Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Electric Leaf Blowers...

Posted by John Johnstone 
Electric Leaf Blowers...
January 22, 2004 08:47PM
<HTML>is it okay to use a leaf blower to dry off a car?

seems like it might be a good idea since you wont 'touch' the paint.</HTML>
Re: Electric Leaf Blowers...
January 22, 2004 09:43PM
<HTML>I've used them before, but you have to remember, they don't have any way of preventing dust or dirt from actually being blown fron the unit itself. This could present a problem if something gets blown from the blower onto the paint. Could cause scratches, etc. It's not likely to happen but just the same, it could. Use common sense and make sure the area that your using the blower is clean and as dust free as possible. I sometimes use a blower that I set on a table and it has unbelievable power. Bud sells them at www.detailpus.com. They are also indespesible for drying the interiors of your cars after you have done the carpeting and or upholstry. Hope this helps!</HTML>
January 22, 2004 09:48PM
<HTML>I also worried about blowing debre into the paint, but i think driving 60+ mph would do more damage than a leaf blower. Thanks for the advice.</HTML>
January 22, 2004 09:53PM
<HTML>John,

A good leaf blower can produce a wind speed of over 180mph. This is in a concentrated direction as to where you are pointing the unit. Very much different than going 60mph on the highway.</HTML>
January 22, 2004 09:54PM
<HTML>It works but some leaf blowers can be heavy. Use it if you like, just don't drop the unit on the car, hehe.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
January 22, 2004 11:07PM
<HTML> I have a leaf blower in the shop and I use it occasionally. Sometimes a luggage rack or big mirriors have water in them that keeps seeping out causing me grief and using my blower first alot of this extra water is pushed out. Another thing I do is use a blaster tip and my air compressor to blast the water out of the cracks.

John</HTML>
January 23, 2004 01:30AM
<HTML>all good advice. thanks.</HTML>
January 23, 2004 02:05AM
<HTML>If you choose to use a leaf blower then make sure it is brand new out of the box and not the one you also use to mulch the lawn on Saturdays.

In other words make sure that it is a DEDICATED leaf blower and it will work out great. I have been using a leaf blower on my clients high end cars for 6+ years now and never...never had anything blow out from it at the car because it is all I use it for.

Black and Decker or Sears makes the better ones.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
January 23, 2004 02:34AM
<HTML>Anthony
do you use gas or electric?</HTML>
January 23, 2004 03:41AM
<HTML>I've seen dealers use the gas powered ones to blos snow off of their new cars in the mornings before they open for biz. They don't seem to give a rat's booty about blowing chunks of ice & snow onto the other cars around it.

Ooo...i said blowing chunks, hehe!</HTML>
January 23, 2004 04:11AM
<HTML>Hey! Someone else with a serious sense of humor! Yeah, you said blowin chunks. I did not even see that until you onted it out....I must be slipping

I have a small air compressor that I use for fast air drying. It is nice for door handles and window edges, wheels etc. Sucks for blowing snow though. Then again, we dont have snow so I am covered.</HTML>
January 23, 2004 05:13AM
<HTML>John,

I use an electric leaf blower and would never use a gas for two major reasons.

1) It may leak gas and/or oil on the car, not to mention your own vehicle if oyu are mobile.

2) It is too freakin LOUD!

Anthony</HTML>

January 23, 2004 12:31PM
<HTML>Using a leaf blower sounds a bit unprofessional.

Do you really believe that a customer, who is willing to have their car detailed by a professional, will appreciate the fact that you dry their car with a leaf blower?</HTML>

January 23, 2004 02:16PM
<HTML>Frank,

If your statement or opinion be correct then ask yourself why I continue to get more clients?

Again, in the 6+ years I have been using an electric leaf blower to dry cars off with not once have I recieved a negative comment from anyone, client or passerby, but rather I have recieved the "I would of never thought of that" OR "Where did you learn that from?" comments. In fact I have two clients who like to care for their cars themselves and they went out and bought electric leaf blowers to do their own cars.

So yes, I really do believe that a customer, who is having me, a professional detailer detail their car, truly appreicates having their car dried with a leaf blower. Why? Well because they have never complained nor questioned it.

Thank You,
Anthony</HTML>

January 23, 2004 05:13PM
<HTML>A leaf blower will work but Frank is right, it will look a bit unprofessional -- or just funny. Better off using an air compressor. But if it works without negative feedback the by all means continue using it.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

January 23, 2004 11:26PM
<HTML> To me personally its not unprofessional to use the blower. But of course im in a shoip and not mobile so I dont know what thats like but nobody sees me doing this so I havent worried about it anyway.

