Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

winter care

Posted by Joe Yak 
winter care
March 05, 2002 10:37PM
I just got done washing my new baby. My hands are frozen. But my car is clean and salt free!. I have a question for people like me in cold places (northeast) that use salt and sand on the roads. In the winter, our cars get dirty quickly. How do others in these climates take care of their cars so that 1) the salt doesn't eat your paint and 2) you don't freeze your hands etc. I don't have a garage but I can't stand white salt sitting on my paint job! Any Ideas I can get to avoid frostbite would be appreciated. I will not use car washes, they screw up the paint job with the sand left over from the previous vechicles.
Re: winter care
March 06, 2002 12:33AM
use a good quality wax before the winter...
maybe you could rent out a garage?
March 06, 2002 12:43PM
My heart goes out to you with mutual concern.....I'm spoiled, I just go to my shop and pour warm water on my car. Do you have a "touchless" car wash? or do they have pressure wash bays out there? other than that, your only option is to get a bucket of warm water and gently give her a bath once in a while when the salt gets too bad....TURBOMAN

March 06, 2002 02:08PM
Until 6 moths ago I lived in the snowbelt of PA. If your car has to set out in the cold all the time make sure you wash it when the temps are above freezing long enough for it to dry. You don't want the left over rinse water to get in to trouble spots(door locks,window motors & seals ETC...) and freeze. I always spent as much time spraying out behind trim, Mudflaps,wheel wells as I did washing the visible areas. It is amazing how much road junk hangs there. If left there it will chafe it's way through the paint and then it's rust city. I also have heard of people spraying a light coating of used warm motor oil under the entire car before winter sets in. I can tell you as an ex mechanic it was messy to work in but it really worked. It looks a little strange but if you wear rubber gloves while washing you will stay alot warmer. Maybe this is old news, If not I hope it helps. Stay Warm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login