Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Acrylics and Polymers

Posted by Lawrence Albrecht 
Acrylics and Polymers
November 26, 2005 04:22PM
<HTML>What is the difference between Acrylic sealants and Polymer sealants ? What is the advantages and disadvantages of each?</HTML>
Re: Acrylic and Silicone Polymers
November 30, 2005 04:12PM
<HTML>Some sealants claim to contain Acrylic polymers, some sealants are made of Amino-Fuctional Silicone polymers.My question is what is the difference and why would a chemist choose one over the other? Since this board has more experts on it then any other web site , I would think that the answer would come from here.</HTML>
November 30, 2005 04:39PM
<HTML>Go to a good public libary, get out the chemistry books, as to truly answer your questions, would take pages of typing.

Acrylic polymers, are polymers, and there are thousands of molecular chains involved, each has it's use but depends on what one is formulating and for what purpose, what price range, ease of use, etc.

The claims of "acrylic" is actually more a "marketing" approach, using the familiar term that the "public" can relate to.

The basics of polymers fall into three catagories,

While the following do even start to cover all the various chains/resins, these are the three primary polymer resins used, with the weakest first and the most robust last.

polydimethalsiloxanes
polyaminosilioxanes
fluorotelmer

Strenght of the end product is usually determined by which of the three are used, what grade, what molecular chain, and percentage.

Go too low, performance suffers, go to high and applications concerns become an issue.

Other than that, go to the libary and read for hours.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
December 01, 2005 02:46AM
<HTML>Klasse claims to be different because they say that they are a Acrylic. Zano, Wolfgang, Poorboys and others are Silicone Polymers, as is Diamond Plus. My question was the difference if any. Are they more or less the same? Would adding Acrylic Polymers to Silicone Polymers make a better product? Would it be to expensive? Or is Acrylic Polymers just a different silicone polymer . As far as looking up everthing in the library, all you will find is a lot of jargon. My take on chemistry is baking soda instead of bicarb . of soda, vinegar instead of acetic acid etc.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login