Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wet/Dry 8,000 grit & 10,000 grit sandpaper

Posted by Bud Abraham 
Wet/Dry 8,000 grit & 10,000 grit sandpaper
October 30, 2003 06:12AM
<HTML>Anyone ever heard of using 8,000 grit and 10,000 grit wet/dry sandpaper in lieu of compound and a buffer?

It is a concept used in Japan and I have located a supply of such paper, if there is a market for it.

Personally, I have not used it, anyone have any personal experience or knowledge of this?

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: Wet/Dry 8,000 grit &amp; 10,000 grit sandpaper
October 31, 2003 03:13AM
<HTML>Your question was very specific..however, even thogh I have never heard of it before, I would buy it from you just to try it out. I wonder how it does compare. For what purposes could such a high grit be use for? Scatches? Oxidation? Water spots?
If you get it, let me know.</HTML>
October 31, 2003 03:41AM
<HTML>Come to think of it, 2000 grit is like a rough notebook paper. I wonder what 10,000 grit feels like. A tissue?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 31, 2003 05:45AM
<HTML>As soon as I get the price for the 8K and 10K grit paper I will let you know and maybe send out some samples to my friends for testing and evaluations.

I suspect the purpose is an alternative to buffing with either medium or light compound, but I do not know at this point.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 31, 2003 05:53AM
<HTML>Bud...I do a fair amount of wetsanding and chip & scratch repair. I would be very interested in being one of your testers and will give you some honest and informed feedback.

When sanding out a scratch or sanding out a run or blemish in recently sprayed clearcoat, even using 2000 grit can result in burn through. I've often wished for a higher grit for those delicate jobs.

I'd really like to see how it does on chip and scratch repairs where you've filled the chip/scratch and are sanding the t/u paint down to get it level with the surface. It would be interesting to see if the finer grade paper will give that paint some extra gloss after a little buffing to see if it blends better with the original finish.</HTML>
October 31, 2003 06:00AM
<HTML>As mentioned, when I get pricing on this paper per sheet and get some samples I will let you all know.

Thanks for the interest.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login