Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

low cost operator-why pay more for a good job?

low cost operator-why pay more for a good job?
November 25, 2003 04:26AM
<HTML>why would a customer pay more, when they can get the same service & quality for less than competion charges?

less=more</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
Dan
Re: low cost operator-why pay more for a good job?
November 25, 2003 04:42AM
<HTML>I understand your point, but how do know others are doing the same things you are doing? What exactly do you do for $39?</HTML>
November 25, 2003 06:29AM
<HTML>Because you ask the question indicates that you do not know what motivates loyal customers.

Motorists who buy detailing services want, before price:

a. Confidence they are dealing with a reliable company
b. Dependability - to know they can depend on the company
c. Reliability - to know the company is reliable
d. Quality - to know they will get quality work

Then there are things like insurance. Do low-ball operators have garage owners liability insurance in case they damage the customer's car while working on it. What about insurance when they drive the customer's car to and from the self service carwash. By the way, do the customers know you are driving their car to and from the carwash?

e. Price - yes price is a factor, but if you sell all the other points price is not such an important factor in their decision to buy.

When you operate out of a home garage that does not inspire confidence or professionalism or even reliability. Not saying you are not all of these things, but when you consider that a Mercedes Benz or BMW driver would not even consider to take their cars to a mechanic that operated out of his garage why would they want to go to a detailer that did? Or, if they did why would they pay him more than a few dollars since the guy working out of his garage obviously has no overhead. Kind of like a shoe-shine boy, forgive the analogy.

Yes, do you judge a book by its cover. If you read any books or articles on marketing and sales and customer service you would see how important these things are to success in business. Look at service stations today they are gorgeous facilities. Look at the fast lube and oil change places. Carwashes and automotive service franchises.

As has been said by many an industry expert about consumer habits:

"If all the consumer was looking for was price they would all be driving Yugos and eating at MacDonalds."

I think you have been around enough to have heard the phrase, "Sell the sizzle as well as the steak."

Enough said.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
November 25, 2003 09:05AM
<HTML>check out my post on buds message board at detailplus.com I explained exactly what I do for my $39 hand wash & wax plus shampoo & clean interior with free pick-up & delivery(local) coupon special that I run in a local newspaper that is delivered to over 20,000 households every fri. only for free to the customers via U.S. mail delivery. this ad only cost $24per./wk. for a business card size ad. this ad produced 5-10 new customers per./wk. in the past 12wks. so far, with great word of mouth advertising. has been a great way to build my customer base up fast!!!

keep it simple!!!!! less=more</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
November 25, 2003 09:35AM
<HTML>bud,

why did you delete my post that explained what i do for $39 maintance detailing service on your message board at detailplus.com????do you have a problem with me???</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
November 25, 2003 12:57PM
<HTML>No problem with you at all, but I have answered your questions numerous times and you fail to respond to the questions I have asked and simply continue to tell me what you are doing.

Our "Ask the Experts" section on the website is designed for detailers to ask a simple question and get a simple answer. You did not ask a question you used inches and inches of space to tell me what you are doing when I already have read that numerous times on this forum.

What is it that you want me/others to do? To agree that what you are doing is correct? Personally, I would not operate a business like you do, but that is your decision and if you are making a profit doing that then more power to you. But I do not and did not operate my detailing businesses like you do.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
November 25, 2003 01:07PM
<HTML>By the way please answer these questions about your operation:

1. Does the customer know you drive their car to a self service carwash?

2. Do you have insurance to cover that?

3. Do you have a garage owners insurance policy? They do not offer then for businesses working out of their garage.

4. Do you have a business license?

5. Is your residential area zoned for your detail operation?

6. Do you have any employees? How do you pay them?

7. Does your business pay you: health insurance; sick leave; vacation; retirement?

Please answer these questions so I can better evaluate what you are doing.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
November 25, 2003 01:41PM
<HTML>If I may offer you a small piece of advcie as a fellow detailer who only wishes to see you succeed. I want you to do the math for your $39.95 maintainence package with me and see if it still makes sense to you (please keep an open mind here).
From what you posted I see that you:
1. pick up and deliver the vehicle est. time for 2 round trips 15-30 min
2. wash, wax, shampoo, windows est time for an average car 2-3 hours for a reasonably decent job IMHO

