Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Free DVD From Griot's

Posted by Doug Delmont 
Free DVD From Griot's
March 09, 2007 08:42AM
Someone on the Roadfly forum alerted everyone that Griot's Garage is now giving away their 15 minute DVD on car polishing . www.griotsgarage.com

I assume their Detailing Handbook is still offered free in black and white as a download...

Doug
Re: Free DVD From Griot's
March 16, 2007 08:19PM
Other DVDs on detailing are available from----
www.autodetailingsolutions.com , which has the Mike Phillips Corvette buffing video at $24.95. I believe this to be the video New Again rated highly.

www.adamspolishes.com , which sells a PC polisher DVD for $10 and gives away a free detailing DVD with every order.

www.autogeek.net , which has a DVD by Pinnacle for $9.99 ( $7.99 with an order ).

www.rightlook.com

And of course there is Gary Kouba's new DVD, discussed on a separate thread.
If anyone views these, please post reviews.
Doug
Movie Reviews-Detailing DVDs
March 24, 2007 04:14AM
www.adamspolishes.com provided their free DVD with my order. It is well-made and entertaining. The procedures are enthusiast-oriented and therefore more time-consuming than the professional steps I follow. Adam cautions that some modern German cars have computer gizmos that can go haywire if you get them wet during engine washing. Adam recommends using only microfiber towels and scrapping the cotton.
Adam's other DVD, " PC POLISHING ", shows how to wrap a large micro towel over the foam pad to buff out dried wax. We get to follow the complete claying, polishing and waxing of a cobwebbed black Mercedes.
In " How To Use the PC For Show Car Results ", Mike Phillips improves the finish of a 1960 black Corvette. Along the way, he demonstrates techniques such as doing a test spot to make sure your procedure works before buffing the whole car, using automotive tape to tape off seams and any high character lines you don't want to buff. He even tapes over his wedding ring to avoid scratching the car. You get a long movie for your money but it is somewhat repititious. Nicely made and authoritative.
The Pinnacle DVD follows the complete detailing of a black Yukon. As is the habit on all of these DVDs, the methods are best-suited to driveway enthusiasts.
Both the blotting and wiping systems of drying the paint are demonstrated.
These DVDs serve a need but I'd like to see a pro DVD showing a car being done with the best equipment in minimum time. There are no surprise endings in these movies-The hero succeeds and they always seem to end with perfect-looking black cars in the sun as music plays in the background. If only real life were like that (LOL).
I'm not sorry I bought these DVDs. I feel that learning about your profession or hobby is a lot better than wasting money on the Hollywood movies of today. In detailing DVDs, nobody uses the "F" word even once and I didn't even miss it.
Doug
March 24, 2007 06:17PM
www.adamspolishes.com also offers a free laminated procedure card with any order if requested.
Doug
April 05, 2007 04:02AM
" Buffing With Confidence " is an 82 minute DVD on rotary buffing, $49.99 from www.kleencarauto.com or www.danase.com
May 30, 2007 01:24AM
People :
I am going to attempt to print the link to a funny YouTube parody video entitled " Mom My Ride ", a send-up of " Pimp My Ride ". This film is a detailer's worst nightmare and a real laugh.
I'm lumping it in here because it is instructional in a way.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login