Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wax / Polish

Wax / Polish
January 06, 2004 12:06AM
<HTML>Bud / Frank or any other of you pros, remember away back in the middle to late 60's there was a product that had the consistency of water, with a slight amber color. Put it on with a satured cotton cloth, and the wipe off was no more elbow grease that wiping off Pledge from a fine piece of furniture. Was this stuff outlawed for health reasons, wouldn't work on todays finishes or just what went with it. I worked at a pontiac dealer who purchased this stuff by 55 gal drums and used extensively in the detail/body/and used car/new car get ready services. Is it still around or has any of you folks even heard of such a critter. I do remember that washing my 65 Goat convertible about 4-5 times per, this stuff gave a very good beading and would hardly come off when drying the car off with a chamois. You guys will be hearing from me , as I'm being forced into retirement from 35+ successful years in the Oil Refining Business,and want to try my hand working for myself. I would appreciate and tips on where to buy equiptment and supplies from and just how to get started in general. Thanks to all in advance Brandy !</HTML>
Re: Wax / Polish
January 06, 2004 12:46AM
<HTML>Eric,

Welcome to the Web-Cars Forum. I'm glad to see that you signed on. You can be assured that you will now be able to gather valuable information from some of the true 'experts' in the detailing industry.

P.S. I've enjoyed our recent emails and I'm looking forward to you attending my upcoming 'online' boat and auto detailing classes.</HTML>

January 06, 2004 01:03PM
<HTML>hmmmm, lets see, what was around when I was a young lad, could it be Blue coral? or siminize?</HTML>

&quot;Clean cars drive better&quot; www.perfectautofinish.com
January 06, 2004 02:00PM
<HTML>Not familiar with anything like this, in particular. However, there was a time when cars were wiped down with kerosene to clean them. This could have been a product of similiar nature, petroleum based and you just wiped it on and it picked up all the dirt.

For years I could not understand why Grandpa or Grandma Jones car was always clean but their wheels and white wall tires were filthy. That was the reason. Instead of washing their car on Saturday, they would wipe it down with a rag saturated with kerosene.

I am certain that this is what some alert company did was package a version of kerosene into a cleaning product.

And to think that the Dri Wash 'n Guard Company made millions selling a product that was 93% water that did the same thing. And here we are working like hell detailing cars.

As PT Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every 5 minutes."

What was it he said after that? I know it was something about taking advantage of the "sucker."

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 06, 2004 02:18PM
<HTML>Back in the 60s their was Simonize paste, Simonize Vista,Dupont New Car Wax ,Dupont Shield,Johnsons J-Wax and Carnu , Turtle Wax , Blue Coral , Porcelainize, and many others that I dont rember.</HTML>
January 06, 2004 03:07PM
<HTML>How about "New Car 7?"

Regards
Buda</HTML>

buda
December 24, 2005 05:20PM
<HTML>Hello I was wondering if there was any place that I can by or purchuse the Simionize Vista car wax. Please let me know. Please email me at
bonbon62073@att.net</HTML>
December 25, 2005 07:03PM
<HTML>Simonize Vista is no longer made. And for Bud New Car #7 is Dupont New Car Wax , which was a very good product in its day. Dupont also made a cleaner polish which was called #7. It also was a great product in its day for cleaning dull and dirty paint.</HTML>
February 12, 2006 10:51PM
<HTML>Bob Simon would be turning over in his grave with all these posts. Every one knows that there is only one way to protect a car finish and that is by "Simonizing" the finish.

What a marketer Bob Simon was, taking his name and his can of paste "cleaner/wax" and making it the only way to protect a car's finish.

Everyone in my dad's generation, "Simonized" their car. What was it? Nothing but an inexpensive cleaner/wax.

Marketing,marketing,marketing.

Gary Pendleton</HTML>

Gary Pendleton
Pro Wash Consulting
gary@prowash consulting.com
February 12, 2006 11:02PM
<HTML>< Every one knows that there is only one way to protect a car finish and that is by "Simonizing" the finish.>>

Everyone like who?...

