Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

removing carpets

Posted by Phil Goode 
removing carpets
October 29, 2003 04:10AM
<HTML>I have a customer who has called and mentioned a new stain in his car (long story) Bud and I were e-mailing and it seems to be I may have to remove the carpets from this car and clean. I have never done that befroe and if I decide to d it, I could use a little advice (who am I kidding...a LOT of advice) on how to get em out, and put em back in. What to avoid, how long it takes, who to call and cuss if it screws up...you knoe, all the stuff we do here.</HTML>
Re: removing carpets
October 29, 2003 04:11AM
<HTML>Phil, what sort of vehicle is it ?</HTML>
October 29, 2003 04:29AM
<HTML>I knew someone would ask me that. I can't remember Jim, it is an suv. They all like chevy. I'll check tomorrow (possibly when I have to do it) and get back to ya. is it a drag to do this work in general?</HTML>
October 29, 2003 04:49AM
<HTML>I havent done it for a long time Phil, but it used to be just bolted to the floor, you just have to watch for things like the seat belt indicator light electircal connector etc. You might also have to remove the center console .

If it has things like side impact air bags in the seat (like the Taurus) you have to be real careful as it has a small pyro device . (sounds crazy but I was reading one of the tech bulletins the other day )

Let me know, if it's a Ford vehicle I can print off the correct procedure for it from the Ford Tech computer and fax it to you . If you need it tomorrow , e-mail me and I'll give you my work number .

Jim.</HTML>
October 29, 2003 05:22AM
<HTML>I pulled a carpet today....well yesterday by the time you read this...each car is different but the basics are still the same...Im not sure why you would pull the carpet just to clean it though. can you give a little more info about the problem.</HTML>
October 29, 2003 05:49AM
<HTML>When I said bolted to the floor , electircal connectores et, I meant the seats, not the carpet ! Sorry for any confusion etc ..</HTML>
October 29, 2003 07:14PM
<HTML>I did not see the car yet he had another off sight job. I did make it a point today doing other cars to try and notice what went where and how. It seems that consoles are going to be my problem.
I am sure once I od a few it will be simple, but the first one scares hell out of me. How are consoles removed?

pmack....simply put, I need to know how to get these things out. Never know when it will come in handy. So far, every thing I have read and tried from this website has made dramatic results in my results. But this one car has freon on the carpet and the guy and his family send me a pot full of business. I want to do it right.</HTML>
October 29, 2003 11:37PM
<HTML>Phil:

Majority of bolts in the console are inside the arm rest and under the ash tray, then there are some located around the radio (under the face plate) etc. Label each bolt with a tag writing where each one goes. Take pictures too for extra security. Don't force anything out. If it doesn't come out easily, theres either a bolt or clip still in place. I learned my lesson working on my own car years ago.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 30, 2003 12:19AM
<HTML>philG

heres where you can get some practice....Try pulling your own carpet....You probably have a junk yard near by...if you dont mind doing something for free.. go there and ask to disasemble an interior or 2....they may love the idea of having parts pulled for free....if you dont mind doing something for free....consider the benifits....you gain experience and confidence...it is a great skill to have if you know how to market it.....</HTML>
October 30, 2003 12:35AM
<HTML>philG

I hope i didnt sound like I was beating you up about the free part...I know there are other ears listening....hehehehe.....and i got a little beat up about doing something for free....lol.....let me know if you want to learn how to spend between 20 to 30 dollars and dig through a dumpster and come out smelling like a rose....you sound like a go getter....</HTML>
October 30, 2003 01:48AM
<HTML>I have had more carpets out of vehicles than I can count at this point. You will need a
variety of tools, plenty of patience, consultation with others and you will be fine.</HTML>

The problems of yesterday have produced the blessings of today.
Lot-A-Details, In Seattle
October 30, 2003 03:30AM
<HTML>sab
what are the occasions you pull carpets</HTML>
October 30, 2003 04:10AM
<HTML>S.A.B.
Anything other than typical tools?
Brian, Thanks for the pictur idea. That way, when it all goes tgo hell, I can hand the car owner a picture to remind them what it SHOULD look like. Then I can upload a pictiure of me cussing.</HTML>
October 30, 2003 12:00PM
<HTML>pretty basic tools. A socket set....metric and standard.....a set of torx drivers that fit on your ratchet...a cordless screwdriver to speed things up, and good old fashion screwdrivers....long handle and short. thats about all you really need....but you can never have to many tools..</HTML>
October 31, 2003 05:01PM
<HTML>pmack:

Water leaks, little critters nesting under carpets, extreme soiling, mold and mildew, carpet replacement, carpet padding needs replacing, wiring shorts, etc.

In regards to the tools:
A breaker bar, deep well sockets, short and long box end wrenches, various types of bits for screws and bolts, metric and standard wrenches and sockets, air tools for speed ect. You will find out what you need as you go. I would suggest picking up tools you need as soon as possible.</HTML>

The problems of yesterday have produced the blessings of today.
Lot-A-Details, In Seattle
November 01, 2003 01:19AM
<HTML>thanks SAB...dont you just love cutting jute....have you found a tool that cuts that easily....I have been using razor blades and it eates them up.

pmack</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login