Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Training

Posted by Adam Hatela 
Training
November 06, 2003 08:08PM
<HTML>I am not only new to this website, I am new to this buisness. A matter of fact I have not invested any money into the buisness. Just some time involving reseach. I want to "Have my ducks in a row" before diving head first.

My first, of many, questions I have for you is regarding training. I have some experiance in detailing my personal cars, would I benefit from enrolling into a detail training course of some type? Or is it practical for one to self-teach themselves through reading detail books and researching through the net.</HTML>
Re: Training
November 06, 2003 08:55PM
<HTML>Adam:

Welcome to the forum and welcome to this luctarive industry!

While attending training classes would be optimum for you in developing skills required to properly use a buffer, extractor, ozone machine and any other crucial piece of equipment...it is not mandatory. There are classes and seminars that can be attended but do not offer any "certified status" such as an ASE for a mechanic. Although there should be. If you have the time and money for a training course, Righlook.com, Automotive International (autoint.com) PaintBull.com and DetailKing.com offer hand on training. They are the only ones I know of that offer training.

Since you do your own vehicle you already have a taste of what detailing entails. There are several websites that offer Training Tapes and Manuals for you to try and also test the techniques on your own vehicle or abandoned cars at a junk yard. I don't think the junk yard foreman will mind if you burn through the paint with your buffer on a 1982 Chevy Caprice.

Stick with this forum, take down notes and techniques. Learn the chemicals, dilutions, certain stain removers, technical equipment, etc. We are always here to teach and learn. I'm a professional detailer and I'm still learning new things from this forum. If you ever need help we're all an email away.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
November 06, 2003 09:42PM
<HTML>Thank you very much for the reply. I am most defently going to stick with this web site. It seems to be very informative.

I'm going to check the sites you refered to me regarding the hands on training. I have even gone as far as considering taking on a part time position with a local detail service company. To grasp some hands on experiance in a buisness like atmosphere.

Thanks again for your input, and any other advise you may have will be greatly appreciated.

Adam</HTML>
November 07, 2003 02:47AM
<HTML>THE BEST TRAINING THAT I HAVE HAD IS ON THIS FORUM. THERE ARE MANY QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AND PROBLEMS THAT ALL OF US HAVE ENCOUNTERED, LISTEN TO WHAT WE HAVE TO SAY B/C 9 OUT OF 10 TIMES SOMEBODY HAS THE ANSWER. NOW AS FOR BASIC TRAINING I HAVE BOUGHT JUST ABOUT EVERY TRAINING VIDEO, BOOK, CD TRYING TO BETTER MYSELF AS A DETAILER. AS FOR YOU MY FIRST INVESTMENT WOULD BE IN "THE RIGHTLOOK" AUTO DETAILING PACKAGE IT GOES FOR ABOUT $300 BUT IT WAS A WELL WORTH IT. NOW AS FOR PRODUCTS I HAVE ALSO BOUGHT AND TRYIED AND TESTED JUST ABOUT EVERY PRODUCT ON THE MARKET. WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW IS THAT AUTO MAGIC AND CARE BRITE PRODUCTS I HAVE FOUND HAVE BEEN THE BEST. THEY ARE NOT THE CHEAPEST BUT I HAVE FOUND TO BE OVERALL USER FRIENDLY.
THIS IS WHAT I KEEP IN MY TRAILER

COMPOUND: AUTO MAGIC = POWER CUT PLUS
CAR BRITE = WORKOUT 1500
POWER CUT PLUS IS ALOT MORE GRITTY THEN THE WORK OUT SO I WOULD ONLY USE THAT ON MAJOR DAMAGE CARS

POLISH: AUTO MAGIC = BC-1 OR BASE COAT CLEARCOAT STEP 1 THAT WITH BC-2 MAKES A GOOD 2 STEP RESTORATION COMBO BUT FOR HIGHER END CARS THAT YOU ARE GOING TO CHARGE MORE I WOULD USE BC-1 THEN AUTO MAGIC'S NEW CAR GLAZE

IF YOU PREFER CAR BRITE WORKOUT 2000 POLISH/SWIRL REMOVAL ALSO WORKS GREAT AFTER A COMPOUNDING STEP

WAX: NO HANDS DOWN I USE CAR BRITES ULTIMATE CANABURA GREAT FOR DARK CARS

ALL PURPOSE CLEANER : - AUTO MAGICS RED HOT

TIRE CLEANER: - AUTO MAGIC EZ WHITE WALL TIRE CLEANER

RIM CLEANER - CAR BRITE 'S MAG AND ALUM WHEEL CLEANER

GLASS CLEANER - AUTO MAGIC'S CLEAR DIFFERENCE AND STONERS INVISIBLE GLASS

ENGINE CLEANER : AUTO MAGIC ENGINE CLEANER OR HOME DEPOT'S ZEP PURPLE INDUSTRIAL DEGREASER

ENGINE DRESSING: AUTO MAGICS SUPER DRESS IT OR CAR BRITE'S SUMMIT DRESSING

THESE R THE BASICS I AM NOT A DISTRIBUTOR FOR ANY COMPANY BUT THESE PRODUCTS ARE MY RECOMMENDATIONS.
I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
November 07, 2003 04:16AM
<HTML>Adam ... CarBrite offer a two day reconditioning course at their facility , its free too . Couple of us on this forum are going on it in about a weeks time . They also make a good line of products.

How about getting a job with another detailer for a few months to really learn the skills , nothing can compare to learning from someone who really knows what he is doing .

Anything I can do to help. let me know .

Jim.</HTML>
November 08, 2003 08:49AM
<HTML>Trainning is the best way to go... You can pick up so many different tips that you will never learn from a book or video. If you do decide to get some trainning, start with a pad and paper by your side every day so you can write down questions as you come accross them. A good trainner should be able to answer your question or at least be able to get the answer some where else.

Adam, Jim has a great idea but keep one thing in mind if you do take that route. Just because some one has been doing it for 15, 20 or 30yrs does not mean that their doing it the right way.</HTML>

Shone A. Rowley
Mobil Brite
Previous Trainer: Auto Magic of Western NY
November 12, 2003 01:28PM
<HTML>I appreciate everyones input. I'm going to try and locate a training program here local (Tennessee). How can I find out more about the CarBrite two day reconditioning class, where, when etc?

Thanks Adam</HTML>
November 12, 2003 10:16PM
<HTML>Adam, hold on a few more days, going on this class on Monday. When we get back, we'll let you all know how it went and if it is worthwhile.

It is free , and of course it will all be done with CarBrite products . You would have to pay your own airfair and hotel, the course is in Indianopolis.

Jim.</HTML>
November 14, 2003 03:25AM
<HTML>Meguairs has a great professional line and Training classes also</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login