Now let's look at the time involved and your costs:
30 min to pick up and deliver and minimum 2 hours for a decent job = 2.5 hours divided into $39.95 = $15.98 per hour minus your gas, supplies and your time. I think that is being farely foregiving as well with respect to costs so why not just get a job in a factory and make more money, with benefits and no headaches of owning a business? It doesn't make sound business sense to do what you are doing. Look at how many shops open and close every year because even if the owner is a fantastic detailer if he has no BUSINESS SKILLS the business will fail. If your theory of why pay more was true then why isn't everyone driving a Kia or a Hyundai or a Yugo? The customers you want don't care about the price first they care about the service and quality. After that they expect a fair deal - nothing more. A recent "competitor" of mine was offering a similar package to yours and he went out of business. Soon after I had one of his former customers come to my shop and the best thing he had to say about their company was that they were cheap. This customer was amazed at the difference in the quality of the job between my shop and the other one and said that I was a little expensive in his opinion but well worth the extra money.
In closing, stop selling yourself short! If you continue to do things the way you are doing them you will eventually fail. Listen to the advice you are getting from the various people on the board and implement the changes in your business. The business side of any business is far more important than your product and if you have the business side and the detailing side really down you will be very successful and leave the others in the dust.</HTML>
November 26, 2003 01:58AM
<HTML>Coles:

Please please listen to us--charge more! Like S. Perkins said, you are selling yourself short. Why would you settle for $15 an hour? That's what really good detailers working for SOMEONE ELSE makes. I figured I need to clear $50 minimum per hour to live the lifestyle I want.

Raising your prices will chase the cheapo customers away and let them go to the competitor. You will attract the customer who wants quality instead of a discount. Just yesterday, I did a 2003 Honda Accord (gave a winter protection package as a promo.) I charged $175 and he gave me a $35 tip. So far since I raised my prices, my customers haven't flinched once.

As I posted in another thread, I told one customer I'm a bit expensive and she cut me off saying, "if you do quality work then it's well worth it."</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
November 26, 2003 02:34AM
<HTML>my customers know how I operate my business,that is why they keep calling me back.because they get a great job at a lower price than they can get anywhere else in this county,in fact they like the idea of me keeping my cost down & pass that savings on to them.they just want a good job at a price they can afford.my customers are avg. price car owners,not high-end priced car owners.they are satisfied with a basic hand wash &wax plus shampoo & clean interior. and the free pick-up & delivery is the icing on the cake. Its a great value and people are very thankful of this service I provide to them, and that is all that really matters to me.(over 1750 cutomers so far) in the past 5 yrs in the business!!! these are my loyal customers that have allowed me to pay my bills & do what I love to do (own & operate my own business) its my dreams come true.It makes me happy everyday when I wake up to know that I am providing a service that people want & need to make more time in there busy lifestyle.I plan to continue to build my business like this in the future. " to each his own" this is what has worked for me best so far!!!

I plan to continue to participate in this fourm & looking foward to everybodys opinions & ideas about this business I love!!!

thanks to all my fellow detailers,</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
November 26, 2003 05:09AM
<HTML>Coles...you may have found a market of price conscious shoppers. Good for you if that's what you want!!! Just keep in mind that if some new kid on the block comes along and figures he can do what you're doing and offers the same thing for $34.99, he could conceivably steal your business right out from under you.

Another thing...I've commented in other posts how in my 20 years as an aduster in the insurance industry, I've seen numerous small businessowners lose everything they had (business, home, assets, etc.) because they chose to gamble and not carry the proper insurance. I hate to say it Coles, but you fit that profile to a tee. Keep in mind that one minor fender bender with you at fault in your customer's car with some person looking for easy money and that person find's out you were on business, you own your own business and were driving someone elses car that was also insured, then, that person will be seeing their shyster lawyer ASAP and develop the most debilitating, medically documented, case of whiplash, closed head injury, trauma induced stress disorder ever seen and not only will you get sued, but so will your customer. Then, since you had no business insurance, the customer's carrier will have to pay the claim (which will bode well for customer relations and destroy your reputation like wildfire destroyed half of California earlier this year) and then guess what??? Your customer's carrier will come after you to collect not only what they paid to settle the claim, but all their legal fees related to the handling of the claim. That's called subrogation. And, as if that isn't bad enough, if the "injured" party didn't think they were compensated enough, they can come after you individually and attach a lien to any assets that you may have. Oh, and if you don't have enough liquid assets on hand to reimburse the insurance company, they will also attach liens to your assets. You will be indebted to these parties for the rest of your life or until the debts are paid off. They will attach liens to any tax refunds coming your way. They will garnish your bank accounts once a month until there's nothing left. And if you try to file for bankruptcy, it generally won't excuse you from paying outstanding judgements against you personally.

So, Cole's, for what it's worth, I think you better take a step back and think long and hard if it's worth putting everything you've worked so hard for at risk. Your property, peace of mind and family's well-being could all be destroyed in the blink of an eye. Is it really worth it?