I dont feel its anymore unprofessional than when I sit my industrial fan in the seat of a car to dry the interior when im in a hurry. I have had almost all my customers see me doing this from time to time and nobidy seems to mind or complain so I havent owrried about it either. I suppose it all depends on the person your servicing. If they percoeve this would be improper and you can avoid this for them then I would but in general I dont think most customers would think anything of it. Just my thoughts.

John</HTML>
January 24, 2004 02:28AM
<HTML>I think it's a very ingenious idea. But then again, I tend to be a creative person and appreciate when I see it in others. I really think the customers would think it's pretty neat, too. One thing's for sure, they'll sure remember you and most will probably appreciate the creaive, entrprnuerial spirit.

Plus, you can offer to blow the leaves or grass off his sidewalks for another $10. Ta-da...an add on service you probably hadn't thought of!! See what I mean about being creative, lol!!</HTML>
January 24, 2004 02:46PM
<HTML>AIR COMPRESSOR

The subject is really a MUTE question in my mind. The reason is that a fixed location should have a large enough air compressor as a necessary piece of equipment to use to dry cars.

A mobile operation can buy a small 3/4 to 1.5/2.0 compressor for about what a leaf blower would cost and carry it on the rig to blow cars dry.

In both cases you are very professional, using a professional piece of equipment for the purpose for which it was designed.

Just my take on it.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 24, 2004 03:58PM
<HTML>What many are over looking is the design factor. An air compressor is designed to store and deliver air at a high rate. A leaf blower, whether it be electric or gas powered, is designed to deliver air on demand, as in there is no storage tank, but the common denomanator is that they both deliver forced air.

The compressor may seem like the more "professional" of them BUT an air compressor small and light enough for a mobile detailer is also not that powerful and the tank itself will be small so this means that while it may deliver forced air it can only do so for a short time and it then needs to replenish air in the tank yet an electric leaf blower because it delivers constant air is not hampered by this dilemma.

Also the air stream from an air compressor is small and concentrated while the air from a leaf blower covers a larger area which means more water is being moved.

What I have concluded from the years of using one is that there is no water dripping from my clients side view mirrors, tail lights, molding or wheels as they drive off which is a huge annoyance with me. Now tis could of been done with an air compressor but it would have taken more time and been more difficult to apply.

If you still feel it's crazy or "unprofessional" then the next time you are in a car wash tunnel or see one ask yourself what's at the end of the tunnel and why?? Well is it not just a leaf blower on steroids??

Well I am sure we have beat this topic to the ground so adios all,
Anthony</HTML>

January 24, 2004 04:13PM
<HTML>I can see the logic. Just wish the leaf blower wasn't so big. Well look at the interior dryer -- large and tacky looking. Whatever works right. I don't use either so I can't join the debate -- I still open all doors, lids, hoods and microfiber to the max. A double fold with the microfiber and she slides into the side mirrors and under headlight and taillights with no prob.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

January 24, 2004 05:22PM
<HTML>Anthony is correct in his analysis of how each unit delievers air.

The leaf blower works off the concept of air volume whereas the compressor works off the pressure of air pressure.

Personally for our use in the detail business I think the "air pressure" is the best alternative.

I do not necessarily agree with him that an air compressor will run out of air.

All is all both concepts considered the compressor is the most applicable. Can you imagine trying to blow out air conditioning vents with a leaf blower? Why have two pieces of equipment when one will do both?

Just like dressings, one good water based dressing can be used in all situations.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 24, 2004 05:33PM
<HTML>Air compressors, even with water traps, still blow tiny amount of water and OIL out with the air. That is why you should NOT use an air compressor.</HTML>
January 25, 2004 02:54AM
<HTML>Robert, Im not trying to flame you , but Im going to respectfully disagree. I spray bumpers right outta my compressor, with nothing but a water trap at the gun. I havnt had a problem with oil or water. I use a craftsman oiless compressor, and drain the tank before I spray. Their may be some contanimants blowing out, but none that has affected my work. I also use the same compressor to blow crevices on the outside and in on vehicles. My 2 cents.</HTML>
January 25, 2004 06:06AM
<HTML>my two cents air compressor gets all the trimm filth out. its more detailed in its spray. you wipe what comes out.inside its the best. what ever you use,use with caution. who cares what it looks like when you are doing it. and that wind tunnel at car washs just move the water.
lj</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login