Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Extractor Filling Water

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Extractor Filling Water
November 05, 2003 05:16AM
<HTML>For all of you who use extractors, do you fill the tank with hot or cold water?

I learned in science class if you want water to boil faster, use cold water. I also use cold water to brew coffee...if I use hot water the coffee maker will spit and blow steam out of the dripper.

What does everyone else do? This question is for heated extractors.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Extractor Filling Water
November 05, 2003 05:29AM
<HTML>Brian, first person in to the shop in the mornings fills it up with cold water , then just keep topping it up with cold water in between jobs.

Jim.</HTML>
November 05, 2003 05:37AM
<HTML>Jim:

Thanks for the info. Also, do you have to wait the 7-10 minutes to heat up for the refills or is it instant once the heater is going?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 05, 2003 05:40AM
<HTML>Usally have to wait , ours is not that fast either ..so we really keep an eye on the water level . Usually refill it before each vehicle to make sure there is enough to do the whole carpet if its a big and nasty one .

Jim.</HTML>
November 05, 2003 09:03AM
<HTML>Brian:

As a manufacturer of soil extractors using in-line heaters if you place hot water in the solution tank it will heat much hotter and faster than if you place cold water in the tank.

I am not certain about units with tank heaters as we have not used this type of heating method for years.

Regards
bud abraham</HTML>

buda
November 05, 2003 09:14AM
<HTML>MAINTENANCE TIP FOR EXTRACTORS

Speaking of extractors you need to remember to run vinegar water thru the system about every 7 to 10 days to keep the in-line heater from plugging up.

If you have hard water you need to do it about every week. About 1 cup of white vinegar to a gallon of water.

The minerals in the water will tend to plug up the core like plaque clogs up the arteries.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
November 05, 2003 09:46AM
<HTML>Thanks for the tips.

Now I'm new to extractors but the inline heater is constant heating in the solution line correct? Because while extracting, the line will touch me sometime and will burn upon contact.

I was told to let the water heat up for 7-10 minutes.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 05, 2003 03:07PM
<HTML>Brian:

The inline concept uses a heating core that once hot and once the solution goes thru it will instantly heat it.

Are you asking a question or making a statement with regard to the line? With some of our extractor models the solution line is inside the vacuum hose which prevents contact with the person.

It usually takes 10 minutes for the core to heat up and about 15 to 20 minutes for the solution in a tank heater to heat up. Faster with warm water to start.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
November 06, 2003 05:21AM
<HTML>If I use water from my tank, it heats faster. Water from the hose (water comes from underground here) it takes longer. This seems to imply that colder water takes longer to heat.
My extractor only heats the water upfront. Once the water gets hot, the heater turns off and will not turn back on. It has a sensor in the tank and it is onloy a 1.5 gal tank so if the water level get low, the heating unit will burn up, the water gets low fast. However, the water stays hot long enough to do one car. In between cars, I have to fill the tank completely and star all over again. Sometimes there is still some wate rleft and the tank will heat in under 10 minutes.</HTML>
November 06, 2003 06:07AM
<HTML>Bud:

Yes, it was a question. My line is very hot but the solution water in the tank is just warm. Question being that the water going through the line is being heated as it flows. But you seemed to answer the question already.

Thanks.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 07, 2003 02:54AM
<HTML>BRIAN

WHEN I GO ON A JOB ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS I DO IS PLUG IN THE CARPET EXTRACTOR, THIS GIVES IT ENOUGH TIME TO HEAT UP, PLUS I TRY TO ASK THE CUSTOMER FOR WARM OR HOT WATER FROM THE TAP, SO I DONT HAVE TO WAIT WHEN IT IS TIME TO HEAT UP.</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
November 07, 2003 04:20AM
<HTML>ok this is a rare moment, I can actually remember one thing from the chemistry classes I flunked nearly 20 years ago.

Water that has been boiled or heated once will boil quicker the second time, because a lot of the impurities that were in it are removed the first time. Allegedly the impurities in the water add to the boiling time. If I am wrong about this, please dont say anything, let me savour the moment ok ?

Thanks.

Jim.</HTML>
November 07, 2003 04:39AM
<HTML>This is a timely thread as I too, am new to using an extractor. So, on an average car, how much water do you use to get the job done?

Also, if you keep adding water to it, do you also remember to add your extractor shampoo the each bucket that you add keep the unit topped off? Or do you just premix a big enough batch to get you through the day so you're not constantly measuring and mixing?

Thanks,

Rod</HTML>
November 07, 2003 04:45AM
<HTML>Rod:

I'm not that busy where I'll need a surplus of mixed solution on hand. I just mix as I add. Mostly water is in the solution tank with some shampoo to give it the low suds rinse and carpet brightening. For one car, I'm not sure how much I'm using because my solution tank is a 3 gallon and I have just a little water left at the bottom. Plus I don't fill the tank all the way up since I alays have water left. I usually do the carpets twice just for extra cleanliness and to rid the carpets of pre-spot residue.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login