Besides, don't you want to make more money at this? Don't you want to build a better reputation and start charging more money for your hard work? Being content with $15-$20/hour when you could be making $35-$50/hour seems to be a very close-minded view of your business and your abilities. Don't you think you're worth more?

Like Bud, I'm perplexed about why you don't answer the questions asked of you. You just keep repeating the same thing...

1. You're cheap.

2. Your customers are cheap & don't want to spend a lot of money.

3. You do a good job for the customers you attract.

4. You want easy work.

5. Your one ad for $24/week brings you new customers and you get referral business.

That's all well and good as far as it goes, but what I don't get from you is a sense that you want to grow your business into anything more than it is now...an inexpensive one-man operation run out of your garage that does detailing at cut-rate prices. I'm getting any clue from you that you want to be something bigger, better, stronger in the future. Wouldn't you like to eventually have someone working for you so you can concentrate on marketing and growing your business? Don't you want to build your business into something big, wonderful and successful so you can sell it for a tremendous profit when you want to retire? Remember, your body most likely won't want to do this physical labor until you're an old man!!!

I'd like to know what your vision is for the future of your business. What does it look like 2, 3, or 5 years down the road? What do you want it to be?

Unless you start thinking in those terms and care to share some of your ideas with us, no offense, but you're kind of like a broken record. You seem eager and smart enough to want more, so share some new ideas with us and we'll give you all the help and advice we can. But until we get to know more about you and you answer some of the questions presented, there's not much else we can do. I'd hate to see your business fail, but unless you shift gears and get a firm sense of where you want to go, you might not be in business in 2, 3 or 5 years.

This is JMO. No offense intended. Heck, I've even done the self-serve car wash thing. But, my customers know it and know it's only temporary until my shop opens. Plus, I'm insured for it.</HTML>
November 26, 2003 05:47AM
<HTML>coles: Does anyone in your area drive BMWS,mercedes etc. Go after the high end market thats where the money is. I charge 50 dollars per man hr. I tell all of my customers that over the phone. If they dont like it they go somewhere else. If you have good phone skills and can sell the customer you can get that kind of money. The key with the phone is listen, listen, listen! Bottom line is you need to charge more or your costs and expenses wont add up with your revenue!</HTML>
November 26, 2003 07:10AM
<HTML>Coles:

Can't argue with your passion for the detailing industry and love of the work. Waking up every morning happy and loving what you do is more important than money and I commend you on your attitude. I just don't want to see a fellow detailer get taken advantage of since detailing is hard work. Plus, you say you do average cars instead of high end, that involves more manual labor (rejuvenating and reconditioning) instead of high end preservance and maintanace.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
November 26, 2003 07:51AM
<HTML> you assume my customers cars are not insured for what im doing.
they are fully covered in case of any accident that might happen. I have never been involved in an accident in my life.I have a perfect driving record with no tickets or wrecks in more than 20 yrs. of driving experience.
but thanks for your concern in this matter.

you asked if I am content with making $15-20per/hr. the answer is yes, I am able to pay my bills & live a very comfortable lifestyle. I not in this business to build it up over the years & sell it for a big profit to retire on. I just want to make enough to maintain my lifestyle until I retire with my trust fund money. my dad made millons selling real estate in california in past 30 yrs. I am his only child.so I hope you understand where im coming from now.Im not in this business for the big money, I dont need it to retire. It is waiting for me in my trust fund already.thanks to my dad. Im in this business to keep myself busy & maintain my current lifestyle.

thanks for you comments & looking foward to your response soon!!!</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
November 26, 2003 08:27AM
<HTML>thanks for the comments Brian, Im glad you agree there is more important things than money that motivate people in life to live out there dreams.Im very happy with my life and how I live it.

I said in my post that I do " avg. PRICED cars " not avg. cars.
most of the cars I do are new & in good condition. If there not I charge more ($10-30) depending on size & condition of the vehical. trust me know ones tries to take advantage of me, but thanks for the concern anyway.

remember, $39 is just a starting point for maintance detailing on newer cars. I charge more according to amt. of work involved.

thanks again,</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
November 27, 2003 12:22AM
<HTML>happy thanksgiving to my fellow detailers!!!!

rod w.

I answered your questions & am waiting for your response.

thanks,</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
November 27, 2003 12:22AM
<HTML>happy thanksgiving to my fellow detailers!!!!

rod w.

