Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Chamois yes? Chamois no?

Posted by Tim M. 
Chamois yes? Chamois no?
October 28, 2003 04:02AM
<HTML>I've heard both extremes - that a chamois is a miracle tool and should be used to wipe/lift dirt etc. as well as dry everything, including body, and interior. And that a chamois may be okay for wiping dirt but will 'pull' at the wax and lift or peel it away. Any thoughts?

Thanks, you guys have been very helpful

Be blessed</HTML>
Re: Chamois yes? Chamois no?
October 28, 2003 04:24AM
<HTML>A chamois is a great drying tool and is also great for jambs, and windows. I never heard of it pulling off the wax. Although I only use waffle microfiber to dry a car, a chamois is still a great staple.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 28, 2003 12:45PM
<HTML>I refer to the Chamois now as "old school" compared to waffle weave MF. When you look at a Chamois, and the way it is constructed, it is NOT forgiving in terms of what happens if a small piece of dirt or other contaminant comes inbetween it and the finish. I have seen them scratch a finish before for that reason. The design of the MF, with the 90,000 small fibers per squars inche, allows any foreign material to get "trapped" in the fibers instead of allowing them to do damage. Gary</HTML>
October 28, 2003 01:40PM
<HTML>A Micro Fiber Towel is far superior to a Chamois for doing interiors , cant even compare it .

Jim.</HTML>
October 28, 2003 08:49PM
<HTML>Am I to uderstand that some of your dry your cars with m/f towels?
If so, how big are the towels you use and how many cars will one dry before it is too wet to use again for the day? I use abosorbers (2) and wash about twice a week. Both are small and take up no space (space is an issue with me, I am mobile).
I use a small m/f inside the car before dressing and while vac'ing to get dust and such. The results are amazing. I will sometimes use one after dressing to reduce gloss and greasy feel. When I use after dressing, the dressing still helps protect the vinyl but does not show glare so much. It also reduces dust.

I use the ones that come in a pack from WalMart. Not the tightest but sufficient for this purpose.</HTML>
October 28, 2003 09:41PM
<HTML>Hey Phil:

The waffle microfiber towels I use are pretty large in size and absort a lot of water...they ring out really easy to near dryness. I usually have to ring them out 5 times while drying a car.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Dan
October 28, 2003 11:32PM
<HTML>You guys seem to dislike chamois, but which ones have you tried? I use the water sprite, I think it works great, but maybe I need to try the waffle weave towels, I also use deionized water, so I never need to make a finish perfectly dry. Does the waffle weave towel leave the finish absolutly dry, is that why they are so appealing to you guys that use regular hard water?</HTML>
October 29, 2003 12:21AM
<HTML>I use a chamois...an artificial one..similar to the water sprite...My even have the same manufacture...from what i understand most professional grade chamois are made in the same place. but there are other manufacture's that make them..I havent verified it. The big thing is does it work...I have used a MF and heard the benifits...I havent been able to get the same results as my chamois...The older the better..to a point...Mine is about 3 years old and at the perfect point...its very soft and it doesnt drag on the paint...I wish they sold them used hehehe I hate breaking them in.
The only time I have scratched a car (that I know of) was due to inexperience and a poor wash job. If you do cars that come on a car carrier or even a regular car during winter. Make sure there is no rocks and rocksalt on the wipers or other areas that it can hide... I did drag things like that on some paint. If you use a wire bristle tire brush....dont....they are more agressive than need be, and the bristles fall out..If you drop your chamois/MF the bristles may not wash out and you might not notice them.
.....So in short.....hehehe....the cases I have encountered, a MF would not have made a difference....Personal preferance ...dang i sound like a hack...

As far as removing wax during a wash...I supose any friction could do that no matter the source...If you only apply enough pressure to get the job done you shouldnt have to worry. The chemicals in the wash have a far greater chance of removing wax I would say.

just my insight
pmack</HTML>
October 29, 2003 04:06AM
<HTML>Dan does the water you use cost much? I used to use soft water but the results were not really noticeable. Our water here is had, and I am mobile using a pressure washer which seems to undo the softness. I also wash in the sun.

Brian, can you use the waffle towel more than one car in a day?</HTML>
October 29, 2003 11:13AM
<HTML>To answer your question let us look at where more cars are dried faster than anyother place????

That is an automatic full service carwash. They have to turn out a dry car in less than 15 minutes, total. Vacuum; wash; windows and hand dry excess water.

What do they use? Damp terry towels, been doing it for years.

Now many operators are moving to Micro-Fibers. The reason more do not is the cost of the micro fiber vs the terry.

Exporters from India, Pakistan and Egypt are really lowering their prices for terry towels because of the competition from Korea and China who produce all the micro fibers.

I have never liked the chamois, synthetic or natural. Take too much time to use and they "drag" across the finish.

As to the microfiber filling with water, they do. But all you have to do is quickly wring them out with your hand and you are ready to go again.

As for size we offer both 16" x 16" and a 14.5" x 25" at good prices.

As they say, "try them you will like them."

Regards
BUD A</HTML>

buda
October 29, 2003 12:45PM
<HTML>I will probably go with MF when my chamois wears out...I cant stand the drag of a new chamois.</HTML>
Dan
October 29, 2003 07:37PM
<HTML>Phile, the water filters cost me $90 every three months and $76 for an exchange, how often you get an exchange depends on how hard your water is. I go about every 3 months. The money is well worth the time and headache savings, plus chemicals work better with no minerals.

The company is US Filter 1800 466-7873</HTML>
October 29, 2003 11:33PM
<HTML>Phil:

You can use the waffle weave MF on as many cars as you want in a day. They ring out really easy. If I accidentally drop it, I throw it in the wash bucket for a minutes and then rinse it of. You'll love these towels.

Chamois are good as well but it's like the VHS compared to the DVD.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 30, 2003 04:29AM
<HTML>Brian...where do you get your waffle towels?</HTML>
October 30, 2003 04:40AM
<HTML>Rod:

I get mine from Microfibertech in San Diego, CA.

His website is: www.microfibertech.com. The guy's name is Ian.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 30, 2003 04:44AM
<HTML>I have often thought about using the absorber for cleaning windows. The product evaporates really fast outside in the sun resulting in streaks and too much product use. I had wondered if a damp or wet absorber with product would work better.</HTML>
October 30, 2003 12:55PM
<HTML>I sell them at www.perfectautofinish.com if you send me a message saying you are from the forum, I will give you the wholesale discount, no need to make money on fellow detailers, Gary</HTML>
October 31, 2003 01:07AM
<HTML>Phil:

The absorber is a great product and should clean the windows streak free with just water. I wouldn't use and chemicals with it though. Might damage the chamois.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 31, 2003 03:15AM
<HTML>Depending on the water I am sure. Right now, it leaves streaks....bad. I am going to try deionized water for 15000 gals and we'll see then.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login