Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Methylene Chloride

Posted by Jim Hammill 
Methylene Chloride
January 06, 2004 02:17AM
<HTML>Anyone ever read up on this stuff and its potential hazards ?

Just curious as this was discussed at a recent seminar that Gary and I attended , and wondered if anyone else had read about the serious damage this stuff can do to your health ?

Jim.</HTML>
Re: Methylene Chloride
January 06, 2004 04:56AM
<HTML>Jim:

A good question deserves a good answer. For you and all the others who are concerned about MC go to the following website and get an eye full of good information:

www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/methylenechloride/-15k

You will find out more than you probably want to know.

Regards
bud abraham</HTML>

buda
January 06, 2004 08:43PM
<HTML>FOR SOME REASON I CANT GET THAT SITE, BUT METHYLENE CHLORIDE I THINK IT IS FOUND IN OVEN CLEANERS, PAINT STRIPPERS. I COULD BE WRONG. MOST OF OUR HEAVY DUTY CLEANERS EITHER CONTAIN SODIUM HYDROXIDE OR POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE REAL NASTY STUFF. WE GET OUR SODIUM HYDROXIDE IN A POWDER AND HAVE TO MIX IT OURSELVES. ON THE MSDS IT HAS 2 INDREDIENTS SODIUM HYDROXIDE 85% OTHER 15% THE OTHER IS USUALLY JUST FILLERS.</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
January 06, 2004 10:45PM
<HTML>Not sure why you can't get the site, I was able to source it last night.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
January 07, 2004 01:34AM
<HTML>[www.osha-slc.gov]

try that url Rob .

Jim.</HTML>
January 09, 2004 01:39AM
<HTML>Hey folks-
Methylene Chloride is metabolized by the liver to carbon monoxide...BAD BAD STUFF!!!!!!!! Also it's a suspected carcinogen. If you don't need to use it, by all means don't. What is it being used for besides a paint solvent???

-Rob</HTML>
January 09, 2004 03:17AM
<HTML>Rob, I believe it is , or was, used in some carpet dyes .

Jim.</HTML>
January 09, 2004 07:35PM
<HTML>Hmmm. I would take serious precautions if using carpet dye then. I would use chemical grade respirators or even external air source respiration, heavy chemical grade nitrile gloves, and serious skin protection (MC is rapidly absorbed through the skin!) when using carpet dye that contains this stuff or even better... let someone else do carpet dyeing!</HTML>
January 10, 2004 03:39AM
<HTML>thanks a lot Rob...

Jim.</HTML>
January 13, 2004 12:45AM
<HTML>Robert:

I am not certain what carpet dyes you are referring to as our system uses a water-based, heat-activated dye that does not have any MC in the formula and is completely safe.

Very interested in knowing about the dyes you are referring to.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 13, 2004 01:10AM
<HTML>I know of a company that is coming out with an acid based dye that you use from a spray bottle and warm water. Wonder how safe that is.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
January 13, 2004 02:03AM
<HTML>Brain:

Acid-based, heat-activated dye MUST be heated to over 150 degrees F in order to properly bond to nylon fibers. The use of warm water is not sufficient heat to get the proper bonding.

But this is a way to sell the product, "just use warm water."

It is safe, if it is a water-based, acid-based dye. But can you believe them about anything if they give you falacious information in the first place???

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 14, 2004 02:03AM
<HTML>For information purposes...the dye I was referring to is the aerosol can dye sold by Malco . I used this stuff once blissfully unaware of the hazards. Luckily I was outside at the time and using a very good face mask, not because of the hazards but because of the over powering smell . The MSDS sheet on the Malco web site states that it does contain MC .

Car Brite Carpet and Vinyl Dyes does not contain Methylene Chloride as they point out on the cans themselves.

Jim.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login