Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

oem finishes

Posted by ben smith 
oem finishes
January 14, 2004 03:13AM
<HTML>

How can you tell if a new car has been spot-painted at the factory or the dealer besides the tell tale signs of swirl marks? Is there any way to identify this?

thank you</HTML>
Re: oem finishes
January 14, 2004 03:27AM
<HTML>Not really sure Ben, other than perhaps measuring the paint thickness with a paint gauge .

Jim.</HTML>
January 14, 2004 04:14AM
<HTML>Ben:

Look for orange peel, overspray and wheel well over spray. A customer of mine has a brand new 2003 Honda Accord and didn't know his car was spot painted until I detailed it. He has over spray of his car's color in the wheel well.

Or if you want to get an even more professional approach, try Carfax and relate this back to the customer. I think it's the law that the dealer has to put this in the report if any alterations are done to the car such as repairs.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
January 14, 2004 07:33AM
<HTML>Ben:

If there is not a visible problem with the paint you are trying to correct why would you want to know if it had been repainted at the factory or at the dealership?

The most accurate way is to use a digital paint thickness guage which costs about $795.

A reliable, but not as accurate a way is the magnetic paint thickness guage at $39.95

A new car should have about 5 to 6 mils of film on it. If it has been spot painted or touched up it will read at least 8 mils or more.

Do you know the difference between OEM on line paint; OEM after assembly line paint and aftermarket paint?

Your question brings up a good point----------that a new car can have three different paints on it before it is received by the new owner.

What does this mean to detailers?

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
January 14, 2004 09:59AM
<HTML>Bud...

Your link in the user info is not working to your detailplus.com web site. Also, you need a catalog for all the stuff and send it to me!!! :-)</HTML>
January 15, 2004 04:32PM
<HTML>Author: ben smith
Date: 01-13-04
How can you tell if a new car has been spot-painted at the factory or the dealer besides the tell tale signs of swirl marks? Is there any way to identify this?

Bud,

You certainly make a good point on this topic, when you ask; 'What does this mean to detailers?'

As a professional detailer it is my job to thoroughly clean, polish and wax the car. I would never get involved in trying to figure out whether or not the car has been repainted.

Just my thoughts...</HTML>

January 17, 2004 06:09PM
<HTML>who makes this paint gauge?</HTML>
January 17, 2004 06:34PM
<HTML>Dan-you can usually get them at your local automotive paint supply shop. They cost anywhere from $15-$30 for the magnetic type. The electronic gauages will run you about $800. You can also pick them up on ebay quite frequently for $10-$15. You can also get them from Top Of The Line (topoftheline.com) or Paint Bull (paintbull.com).</HTML>
January 18, 2004 02:39AM
<HTML>ben smith:

Great question! simple answer.

Most factory painted automobiles have 4-6 mils of total paint, from the steel substrate to the top surface of the clearcoat. If you are using the magnetic thickness guage (pen type $30-$50), all you need to do is take several measurements around the car, and if all panels for example come up measuring 4-mils and one fender comes up 6 mils, that one fender because of its variation in paint thickness has probably been repainted.

These magnetic thickness guages (pen type) will not work on the aluminum trunk, hood, fender skins or plastic type bumpers.

I have one of these, it is an essential tool to have in the tool box. It will make your clients, customers, think that you are a professional when they see you using it during pre-examination of the surface and while you work. I found a good electronic type for $595.00 that has digital display, memory, etc., more precise tool.</HTML>

The problems of yesterday have produced the blessings of today.
Lot-A-Details, In Seattle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login