I am afraid sir that father time has not been kind to you, or you have been asleep like poor old Rip Van Winkle... technology has come and passed you by and there are some really good protectants out there that do not bear the name Simonize.</HTML>
February 13, 2006 03:12AM
<HTML>Gina:

Think you are missing Mr Pendleton's point. He was pointing out I am sure that with great marketing you can make anything seem to be the "right and only way" to do something.

Giving away my age, as if my appearance does not already do that, I clearly remember as a young teenager, "Simonizing" mine and my friends, hot-rods on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

We were part of that generation that grew up with Simonize Wax.

Gary Pendleton is a very experienced detailer and successful car wash operator and knows well what is good and what is not good in the detail business as far as protectants are concerned.</HTML>

buda
February 13, 2006 04:17AM
<HTML>Well my apologies to Mr. pendleton for missing his point of view...

The term simonizing is still part of the lexicon and almost everday I have to inform people we no longer simonize the finish of an automobile.

You might be interested to know that Simonize might have come from a process that was popular in the 30's called "Permanize" very similar to today's sealants (I am not sure what the product was) but vehicles were permanized at official permanizing centers and each vehicle was guaranteed.</HTML>
February 17, 2006 03:16PM
<HTML>You can still buy Simonize Paste Wax . Simonize came out in 1910. It was the only way to protect the then varnish that was used on cars back then. When you had to clean and polish you used a product called Rottenstone. It was a gray powder that you mixed with water , and rubbed it on the paint with a felt pad. When lacquer came out in 1924 the first polish for that paint was Dupont # 7 Auto Polish. The history of car detailing is very interesting.</HTML>
February 17, 2006 03:20PM
<HTML>Did it come out as floor polish first or car wax?</HTML>
February 17, 2006 03:52PM
<HTML>It was a "floor" wax originally.

In the early 50's when I was first learning the bodyshop/painting business, we used many off the shelf, for household use products to finish out lacquer paint jobs.

Our final was Johnson's Past Wax, what a pain!

We did not use Simoniz or Blue Coral's paste waxes as they had too much chemical cleaner in them and adversely affected the fresh paint.

We had a heavy red gritty compound to remove the 400 wet sand marring, we mixed talc with some water, motor oil and keosene to create a med polish, and then when DuPont #7 came out, for a final before waxing.

We could wax as the method we used to apply the lacquer took several days, allowing cure time between coats, wet sanding etc.

I saw a 53 Ford Business Coupe we customed in in 54 (had a 54 Caddy V8 installed), 10 years later and "no cracking or crazing of the lacquer".

That was unheard of at the time, but demonstrated the "cure time" we utilized.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
February 17, 2006 06:57PM
<HTML>I love this kind of information... so when did you start using a buffer? and how did that come about? - I know the origin was a floor polisher, but how did the idea come about to polish the car?</HTML>
February 17, 2006 07:06PM
<HTML>I first used a "buffer" when I was about 7, on the first vehicle I attempted to paint.

It was not really a "buffer", but a 5,000 RPM grinder, with a wool yarn pad for cutting and a lambs wool for polishing.

One had to develope a very "gentle" touch with that heavy old thing.

A few years later, Suoix came out with a 3,000 RPM buffer.

Ketch</HTML>

February 17, 2006 07:06PM
<HTML>I first used a "buffer" when I was about 7, on the first vehicle I attempted to paint.

It was not really a "buffer", but a 5,000 RPM grinder, with a wool yarn pad for cutting and a lambs wool for polishing.

One had to develope a very "gentle" touch with that heavy old thing.

A few years later, Suoix came out with a 3,000 RPM buffer.

Ketch</HTML>

February 17, 2006 07:28PM
<HTML>So where did the idea of wool yarn pad and lambs wool come from?...</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login