Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Professional Detailing Products

Posted by Solo Con 
Professional Detailing Products
January 05, 2004 08:49AM
<HTML>Well, after Heathers post, (thanks Heather) I started to look into some of the Meguiars Professional Detailing Products as it seems a few people liked them. I am also looking into 3M. I will be doing my brothers car and will be posting some before and after pics. I live in AZ where some of the cars (this one included) gets some very bad oxidation!

Now, I know about some of the products at local stores (checkers, autozone, ect...) that sell some of the above brands. What I would like to do is start testing 1-3 different brands and take if from there. What would you all recommand for each step of the detailing process? Is this the same stuff at local checkers/autozones? (I think they sell more of the "Home user" rather then the pro line. Am I wrong?) If not, where can I get some local to try it before I start buying in bulk. I would like to see something like this...

step 1) wash: (enter what you use or think I would try)
step 2) dry: (enter what you use or think I would try)
step 3) ect.....

I try to narrow it down myself but see myself buying $500.00 or more just in testing supplies. There is just so much out there!!!

I know I might be asking a lot here, but this is something that is eating away at me for some reason!

Also, how do I go about getting samples of products? Thanks again for reading this and helping us all out.</HTML>
Re: Professional Detailing Products
January 06, 2004 12:03PM
<HTML>I have about 4-5 pics of my brothers car on my digital camera. How do I post them in this forum? (I have them on my personal server) Most forums use but that dont work here???</HTML>
January 06, 2004 02:08PM
<HTML>Solo Con:

If you study enough past posts you will find that chemicals are chemicals. That is, you deal with anyone of the top professional detailing chemical companies and you will get the same products as long as you are comparing apples to apples.

Some of the companies are:

DETAIL PLUS
AUTO MAGIC
CAR BRITE
ARDEX
PRO
PRODUCTION
GRANITIZE
MARK V
P & S
CAR GROOM
VALUGUARD
FINISH KARE - owned by Floyd Meguiar, yes of the famous family

These companies all make chemicals exclusively for the detailing industry and are experts at what they do. If you compare their compounds; carpet shampoos; extractor shampoos; glass cleaners; engine degreasers they will all be about the same.

What you should do is deal with the company that gives you the best price and the best service.

Remember one thing: "CHEMICALS ARE A COMMODITY" you get the same product and it will be about the same from any company. So do not pay too much and get service.

3M; Meguiar's are not really detailing chemical companies they cater mainly to the body shops and auto manufacturers. What they get in our industry is some residual that comes from reputation. But the reputation is not gained because detailers really know that these are the best products it is that they are used in body shops and a customer asks the body shop what products to use on their cars and the body shop says, "non-silicone" 3M or Meguiar's products.

Just my thought after a few years in this industry. Take what you want and leave the rest.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
January 06, 2004 02:49PM
<HTML>With all due respect to Bud & his opinion, I feel that you can't go wrong with Meguiars. They've been around a long time and as I recently rediscovered, the results I've obtained with their products are phenominal.

To answer your questions:

Washing...nearly any quality soap intended for use as a car washing detergent from a reputable company (Meguiars, Mothers, or check Bud's list for others) should be fine.

Drying...The three top picks (as I've seen them rated) in no particular order are:

1) A synthetic chamois such as 'The Absorber'
2) The 'California Water Blade' (NOT one of the generic "imitators")
3) A large quality microfiber towel

Etc...This one is not a quick & easy answer. A lot depends on the amount and type of defects in the finish you are working on, are you using a rotary buffer, a random orbital or doing things by hand? As well as what products do YOU feel give you the look you want?

Those of us with experience can offer tips and advice, but the final choice is yours. I've offered my opinion, if you want to keep things simple, go with Megs. The products are all designed to work together and chances are they have a product designed specifically to handle just about any type of surface imperfection you'll come across, there's no "well, this * Brand X product* is close to what I want" You'll be able to find a product that does exactly what you want it to do, nothing more nothing less.</HTML>

-ghost of a past detailer
January 06, 2004 03:16PM
<HTML>Ghost:

You misunderstand me!! I did not say that Meguiar's were not good products, far from it. They are very good products. However, the company is not, first and foremost, committed to the detailing industry. Their products were not formulated with detailers in mind, they were/are formulated for body shops. That is why so many automotive paint stores and body shops use them.

If you get great results from the products then by all means use them.

What I was saying is that their repuation has developed in the detailing industry not by any conscious effort on their part to market to the detailing industry. Although I am told there are some things being done by the company to get to this market. However, they do not have, as the other companies I mentioned, have a fleet of wagon jobber distributors who call on the detail shops; carwashes, etc.

You are doing the right thing. If the products work for you use them and focus on the more important aspects of the "business of detailing." And, chemicals are not one of them.

Regards
Bud a</HTML>

buda
January 09, 2004 05:01PM
<HTML>I just picked up one of those California Water Blades last fall and I must say I REALLY like it. I can dry a vehicle fast and I use a microfiber towel for the jambs, fuel filler, "other spots", etc. But the blade is a real time saver and in the winter months keeps your hands in better shape smiling smiley.

I think I am sold on it over a chamois.</HTML>

David
January 10, 2004 03:44AM
<HTML> Hey I was just thinking. The latest thing Im trying out is the Detailers Line of chemicals from 3M. It isnt the body shop stuff at all but its a different selection of products. Like Bud mentioned most of what 3M offered for years was aimed at others and not detailers but they are broadening the selection nowadays and have products aimed at detailers specifically.

I would post the actual link on the forum but I didnt remember to get it but go to the 3M web site and look/search for the stuff especially for detailers and youll see what im talking about. They offer several different compounds and polishes and some waxes. Also some different dressings all designed for detailers.

When I start trying the stuff Ill post my thoughts about the performance. I expect the stuff to arrive next week sometime.

John</HTML>
January 10, 2004 03:50AM
<HTML> LOL ok this insanely long link actually works just copy and paste it into yout address bar. smiling smiley

[products3.3m.com]

I hope it gets you there to the 3M site I was talking about.

John</HTML>
January 14, 2004 09:47AM
<HTML>on a note about the California Water Blades, I have seen them around but have always passed them up. Are they thay that good? As it stands, I have

1) 4 Genuine Sheepskin Polish & Wash mitts
2) 4 large chamois
3) 24 small Terry Towles
4) 12 small white/blue microfiber towles

all of these are brand new. Would the CWB be better then any of the above? Save time? How is the CWB on windows/paint? Any Scratches??

Also, I still need help with posting a link to a pic on these forums.

To ghost from the past,

I did infact buy a PC 7424. I have not used it as yet but plan on using it soon. I am still looking to buy (local) some kind of rotary buffer. Is a buffer and sander the same? Can they be used the same?</HTML>
January 14, 2004 11:08AM
<HTML>QUOTE: "I did infact buy a PC 7424. I have not used it as yet but plan on using it soon. I am still looking to buy (local) some kind of rotary buffer. Is a buffer and sander the same? Can they be used the same?"

As far as the Porter Cable line is concerned their buffer/sander is the same unit but with different attachments. As long as you have the buffing attachments, you're fine</HTML>

-ghost of a past detailer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login