Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

WAX/SEALANT LONGEVITY

Posted by John B Clement 
WAX/SEALANT LONGEVITY
November 28, 2003 12:32PM
<HTML>I WOULD LIKE TO ADDRESS THIS QUESTION TO BUD ABRAHAM AND ANYONE ELSE WITH COMMANTS.

IT'S BEEN SAID THAT WAX/SEALANT CAN LAST A MAX OF ONLY 6 MONTHS. THE LAST COUPLE CARS I'VE OWNED WERE PURCHASED NEW. I IMMEDIATY PUT A DOUBLE COAT OF WAX ON FINISH. I LIVE IN THE CHICAGO AREA WITH SALTED STREETS AND BAD WEATHER CONDITIONS. THE CARS WERE WASHED ONCE A WEEK BY A SOFT CLOTH CAR WASH. AFTER 3 YEARS THE FINISH STILL HADE A GOOD SHINE AND BEEDED WATER IN SMALL DROPLETS. ALTHOUGH THERE WERE ALLOT OF SWIRL MARKS. SO...IF WAX LAST 6 MONTHS HOW COME AFTER 3 YEARS THE PAINT LOOKS VERY GOOD AND APPEARS TO BE PERTECTED?

BONDO JOHN</HTML>
Re: WAX/SEALANT LONGEVITY
November 28, 2003 02:08PM
<HTML>John:

The answer to that question is very simple.

First, it is the nature of a polyurethane clear-coat paint finish. The intent of today's high-tech paint finishes is to be more shiny; require less maintenance; and need less protection.

What seems to really dull today's paint finishes are a couple of things: continued washing in touchless carwashes because they use both hydroflouric acid and high alkaline shampoos and also sun. If you lived in Arizona; south Texas or Florida you would find the paint finish deteriorating much faster.

As for the water beading, that does not mean you have protection on the finish. The ingredients in waxes/sealants that cause water to bead are not ingredients that relate to protection.

Hope that answers your questions.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
November 28, 2003 03:22PM
<HTML>I DONT COMLPETLY UNDERSTAN. IF AFTER A VERY GOOD WAXING THEN 3 YEARS OF CAR WASHES, THE PAINT HAS A NICE SHINE AND BEADS WATER, WHAT WOULD BE THE REASON FOR A SEALANT OR WAXING EVERY COUPLE MONTS?

BONDO</HTML>
November 28, 2003 05:45PM
<HTML>Bondo:

A good question. Then answer is simple. Today's clear coat paint finishes are excellent in most situations. They are more durable; more shiny and require less maintenance to maintain their shine.

If you live in areas with hot sun or a great deal of industrial fallout (IFO) which will cause acid rain and subsequent damage to a paint finish then you would require a sealant or wax layer of protection.

But, in most normal situations a clear coat can maintain its luster without protection.

However, what I find happens is that the paint simply gets dull from scratching and spider webbing. My own personal vehicle 2001 model, black, has not bee wax/sealed for 1.5 years and it is ok, but dulled alittle from the scratching due to frequent washing.

Hope that helps

Bud A</HTML>

buda
November 28, 2003 06:22PM
<HTML> Bud you have not sealed your paint with your own product? I am amazed? Why? Just curious. Wouldn't have protected it from dullness?</HTML>
November 28, 2003 06:45PM
<HTML>Thanks allot for your great advice. I'm the person with the black lexus purchased a month ago. I am seing swirl marks in the paint already. But only on sunny days in certain angles. I stopped over at the dealer and noticed that all the cars had swirl marks or fine scratches to one extent or another. But the black cars, even the new ones, were the most ovious. From your comments I guess the ony way to minimise this is in the washing process. On receiving your info about how better car washes are than hand washes I decided to go to the local soft cloth car wash. After the wash I notice,again only on a sunny day, allot of scratches going downword on both sides. It seemed to mimic the direction of the pads. But it did seem to be overly forcefull as I could here them rubbing on the side very hard when driving through. In the winter it is difficult for me to wash the car because I don't have a heated garage. So the car washers are the most practicle in cold months. Any ideas/sugestions......

bondo john</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login