Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

sealants

Posted by ben smith 
sealants
January 11, 2004 05:06AM
<HTML>

Something dawned on me today. Why do companies put silicone in sealants when silicone doesnt stick to paint? I ask this because I always here how silicone causes major probs in bodyshops. Wherever the silicone was the new paint wont adhere. If you put silicone on finishes, it will seap into the layers of paint. Paint is pourous to some degree, I read that on autoint's website. Do amoinofunctionals cause the same problem in refinishing cases? So why would you use silicones in products?

thank you</HTML>
Re: sealants
January 12, 2004 03:48AM
<HTML>Ben:

A wax or sealant product does not have to contain silicones, but most do for durability.

There is nothing wrong with silicone in a wax or paint sealant product. It will not harm the paint finish in any way. In fact, it adds some durability to the product, as mentioned.

The issue of body shops and silicones is totally different issue that really does not effect a detailer.

Yes, silicone on a vehicle finish can cause some refinish problems but that is the paint shops problem, not ours. We use products that are going to give our customers the best job possible, and most have silicones.

If the vehicle needs to be repainted that is the responsibility of the painter to insure the finish is cleaned and free of oils; waxes; silicones, etc.

PAINT

Silicone does not penetrate into the paint, where did you hear that, it is fallacious.

Regards
bud a</HTML>

buda
January 12, 2004 06:57AM
<HTML>

Bud:

Im confused now. I talked with a chemist at a major chemical company and they told me that silicone was for shine and resins were for durability. Can you please clear this up for me.

thank you</HTML>
January 12, 2004 03:27PM
<HTML>Ben I replied to your email but it always comes back as undeliverable.

What chemist did you talk to?

bud a</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login