I answered your questions & am waiting for your response.

thanks,</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
November 27, 2003 02:29AM
<HTML>Hey Coles!!! First, I'd like to wish you & your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!!! Are you a football fan? Are the Bears playing on T-Day? We get to see our ever-struggling Lions play the Packers!!! Sounds like it should be an easy day for G.B., but never, ever bet against the Lions on T-Day!!! It's the one game of the year that they usually play like Super Bowl contenders, lol!!!

Anyhow, thanks for responding!!! Now we're beginning to get a better picture of your situation. And yes, I think your outlook is fantastic. I agree with Brian in that it isn't all about $$$. So long as you're able to keep your head above water. It sounds like your financially set for the future, so go ahead and enjoy what you're doing!!!

What do you do in the winter? I know how you wash the cars, but is your garage heated where you finish the detail?

As for the insurance issues, keep in mind that while your customers' vehicles are fully insured, if they turn it over to you and are going to pay you to work on their vehicle, you are then driving it for your financial game and have become, in essence, a garage keeper. If you have an accident, the customers' company will indeed pay the claim, but they will absolutely look to you for reimbursement since the vehicle was in your care, custody and control and you are responsible for any damage to the vehicle or caused by the vehicle while you have it. Trust me, they will come after you for their money. I know...I used to do it all the time. You should just call an agent out of the phone book and tell him what you're doing and ask him what kind of coverage you should have and find out how much it will cost. You can even call anonymously and use a fictitious name. Just make sure you give him an accurate desciption of what you do.

With that said, I have to say that I really admire your spirit!!! I feel the same way about detailing (and paint repair) as you do!!! It's great to share that enthusiasm with so many of the others here.

Keep doing what makes you happy, Coles. Just don't take any big risks. I'd hate to see a guy like you get burned!!! Take care and keep making those people happy!!! I know just what you mean about above average cars. One of my best customers owns a '91 Chevy Corsica & I'm the only one that touches his car. I detail it 2X/year and do paint touch up and minor repairs (small rust spots) to it once a year. He's referred at least 5-6 customers to me who are now regular customers as well.</HTML>
November 27, 2003 05:48AM
<HTML>rod w.

thanks for the comments,I hope you & your family have a safe & happy thanksgiving as well.

yes my garage dose have heat in it.very nice.

thanks for the advice on the insurance.Im fully protected for any type of claim against me.

Im looking foward to your responses in the future.</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
November 27, 2003 02:11PM
<HTML>Coles,

I guess I don't understand why you have let fellow detailers waist their time trying to inlighten you on the pricing in this business, when you don't even need a job? You have posted in the past about being the Walmart of detailing? Walmart is the largest employer in the world and is in it to make a profit I assure you. When you first joined this forum and started asking all the questions about pricing you should have mentioned that you have no need to make money. I'm sorry I spent so much time thinking about a response to some of your questions. Some of these guys on this forum have gone to great lengths to help you try to build a business professionally. Why would you waist their time???

jer</HTML>
November 27, 2003 11:04PM
<HTML>I'm with you on this Jerry. I sent Coles a personal e-mail earliar today reflecting similar feelings. I laughed about his comment reference himself being the Wal-Mart of detailing but did not understand nor find humorous his follow-up comment to Bud reference some type of threat. I am sure he is a good guy but I simply can not figure out what he expects from us. I am hopeful that he will reply so we and others can figure out what if any assistance he desires. Thanks, Happy T-day!!!, Ron</HTML>
November 28, 2003 07:20AM
<HTML>ron,

first of all, the comment about the threat was in reference to some comments bud made to me in a post stating " that we live in a country with laws and WHEN you get caught you will see what we have been telling you" that post did not get posted on the web cars web-site for some reason, it was just sent to my e-mail address from web cars site and did not post on site. It just seamed that bud was going to report me, and cause me problems.

my intentions were never to cause any confrontations with any body on this forum, I was just stating my opinions about the only way I have been able to produce enough business to contine to stay in this business that I have grown to love over the past 5 yrs. and all the great customers I have been able to service in the process.they are the ones that put food on my table and a roof over my head year after year.I do need this job to provide for my me and my family. my trust fund is only going to be available to me after my dad and his wife pass away, which I hope dosent happen for many long years to come!!! I have had to provide for myself since the age of 18, I am 36 now, its been a hard at times but I have learned how to survive and learn from these experiences in my life so far.and would not trade them for all the money in the world. I do what I have to,to survive in this business beccause I refuse to give up on my dreams of owning & operating my own business and the freedom that goes with it!!! I will not settle for less like most people do and end up working in a job they do not love. I hope you can understand me better now.

