Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

what works best on exterior trim?

Posted by jeremy 
what works best on exterior trim?
March 28, 2005 01:33AM
<HTML>Hi all I am brand spankin new to this forum, however i have been running a detailing buisness out of my spare garage for almost a year, i use ultra shine armour all and it streaks, still nothing i use works well. let me know what you think
Jeremy</HTML>
Re: what works best on exterior trim?
March 29, 2005 01:49AM
<HTML>Jeremy,

Try a solvent based dressing while their still available, on the exterior trim. The solvent based are more durable and provide a nice sheen to the trim.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Dan
March 29, 2005 01:57AM
<HTML>Meguairs Endurance, crap on tires, excellent on rubber and trim.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
March 29, 2005 02:06AM
<HTML>Ever try automatic transmission fluid?

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
March 29, 2005 03:20AM
<HTML>Auto Magic "Magic Dressing"
www.automagic.com</HTML>
March 29, 2005 01:18PM
<HTML>Our Trim and Molding is VOC compliant, due to the change we made in the solvent system.

Only for exterior trim and on occassion, some interior parts.

Not for tires.

Apply, let set and dry, then buff with a dry towel, sets it, lasts as long as any other.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
March 29, 2005 05:36PM
<HTML>I've been using Auto Magic's Magic Dressing as well on all exterior trim since I've been in business.

3M's Outdoor Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/Protector is a great upsell in my protection packages.

Ron, is the Trim & Molding Dressing solvent based? The new VOC law is confusing me. What exactly is being outlawed? Just mineral spirits based products or all solvents?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

March 29, 2005 05:47PM
<HTML>Since it is not for tires, as hydrocarbon solvents may remove or break down the anti-cracking/uv-protecting waxes in a side wall, we do not recommend it for tires.

It does have a hydrocarbon solvent in it, but is one of the new "exempt" solvents that is CARB compliant, yet will still clean as it is applied, and is non toxic.

In other words, meets the VOC emission regulations of California, New Jersey and all the others states that are preparing VOC regulations

No xylene, etc, not even what many term as "mineral spirits", so it will not create the "dreaded white discoloring" that is often seen later when the "resin/dressing" portion of the product is washed or evaporated off.

It is a "dressing", not a coating, so it is like any dressing, temporary.

If one wishes a "coating" that last for a year or more, then the use of the UV-Gard that is in the ETR kit is what you would use.

It is also VOC compliant.

ketch</HTML>

March 29, 2005 06:42PM
<HTML>Thanks for the info Ron.

In the past 10 years of detailing cars and using Magic Dressing (solvent) on tires, I haven't seen one car with damaged or cracked sidewalls. Do you have any pictures showing this on your website? I'm curious to know what it looks like. Worse damage I've seen on tires is a customer's "love for curbs" hehe.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

March 29, 2005 08:20PM
<HTML>Don't have any, but all one has to do is look at a car that has had that type applied several times, over a period of time.

Compare the sidewall's "slickness/smoothness" of a new tire, to one that never had a petroluem distillate.dimethal silicone dressing used several times, but water based type, it is still pretty smooth, unless allowed to set in the sun's rays, for months without driving..

The one with the hydocarbon based dressing is usually "rough to the touch" and really sucks up dressings.

That is due to the sidewall and it's internal components being compromised.

Ketch</HTML>

March 30, 2005 02:14AM
<HTML>Beside apply it to my clients tires, I have been applying it to my 2001 Chevy truck with the tires still orginal and the tires on my rig and no cracking or drying and the tire is still nice and smooth.</HTML>
March 31, 2005 03:42AM
<HTML>Mother's [back to black] work best to me</HTML>

WE DON'T USE THE &quot;F-WORD&quot; YA KNOW &quot;FREE&quot; A M.O.B BUSINESS
April 03, 2005 12:51PM
<HTML>We use normal car polish on rubber (But you have to be carefull not to get it into cracks).

Never used transmission fluid, but surgical alcohol is good, so is brake cleaner... mostly we use soap and elbow grease. We have neveer found any dressing that lasts more than a few days in our climate.

We are more likely to repaint plastic trim than apply a dressing.</HTML>
September 04, 2006 02:23AM
303 Aerospace protectant has a good name but I've never tried it out. Meguiar's #40 is my choice because it allows me to use one dressing for everything. Griot's dressing is good but expensive. Griot's and Forever Black dyes cover discolored vinyl for a long time but are not as easy to use.
Link to NAPDR article : [www.carwash.com]
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2009 04:48PM by Doug Delmont.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login