a professional detailer that knows what they are doing and let them do the work. Then you can spend more time with your family or pursuing your job and making more money for yourself. Or spend more time with your hobbies.

Let a pro handle this aspect of your car maintenance.

You take it to a mechanic for repair; quick lubes for oil changes, etc.; tire stores to replace tires. Why not a detail pro for cosmetic car care. You do not have th expertise; chemicals or tools you need to take proper care of your vehicle, hands down.

Our trade is not something a novice like you can do. If you could there would be no reason for us to be in business.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 26, 2003 07:52PM
<HTML>ed

Im going to take a little different aproach, but still probably get to the same destination..
I know there are some people that can keep a car looking good for years. My bro had a black car that never saw the first drop of wax/sealant for over 2 years....it still looked like new....I would never recomend that though.
Yes it is possible to keep it looking good for a time..some factors like living in the far north can really change the picture...not that the south doesnt have its issues as well.
So ultimatly I wuold seek the services of a detailer. There are factors that the cunsumer doesnt know exists. (probably better that you dont or your car would never leave the garage hehehe)
I wouldnt find just a shop, but a person in a shop. Usually theres only 1 person in there that really cares. Having a personal relationship with the detailer is a good thing but probably discouraged by most shop owners, to their loss. Knowing the customer means your car is no longer a hunk of metal on wheels, and the detailer will do a better job. Kind of like getting a hair cut, anybody can do it but theres only one that you really trust.
To my knowledge there is no product that will last 5 years, and probalby require repeat visits 2 times a year to keep any warrenty valid. read the fine print.
having the right tools and chemicals, like bud said, is a biggie. A detailer can do more in hours than an average person can do in a days. be prepared to give the detailer time to do the job right, any rush will result in a less than satisfactory and possibly damaging job. think of it like this, next saturday your could...........clean your car..........or go salmon fishin (or something) lol...

as for undercoating...I hate it...Industry standards now are pretty much double sided galvanized steel or composit material. unless the galvanized coating is breached (i.e. your car gets wacked, hit, or commonly refered to as, being in an accident) it shouldnt rust. thats for unibody construction. If you have a frame like a truck or van, that will eventually rust. It comes with a wax coating that eventually wears off. Granted the vehicle will be crushed into a little cube long before it becomes an issue, it is ugly while you have it or trying to sell it. The frame is the only thing i would consider undercoating. As for sound insulation, I doubt you will notice a difference.
some suspension componets may rust with any vehicle but they shouldnt be unercoated.

things to look for in a shop...........dang thats a hard one.
1. someone who cares
2. someone with experience
3. someone with the right tools (hard for a consumer to really know)
4. someone who will spend the time with the car.
5. throw in some luck in finding a good one.

a long but hopefully helpful response
pmack</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login