Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How agressive can you get on newer clear coat?

Posted by UptownDetail 
How agressive can you get on newer clear coat?
June 13, 2007 02:35AM
I had a customer today with a 2002 Dodge Intrepid. For the most part, his paint was in decent condition and the basic wash we gave the car made it look pretty good. His painted front bumper, however, looked as if it'd sat in direct sun for all of its 5 years. I used a light compound called 'crystal buff' recommended by my detail supplier for light duty with a medium foam pad. It definately improved the finish, but the paint still looks oxidized/aged. He was happy with everything and we'll be returning to him in a month, but I want to find out how deep I can get into the finish before the clear coat is gone. I am using a DeWault variable speed DA buffer, and have a medium and fine foam pad for now. The next time I come across the same type of condition or the next time I visit this customer, I'll be better prepared. Thanks in advance!

-Russell
Re: How agressive can you get on newer clear coat?
June 14, 2007 02:44AM
Russell-
How deep you can go depends on how much clearcoat is left from the original 1.9 or so mils. If all of the clearcoat is still there, you are supposed to remove no more than 1/3 or 1/2 a mil , depending on who you talk to.
Without a paint depth guage, there is guesswork involved. Figure that without wet sanding, a compound buff is unlikely to remove more than 1/3 mil . A DA buffer is unlikely to remove much paint period. To do these jobs quickly, you may wish to use a rotary to compound and polish, followed by a final swirl-free polishing with your DA. I believe New Again said you can get results with your Dewalt DA by using a Maroon Meguiar's foam pad with compound such as Meguiar's Diamond Cut.
I hope that is some help. Severely oxidized paint can be too deeply affected to be saved, meaning repaint time. Make sure the bumper is, in fact, clearcoated to begin with. Severe oxidation is an indication it is single-stage. TO PROTECT YOURSELF, you can get a signed waiver from your customer in which he releases you from liability in the event that your paint correction efforts result in damage such as removal of all remaining clearcoat. That moves the risk to the customer.
Post again and let us know how these buffing projects turn out.
Doug

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2007 03:02AM by Doug Delmont.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login