Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

carpets

Posted by ben smith 
carpets
January 22, 2004 05:44AM
<HTML>

You cant effectively clean carpets without a hot water extractor period. Or cloth seats for that matter.</HTML>
Re: carpets
January 22, 2004 07:06AM
<HTML>According to the Carpet Cleaning Institute and all of the carpet and upholstery cleaning magazines I read the answer would be NO!!!!

A lot of detailers here say they do it without an extractor and have no problems. How do they know? Because the customer does not come back complaining.

The worst customer you can have is one that does not complain, they often do not come back.

Again, do what you want, I am only telling you that I look for my knowledge from the pros in a field and the pros in the field of cleaning carpets and upholstery that is less dirty and stained than what we deal with say, YES. YES.

What more can be said?

Bud A</HTML>

buda
January 22, 2004 06:16PM
<HTML>Bud,

I've never used an extractor that one can put a cleaning solution in the tank itself. I've always just used the extractor to rinse and vacuum the carpetsor upholstry after I've cleaned the material by hand or machine.
How do I give the material a final clean rinse?

Sincerely,

Mark</HTML>
January 22, 2004 06:50PM
<HTML>That's all the extractor is, a heated rinse. Mytee recommends using straight water without any cleaner in theri tanks.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
January 23, 2004 01:09AM
<HTML>Gentlemen:

You can use your extractor for anything you want. But the fact remains that in the professional carpet cleaning industry it is used to both clean and rinse with.

If you want to use it only with fresh clean water so be it.

However, it is to used in two ways:

1. To clean carpets and upholstery that are not so dirty that they need to be friction scrubbed. In that case you simply use the heat and the extractor chemical to do the cleaning. Without chemical this would be a worthless effort, you need the chemical to breakdown the oily dirt, water alone will not do that.

Key is that you use a 64 to 1 concentrate, non-foaming extractor shampoo, not a normal carpet shampoo.

2. To clean rinse after friction shampooing.

These are the professional methods of carpet and upholstery cleaning. If you want to create your own cleaning methods that is your choice, but for me, I do what the professionals recommend, and I consider the Carpet Cleaning Institute far more professional than a company that manufactures and/or sells extractors.

Let us not argue procedures when the procedures are already laid out for us by the professionals.

Regards
Bud abraham</HTML>

buda
January 24, 2004 01:01AM
<HTML>I have been using an extractor for about the past 8 or 9 years. When extractors first came available to me and probably most other detailers in my area, it was recommended to use a product "shampoo" in the extractor. The thought was that there was no need to pre-treat the carpet since it was in the extractor. This didn't work very well, especially on heavily soiled carpets. after that it was recommended to pre-treat the carpet then use the extractor with the original shampoo. After that it was recommended to use a neutralizing rinse agent to "neutralize the pH" of the carpet. Later it seem to become less and less of an issue of what to put in, or not to put in the extractor. Finally it is recommended to only use water, like Brian stated.
This is how its sold.
compare carpet cleaning to washing your hair. when you wash your hair you shampoo, then rinse. Do you rinse with more soap? No.. You rinse with water, to remove the dirt and shampoo.

weather this is the most correct way, who knows.. I'm sure our suppliers would love to have another product to sell us, but I belive the decision to use only water was driven by the manufacturer of the extractor. Not using chemicals reduces the risk of chemicals damaging the extractor that the manufacturer has to repair under warrantee.

take care</HTML>
January 24, 2004 02:14AM
<HTML>So, Phil...do you use shampoo or not, lol?</HTML>
EXTRACTOR SHAMPOO
January 24, 2004 02:22AM
<HTML>Gentlemen:

Keep in mind that extractor shampoo cannot be considered in the same light as our normal foaming shampoo.

If you dilute a product 64 to 1 how much active chemical do you really have in the water?

Plus it has no foaming agents in it.

Again to repeat how this is used:

1. Vacuum carpets
2. Spot and remove stains
3. Pre-Spray with foaming type shampoo and let dwell
4. Friction scrub
5. Extract to clean out and rinse out the shampoo residue and dirt.

A 64 to 1 shampoo is only offering a simple cleaning agent.

The analogy of the shampooing hair is somewhat correct, but remember you are not rinsing out of your hair the kind of dirt residue left in carpets after friction shampooing. That is what the shampoo is for, to "clean rinse" the carpet fibers.

Must keep things in their proper perspective.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login