Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Pads

Posted by Lone Wolf 
Pads
December 21, 2001 01:13AM
Hello,

Ok.....I will start looking some time early next year for a polisher.

Now......... what in the world are all the different types of pads for?

What are the different kinds, and what would each be used for?

Thanx
Re: Pads
December 21, 2001 06:30AM
The are foam pads along with the traditional wool pads. There are also terry cloth bonnet pads that are made for the orbitals too.

Foam pads are used more on the basis to apply polishes along with applying waxes & glazes. You can also use a terry cloth bonnet pad to remove polishes & waxes too.

Foam pads are used more frequently for their use of not heating up the vehicles metal surface as a wool pad will do. Unproper use of a wool pad will heat up the vehicles surface & can cause burning of the vehicles painted edges of fenders & body lines.

Also to note that foam pads will not create any swirls marks such as wool pads will do due to unproper use or misuse of a particular misuse of a product.

Foam pads range into two classes. There are open cell foam pads along with closed cell foam pads. Open cell pads are used mainly for compounding or using an aggressive cleaners. Closed cell pads are used for glazes along with fine polishes & waxes.

To confuse you even more, wool pads are used for severe compounding & cleaners. There are many different types of wool pads too. These will depend on the amount of depth of the wool that is made up into the pad.

In conclusion, foam pads will provide you with a better swirl free results & a less headache in the long run. The different foam pads will range in a variety of different colors due to the various makes of different types of pads.
December 21, 2001 10:30PM
What are good rules of thumb?

How would I know if the speed is to low?
How would I know if the speed is to high?
How would I know if the pad is plugged?
How much surface can be done with a pad before cleaning?
How to clean and store?
Are there differences in how to approach clear coats vs paint?
Any other bits of info that I should consider or know?

I relize much of this is vague, but basic rules of thumb would be appreciated.

Thanx

LW
December 22, 2001 05:12AM
First of all, what type of enviroment are you located in & how long have you been into detailing? Are you doing it for self interest or are you thinking about persuing it further into a business. A lot of these questions have been asked prior to this post throughout the new message board & the end of the previous board.

Mad Dan has an excellent solution to your specific questions & can provide in depth answers that you have stated above.
December 22, 2001 06:01AM
I have methods that work for me. A lot depends on the problem you are facing, the type of pad you are using and the product you are using so I'll leave this one to the professionals. I can tell you that if you are stepping into the world of rotary buffers, you'll need LOTS of practice.
December 22, 2001 06:26AM
I live in Wi. and started getting into detailing a few months ago. I'm sure you recall my first coming to the board. That was my first intrest.

As for the future. I don't have a facility to do detailing in the winter right now. I can do small cars in my garage. I do my vehicles, family and friends sometimes.

I don't want to dive into a business right now as I have no background in detailing. I want to slowly gain knowledge and supplies/equipment as I go along. If I become good at it and it takes off I will give it a try on a part time premise.

Originally I thought I would be getting laid off from my present job and thought about getting into detailing. As of right no I don't know if that will happen. So I want to continue to learn and gain so I can pursue the oppertunity when I need to.

I think it best I gain all the knowledge I can now, rather that try starting off a business so green.
Mad Dan's Post
December 23, 2001 05:20AM
I missed it. Which one is it?

thanx
Re: Mad Dan's Post
December 24, 2001 02:50PM
rule of thumb
while pad for fine finish polishing
green pad for med grade polishing
yellow pad aggresive polishing
I WOULD EXPERIMENT ON AN OLD CAR OR JUNK HOOD IF YOU DON'T HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE

Re: Mad Dan's Post
December 24, 2001 07:07PM
Regarding the different pad structures will depend on the various makes of the different companies that make these type of pads. Use what the maker suggest what the pad is intended for and not by color due to the different makers. This is the correct rule of thumb due to the makers changing their pad compostions on a regular basis. Nothing ever stays the same as you will see in the industry.
Toddco
December 26, 2001 06:07PM
You posted

Mad Dan has an excellent solution to your specific questions & can provide in depth answers that you have
stated above.

Which post are you reffering to?

thanx
Re: Toddco
December 26, 2001 08:04PM
He seems to have all of the answers for all of the questions that you have stated in the previous post that you have inquired about. Any question that I seem to answer, he seems to think he has a much more in depth answer for that specfic question.
Dan
Re: Toddco
December 27, 2001 04:26AM
I barely read your posts anyway, so no I dont sit here and say well, "how can I out do Toddco on this subject". But now that I read your replies good thing I did post!lol.
Wool/Foam Pads
December 27, 2001 05:14AM
Ben following all these pads comments.
Do they also apply to orbital polishers?

Allan
Re: Wool/Foam Pads
December 27, 2001 07:23PM
not really, unless you are talking about a machine like the porter-cable. the orbital doesn't really build up heat like the rotary and has its own applications.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login