I would like to say " im sorry" to bud & all my fellow detailers for anything I might have said to offend anybody or cause them to not want me participate in this great forum I was lucky enough to stumble into one day surfing the internet. your comments have caused me to think about my attitudes towords this business and hope to operate my business in a better way in the future, thanks to everybodys respones to my post this past week or so!!! please let me know what you think? your comments have made a difference in this detailer life.I hope you continue you to take the time in your busy lifes to continue to make a difference in the the life of others!!! thats what life is all about!!!

happy thanksgiving,</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
November 28, 2003 07:39AM
<HTML>Coles:

Thank you for your last posting, finally we have a better idea of where you are coming from.

My post directly to you was, I felt something that needed to be said between you and I not something that was of general interest to the forum readers, that is why I posted directly to you. I often do that with others on the forum, rather than take up time with one on one conversations that can better be done directly.

As for my comments they were not intended to be a threat and I would certainly not report you to anyone. That is not my responsibility.

But it seems from your comments that you felt I was going to report you, that you must be doing something that is not legal in your business???

That is what we have been trying to tell you. If you are going to operate a business you must do it legally or eventually it will come back to haunt you.

Your comments about how safe you drive and how careful you are in your shop and for those reasons you do not need insurance is really very short-sighted.

No one expects to ever have an accident. But we all know it is something that can happen, and if it does can you afford not to have insurance. If you say you cannot afford to have insurance then I flatly tell you that you have no right to be in business. That is my position and my opinion on the matter.

To be in business requires you meet certain legal; financial and operational standards. If you cannot afford to meet these standards then one should consider being in business.

We are all here to help you but you must be receptive and have an open mind to what we are telling you. It really makes no difference to any of us what you do, the advise is given from the heart and with the best of intentions by all of us here. That is why we participate in this forum to help each other.

Remember you can take what you want and leave the rest.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Coles:

Thank you for your last posting, finally we have a better idea of where you are coming from.

My post directly to you was, I felt something that needed to be said between you and I not something that was of general interest to the forum readers, that is why I posted directly to you. I often do that with others on the forum, rather than take up time with one on one conversations that can better be done directly.

As for my comments they were not intended to be a threat and I would certainly not report you to anyone. That is not my responsibility.

But it seems from your comments that you felt I was going to report you, that you must be doing something that is not legal in your business???

That is what we have been trying to tell you. If you are going to operate a business you must do it legally or eventually it will come back to haunt you.

Your comments about how safe you drive and how careful you are in your shop and for those reasons you do not need insurance is really very short-sighted.

No one expects to ever have an accident. But we all know it is something that can happen, and if it does can you afford not to have insurance. If you say you cannot afford to have insurance then I flatly tell you that you have no right to be in business. That is my position and my opinion on the matter.

To be in business requires you meet certain legal; financial and operational standards. If you cannot afford to meet these standards then one should consider being in business.

We are all here to help you but you must be receptive and have an open mind to what we are telling you. It really makes no difference to any of us what you do, the advise is given from the heart and with the best of intentions by all of us here. That is why we participate in this forum to help each other.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Coles:

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Coles:

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
November 28, 2003 08:20AM
<HTML>bud,

I will look into getting the proper insurance coverage A.S.A.P.

I have never been to worried about it, because all my customers have full coverage on thier vehicals and I figured it would cover any accidents that might happen when im operating thier vehical. I am better aware of the requirements and will get the proper insurance coverage needed to operate this type of business.

thanks for the suggestions,</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
November 28, 2003 10:17AM
<HTML>Coles. Thank you for what I feel was an honest and heartfelt response to my personal e-mail (& I guess Bud had sent you one also) and the comments made on the site itself. I will be sending you another personal email shortly. I assure you that we are all here to help not harm each other. I hope you and your family had a Happy Thanksgiving and I am looking forward to your future posts both asking and offering assistance to others. Take care and have a great day. Ron</HTML>
November 28, 2003 02:02PM
<HTML>Coles:

Thank you for the email expressing your realization that your assumptions about insurance were incorrect.

As Ron stated, a customer may have insurance but if the insurance company finds out you were driving the car or servicing the car as a business they will come back on you to pay the claim.

Beside needing insurance when you drive the car, you need garage owner's insurance should something happen to the car while it is in "your garage." As I said, no one expects to have an accident, they just happen.

If you had a customers car in your garage and a fire started or you dropped a buffer on the hood, etc. it could cost you a great deal of money.

Someone backed into the door of my wife's car and put a "cave-in" dent in the door. Not really all that serious. We got three bids the cheapest of which was $1492.00. The cost of body work today is high and I would not have wanted to pay that out of my pocket.

I hope that we here have given you something to think about as a "detail businessman."

Keep asking questions.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login