Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Removing Unwanted Paint

Posted by Garo 
Removing Unwanted Paint
February 13, 2006 04:08PM
<HTML>I have a black Yukon that has some white paint (about the space of the size of a quarter) from a door of another car. I have tried to remove it with a detailing clay bar with no success. Will rubbing compound do the trick or do I need to take it to a detailer and have it buffed out? Thanks for your help in advance.</HTML>
Re: Removing Unwanted Paint
February 13, 2006 05:12PM
<HTML>Before getting out the rubbing compund, you may want to try using a solvent. In many cases, these paint "rubs" can be removed safely using lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, adhesive removers, ect. Personally, I've found 3M's Bug, Tar, & Adhesive Remover to be very effective at removing paint overspray, paint rubs on doors and bumpers, and works extremely well on tar removal....just melts it away. Also, don't forget to reapply wax or sealant to the area as solvents will remove what was there beforehand. If a solvent doesn't take care of your problem, try some rubbing compound by hand. If that doesn't work, I would recommend taking it to a professional detailer to correct the problem. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Matt Williams
Silver Lining Detail</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login