Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hood insulation

Posted by David M 
Hood insulation
October 30, 2003 02:56PM
<HTML>I have recently purchased a 87 Grand National. I am set to start the long cleaning process.
The insulation under the hood has the Buick logo and turbo 6 logo but the remainder could use a good cleaning without destroying the logos or the insulation.
Any thoughts on how this should be cleaned???

Thanks, DM</HTML>
Re: Hood insulation
October 31, 2003 12:41AM
<HTML>David:

Good question. I avoid cleaning the hood insulation because they are fragile to begin with and over time they tend to get very brittle.

I did a 1982 Mercedes that was stored in a barn for over 6 years. I degreased the engine but didn't touch the insulation. After disturbing the insulation from having the mechanic open and close then to me, the detailer, open and close the hood...the insulation just fell off. Upon picking up the pieces, they insulation literally crumbled in my hand. Had to use a vacuum to clean up the mess in the engine compartment.

So, if I were you, I'd use a foaming cleanser and a gently wiping motion with a microfiber towel, since they absorb better.

Hope this helps,</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Hood insulation
November 01, 2003 12:34AM
<HTML>I agree with brian. some things are better left alone...I would price out a new one and see if you can even get one before i even touched it. especially if it looks fragile. You may find one without the logos a little easier. You could get one of those to put in place for apearance and store the origianl till you can find a better replacement or less aressive way to clean it...It may be better to clean when its flat on the ground so the extra weight of the cleaners wont be working against it. a car club may have some good info on finding parts....good luck on your restoration... always wanted to do that....I want an 67 convertible mustang....hehehehe... to each his own..a grand national is still a cool car worthy of a good restoration...post some pics...

pmack</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login