Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ASE Certification

Posted by Jim Hammill 
ASE Certification
November 14, 2003 05:13AM
<HTML>Given that there is no actual National Certification for detailers I thought about doing this .

ASE do certification for Collision Repair and Refinishing.

Its in 4 parts, and I am only going to do part one , or Test B2 . I got a booklet from them that gives you more details of what the exam entails etc, and here are some brief excerpts of what you are tested on, and even though it is aimed at the body technician, I think most of it applies to detailing as well. I havent included all ot if as I am too lazy to type tonight .

A/Surface Preparation.

2. Remove Dirt, road grime, wax or other protective coatings from area to be refinished and adjacent vehicle surfaces.
3. Inspect and identify substrate, type of finish, film thickness, and surface conditions: develop a plan for refinishing.

E/ Finish defect, causes and cures.

5. Identify water spotting on the finish surface :correct the condition.
6. Identify finish damage caused by bird droppings , tree sap, and other natural causes; correct the condition.
7. Identify finish damage caused by airborne contaminants , (acids, soot, rail dust, and other industrial related causes); correct the condition.
8. Identify chalking (oxidation) ; correct the condition.
10. Identify damage casued by buffing painted surfaces; correct the condition.
11. Identify film defect from too much or too little film build; measure finish film thickness.
12. Sand and polish minor surface imperfections.

I am seriously considering doing this as it isnt very expensive, about $60 or so, but you do have to have two years of on the job experience , but most of us already have that . Also, you would be able to use the ASE logo in your adverts/flyers etc. You wouldnt have to advertise that you are a collison repair technician, but you could advertise that your a "ASE Certified Refinishing Technician".

Before I do this, I am taking a 6 week course at my local community college to learn about painting, scratch and dent reapir etc . Then going for the certification in the early part of next year.

Intrested to hear if anyone thinks this is a good/bad idea etc .

Jim.</HTML>
Re: ASE Certification
November 14, 2003 05:22AM
<HTML>Jim...this is a great idea. Any education to expand your knowledge and improve your quality of work as well as the services you offer is never a bad idea.</HTML>
November 14, 2003 07:07AM
<HTML>I was an ASE Master mech and ASE cert. painter (refinisher).

It didn't help me the least little bit being that I am my own boss.

It may help if you want to get a few $$ extra in your check if you work for somebody.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
November 14, 2003 08:52AM
<HTML>Jim:

The talk of certification in the detailing industry has been bantied around for years.

No one really wants it because they do not know who will do the certification and if it really makes any difference in any case.

It is a nice thought but the detail industry is a long way away from ever having an accepted certification program.

That does not mean that you cannot go to classes and get a certificate an place it on your wall of the shop.

We offer certificates to all who attend our classes and they put them on the wall and it adds to the creditability for your customer.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
November 14, 2003 09:17AM
<HTML>It will increase your salary if you're working for somebody else I'm sure but it's a great certification to have for customer's state of mind.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
November 14, 2003 09:30PM
<HTML>MR. HAMMILL GO FOR IT, YOU WORK AT A DEALERSHIP MAKE THAT $$$$$$$$
AND ADD THAT ASE TO YOUR CREDENTIAL GREAT IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</HTML>

November 14, 2003 10:04PM
<HTML>Jim, I looked inot the local school for some body repair education...the list is over two years long so I made other plans. If I coulkd have done what you are thinking about, I would have jumped at the chance.
Bud, what all is covered inh your classes?</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login