Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Seat belt cleaning

Posted by Rod W. 
Seat belt cleaning
November 21, 2003 05:41AM
<HTML>What have you found to be the best way to clean seat belts? I run across some really nasty ones now & then....stained, dirty, just nasty looking and I haven't had much luck at getting them to look better.

Thanks, guys.</HTML>
Re: Seat belt cleaning
November 21, 2003 08:10AM
<HTML>I soak a towel with cleaner, grab the belt from the top, hold on to the buckle so the belt is tight and squeeze/wipe up and down. For spot stains I use a cleaner and a toothbrush.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
November 22, 2003 04:19AM
<HTML>POWER WASH IT

RED HOT WITH HOT WATER AND A STIFF BRISTLE BRUSH THEN TAKE A TOWEL AND WIPE OFF IF REALLY BAD A LITTLE BIT OF KEROSINE WORKS BUT USE HEAVY FRAGRANCE - P U ME THINKITH THAT STINKITH</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
November 22, 2003 06:24AM
<HTML>Thanks guys!! Brian..what kind of cleaner do you mean? Like an all-purpose or an upholstery shampoo?

Rob...you sure like that kerosene, don't you, lol? Aww...we wouldn't want the little precious ones that messed 'em up in the first place to have kerosene (horrors!!!) filling their devious little nostrils or have something so flammable laying across their precious little hearts now, would we? heh-heh-heh.

Dad lights a cigarette...KA-BOOM!!! Where's, Jr.? Talk about your spontaneous combustion, eh?

Where do you get Red Hot from? Is that a Car-Brite or Auto Magic product? Or something else, altogether?</HTML>
November 22, 2003 07:16AM
<HTML>Fellows:

Not to rain on your parade about what you use on seatbelts, BUT, there is a HUGE liability issue here.

Should a seatbelt fail whoever used degreaser, kerosene or some other high alkaline; acidic or petroleum disstillate solvent could be liable, if it were found out.

This was discussed in great length on another form. I would suggest that if you cannot clean a seatbelt with carpet and upholstery shampoo I would tell the customer you cannot use anything more harsh on the belt for fear of damaging the fibers.

Just some well intentioned thoughts. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
November 22, 2003 10:44AM
<HTML>Rod:

I do use upholstery shampoo and not a heavy degreaser. Like Bud said, the threads can wear and loosen, causing some serious problems. I read this on the PC&D forum and never had a clue that would happen.

But on antique show cars that are collectors and not really driven, if heavily soiled, I use an all-purpose just to make the cleaning process faster.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

November 23, 2003 06:16AM
<HTML>Bud...your point is excellent and I will certainly take it to heart. Safety should always be our main concern and I never even thought of it with regards to the belts themselves. Thanks again!!

Brian...I'll keep that in mind & try the shampoo with a brush next time. I also have some of that foaming spray can shampoo I'll try. It's good on carpet for spots that are heavily soiled. Also, great idea on the show car belts.

Once again...this forum is just fantastic. It helps us all to be better professionals and to do the job right!!! The more we learn, the more we earn!!</HTML>
November 23, 2003 08:46AM
<HTML>VAPOR STEAMERS

I totally forgot about the vapor steamer. This unique device will give you the best results for cleaning stains from carpets and fabric upholstery; cleaning up matted carpets and CLEANING SEAT BELTS.

The problem is the cost of the units now on the market. However, I am importing two units as I write and they will be on display at the Mobile Tech; Trim and Detailing Show in Orlando in January.

I hope to be able to sell one of these units for no more than $250.

There is also a vapor steam gun system I am waiting for and hope to also have it at the show. If this does what I think it will do every detailer, mobile or fixed can add vapor steam cleaning to their arsenal of cleaning tools. The gun should provide sufficient steam to clean whatever needed in the interior. I think these will sell for less than $200.

I will keep you posted.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
November 23, 2003 10:26AM
<HTML>Bud:

Speaking of steamers, have you tried or heard of the performance if the Shark Steamer? I brought this up in a past forum before.

It sells for $99 at Linens n' Things. Sells on TV for $189.95</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Dan
November 25, 2003 04:55AM
<HTML>For seatbelts, we let an uphostery shampoo soak for a few minutes, use some clothes pins to keep them from retracting back in, then extract them, works for us.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login