Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Boat Detailing How-To DVD

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Boat Detailing How-To DVD
November 20, 2003 11:18AM
<HTML>Hello all:

I'd like some input about what I'm doing in the following months. I've been getting a lot of calls from detailers and carwash owners regarding my article on boat detailing in the magazine. They want all the information they can get and I'm happy to spread the knowledge but feel I can make some money from consulting or better yet, put out a how-to DVD.

How much would you all pay for a series of DVDs for a complete set of How-Tos for boat detailing & reconditioning?

I'm talking from boat washing to teak refinishing.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Boat Detailing How-To DVD
November 20, 2003 08:34PM
<HTML>I'm not sure what I'd pay.... depends on the quality and number of videos. I see other training video sets going for well over $100 so that might be a frame of refernce.

On a side note, you might want to ask Anthony O. about production costs. He thought about doing a training video and the cost was insane. Something like $1000 per minute, and that was if he did his own script and speaking. No joke. So a "series" of 60 minute DVD's could run into low 6 figures pretty quick.</HTML>
November 21, 2003 01:29AM
<HTML>Thanks for the input.

But I will be doing this all by myself. I have really good editing software, digital camcorders, and printing materials.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 21, 2003 03:40AM
<HTML>How to videos for me, have ranged from $15 a video to over $300 for a set of three. of course the contents were different and the info on the cheaper one would be very easy to find from another source. I have a collection of videos and DVD's for my other job and my favorites are the ones that are complete. That is to say they cover it all. If you do it, be sure to go all the way. I know nothing about detailing boats. I would love a video (prefer a DVD) that would have enough info on it or the set that as I grew I could refer again to the instruction for more information.
I would bet you could charge a small mint.
Production quality is subjective. So long as the camera does not shake and your head shows moe than your feet, I'll buy one. Keep me posted for sure.</HTML>
November 21, 2003 04:15AM
<HTML>Phil:

Thanks for the reply. The series I will be doing will be complete and non shakey!

All I need is a donor boat but I'm sure one of my customers will jump at that chance. I will show a severely oxidized boat turn into a gleaming gem...steps involved and products used. Also, safety precautions.

Phil, maybe you can be my reason for me to get the new DVD camcorder! One customer is all it taked to buy a new toy. Like if you don't have an ozone generator but really want one and a customer calls for odor removal, you now have a reason to buy one, hehe.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 21, 2003 04:59AM
<HTML>I think your idea is excellent and would be very interested in a complete how-to guide for boats as there's an abundance of them around here in Michigan and a lack of competent detailers for them.

As for price, I think you'd be reasonable if you charged in the $100-$150 range. One thing, make sure you cover trouble spots and how to deal with them. And give some tips on pricing & how to structure the services offerred as well as average times to do each job.

Heck, you could even do a bonus DVD for car detailing. Your work is some of the finest I've seen and I, for one, as a newer kid on the block would love to see your system from start to finish!!!

Please keep us posted on this.</HTML>
November 21, 2003 08:25AM
<HTML>Rod:

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate that!

I was thinking in that price range as well since DVDs are more expensive to buy in bulk than VHS. Plus, DVD quality is by far the best available.

One of my customers has a donor car for me to do the auto detailing DVD. It's a 1980 something Volvo with highly oxidized single stage paint. These are the cars that give detailers a great name. Best before and after results.

DVDs will cover everything invlved in the boat detailing process:

Washing, compounding, polishing, waxing, sealing, chrome brightening, brightwork (teak & mahogany) refinishing, diesel stain removal, cabin cleaning, sanitizing, etc. Also, proper care for Plexiglass, Issan and Strata Glass.

Written field manual for pricing, advertising and technical procedure will be included.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 22, 2003 07:00AM
<HTML>Sign me up, Brian!!! Please...make sure it's available before the spring boating season starts up. I'd love to get a piece of the marine biz in my area and this could help me do it. I did a couple boats earlier this year and really enjoyed it. I'd love to be more sophisticated about it and actually know what the hell I'm doing, lol!!!</HTML>
November 22, 2003 10:46AM
<HTML>Rod:

Thanks...will do. I'm going to speak with the owner of a local boat storage yard and see if he'll let me do the boats indoors, since they already pulled the docks here for the winter.

I'll keep you all posted!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 26, 2003 01:27PM
<HTML>Brian Angelucci,

Offering a "complete set of How-Tos for boat detailing & reconditioning" sounds like a great idea. There is a constant need for that kind of information.

Here's a link to an interesting boat detailing article that was recently printed in the Professional Carwashing and Detailing Magazine. Enjoy...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GET ON BOARD WITH BOAT DETAILING. A natural extension of auto detailing, boat detailing offers few barriers to entry.

Summary: For detailers living near waterways, boat detailing can be a natural extension of auto detailing, with few barriers to entry. Getting started can be relatively easy, but there are a number of considerations before taking on those first customers.

[www.carwash.com]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank Canna
Mirror Finish Detailing
Williamstown, NJ
[mysite.verizon.net];
November 27, 2003 09:21AM
<HTML>Frank:

Finally nice to meet you. I've been checking out your site within the past 2 years. So far you're my only marine competitor that I know of but you are still far away from me so we can pick each other's brains without stepping on toes.

I plan to begin production for the DVD withing a few weeks. Hopefull everything will be complete by spring. If interested in the set, let me know.

Where in NJ do you do boats? When it comes to Delaware River marinas, I usually only get down to Pennsauken.

Thanks for the article!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login