Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Motorcycle detailing

Posted by Rod W. 
Motorcycle detailing
November 10, 2003 04:08PM
<HTML>After I did the job on my insurance agent's Vette last week, he said that he has a buddy who has several Harleys that he's collected and said he would pass my name along as he likes to have them detailed every winter. I told him that would be great, fantastic, etc. like you tell people when they say they'll do stuff like refer you to their family and friends.

Well, I got to thinking that I'm getting better at auto detailing with each job I do. Plus I'm starting to develop my own methods and routines that best suit me during this process and it's coming along great.

Now, I go and jump into uncharted waters volunteering my services to do motorcycles. Actually, I've never done one in my life. I've looked at them and I can see there's a lot of meticulous hand cleaning involved. No machine buffing or anything like that.

So, my question for those of you that do bikes is, what's a good, basic routine to follow? Are there any special compounds that you use on bikes and not on cars? And, finally, how do you charge for detailing bikes?

I'm pretty sure this guy will call me because when my agent says he'll pass my name along, he means that once he tells his buddy about it, I can expect a call. So, any help or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.</HTML>
Re: Motorcycle detailing
November 11, 2003 12:32AM
<HTML>Rod:

Nothing wrong with jumping into uncharted waters as long as you do your homework. Motorcycles are a great way to show off the "details" of your abilities. Chrome, chrome and more chrome! A big can of Mother's Aluminum & Chrome polish and a paint polish and wax and you should have everything you'll need to sparkle the bike.

Chances are that your agents buddy is also a wealthy person as well so he's more likely to have a high-end bike (chromed up Harley, Honda, etc.)

Take some pics when you're done and post them. Good luck!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
November 11, 2003 02:27AM
<HTML>Will do Brian!!! I've already got the S100 Harley shine enhancer & wax and some Maguiar's all metal polish. I got my Q-tips, brushes, microfibers and spoke brush....I'm ready to head to hog heaven, baby!!!

One more thing...what's the best way to price bike details? Hourly or a flat fee?</HTML>
November 11, 2003 02:51AM
<HTML>I'd do flat rate since the bike won't take as long as a car and the time pace is up to you. Plus if you do hourly, they'll ask how many hours so you'll have to come up with a price either way.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 12, 2003 04:44AM
<HTML>Hey Rob, flat rate is the best way to go. Don't underestimate the time you think it should take! I learned the hard way on that on. It may be a smaller peice of equipment but as you will see, there are alot of time consuming parts to "Detail".
P.S. Don't forget the underside... That's a no no... I know from exp. smiling smiley</HTML>

Shone A. Rowley
Mobil Brite
Previous Trainer: Auto Magic of Western NY
November 12, 2003 04:56AM
<HTML>Thanks Shone. When I see a nice bike when I'm driving and see all the chrome and small parts, I figure that's got to take a decent amount of time to polish everything, especially the underside, lol!!!

I figure I'll go with a flat rate of about $140 or approximately 4 hours/bike. When it comes to a lot of hand work, I'm very meticulous and like to take my time with it and do it perfect. Not like a car where the owner may not notice some stuff. Since they're smaller and mostly chrome, anything you forget will definitely stand out!!!!</HTML>
November 14, 2003 12:26AM
<HTML>i do bikes also,mostly harleys.i never do one for under $200.00.me and one worker takes min of 3 hrs.never got a complaint about the price.every bike i did i got at least one new customer from word of mouth.</HTML>
November 14, 2003 02:07AM
<HTML>Welcome to the forum Andrew!

We've been having a lot of discussions on here about keeping prices high as to not put ourselves in the bottom feeder category. Since I raised my prices, I've never had anyone say I'm to expensive.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 14, 2003 05:19AM
<HTML>Thanks Andrew. I'll definitely keep your advice in mind. Do you get more for cars or do you charge more for bikes due to the high amount of hand detailing...like, more of a specialty?</HTML>
November 16, 2003 02:52AM
<HTML>i usally get 200 for a bike min and have gone up to 275 in some cases. cars..complete including motor i usally start at 200 suv's 250 to start.i may be luckyer than some of you because i do this on the side.i work full time as a tech at a caddy-pontiac-gmc dealer.i have been detailing since 1989 and still have my 1st customer.so my phylosify (nice spelling lol)you get what you pay for.i tell people flat out.i'm the most expensive detailer in the area.i think i do the best job.i clean em like i own them.i give people estamites on every car before i do any work.that way there is no shock and aww when it comes time to paying.prices are not negotible and if they want it cheaper i give them 3 or 4 phone numbers were they can get it done.it takes a lot of time and effort to clean cars and bikes properly.don't sell yourselves short. i will give you two quick examples.one lady i charge $150 for a complete.sounds cheap but she takes the car to the carwash before i get to her house LOL.and i do her 5 cars every 2 months.. yea!on the other hand i did a 95 sts,never been done in or out.me and my worker spent 6 1/2 hrs doin it charged $400.the lady was so happy she gave me $50 tip and 2 more cars to do!proper detailing is an art form and really can be a pain in the butt.i always love the finished result though.thx for the forum.DON'T SELL YOURSELF SHORT. drew</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login