Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

car industry

Posted by ben smith 
car industry
January 18, 2004 08:12PM
<HTML>

Does anyone have a $figure on the amount of cars sold in the USA a year and the volume? Also on the flip side, how much money is lost in $ due to neglect of vehicles. For example, lost revenue at sale due to poor vechile condition. Unnecassary paint jobs due to neglect.</HTML>
Re: car industry
January 18, 2004 09:27PM
<HTML>Ben, as of November 2003 there were about 17 million new cars sold in the USA, which is considered a bit of a sluggish year for the industry. This comes out to about $3.4 billion in new car sales .

Depending on who's figures you believe, as many as 50 % of all cars on the road are believed to have been damaged in some way by enviromental issues , such as acid rain etc . So about 8.5 million vehicles.

You'll have to give me some time to work out the figures !

Jim.</HTML>
January 18, 2004 10:13PM
<HTML>ok, some more stats.

That was 17 million new cars/trucks.

While the 2003 figures are not in yet, there were 43 Million used cars sold in 2002, with whopping $376 billion in sales dollars.

Jim.</HTML>
January 19, 2004 03:36AM
<HTML>

Thank you Jim. You seem like you know the technical side of detailing to a great degree. Im interested in that paint book you talked about. The reason I asked the question about car sales is that Im going to be a guest on a local morning show and I thought that would be a good starter. It will get the viewers(its going to be on tv) awake and listening</HTML>
January 19, 2004 03:55AM
<HTML>Good luck with that Ben !

I dont know much but I read a lot . The paint book is a good read , havent had much time to read it yet but I have already learnt a thing or two .

I guess you could say something along the lines of "there are 3.4 billion dollars worth of damged paint finishes driving on our roads today "

Let us know how it goes Ben, be intrested to hear about it . How did you get the spot ?

Jim.</HTML>
January 19, 2004 04:34AM
<HTML>

I hired a publicist. I thought they only worked with celebrities. She called the tv station and pitched the idea. She is also working on the radio stations for a call in type program.</HTML>
January 19, 2004 07:38AM
<HTML>Ben;

Call the National Automobile Dealers Association in Washington, DC they have all the most current data on cars produced; sold and junked per year.

Here is some o ther good info to use on the show.

In 1980 there were only 4000 detail shops listed in the Yellow Pages. Today there is over 14,000 list.
In 1980 of the 15,000 carwashes listed in the Yellow Pages only about 10% at most offered detailing services. Today of the 17,000 carwashes listed over 85% offer some form of detailing.
Add to this the fact that probably over 50% of the 30,000 auto dealers in the USA offer some form of retail detail service.
Plus more and more of the 55,000 body shops offer detailing. Their major training institute, I-CAR even developed a comprehensive training course on to detail.

Why did this happen?

Starting about that time the cost of cars started to increase in price. As a result the financing terms increased from the 12 and 24 month contracts to the 48; 60 and even 84 month contracts of today.

In 1978 the average price of a new car was $7500 today it is over $20,000

And, you have people owning their cars longer. From 3.2 years in 1978 to about 9 years today.

So you have people paying more for their cars; owning them longer; seeing them as a huge asset and wanting them to take better care of them.

But you also had some social phenomenum occuring during the past 30 years too.

Husband and wives were both working; people were becoming more protective of their leisure time as the leisure industry has grown; people have less time for their families and leisure and want to protect this time; they have more disposable income.

So when you combine these two things together you have a huge demand for a service, detailing. People do not want to wash their cars in the driveway, let alone detail them.

This info should help make you a guru of cosmetic car care in your area.

REgards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 19, 2004 08:33AM
<HTML>Sounds like some great P.R. for your business ! I hope it works out great for you ! A great idea in hiring a publicist, I'm going to do the same thing ! I NEED ONE. LET THEM,GET ME IN THE DOOR ! And save me the hassle !
Its nice to see someone post an original idea on this fourm, instead of the usal bla bla bla..... same ole, same ole stuff !BORING !!!! keep THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX ! good job Ben !

keep us posted, on the outcome !

thanks for the idea ! IM GOING TO USE IT !</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
January 19, 2004 10:13PM
<HTML>thanks again ! for the idea !</HTML>

Visit my Web-Site
ColesCountyAutoDetailing.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login