Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dog Odor

Posted by Robert Regan 
Dog Odor
January 25, 2004 06:05AM
<HTML>Is an ozone gen. the only way to remove it? I presprayed, agitated, removed all seats, extracted with light use of cleaner, then with only water, brushed the hair (prior to above), and there is still odor, albeit much better, but I expect total removal. Is an ozone gen. or similar air purifier the only way?

Thanks,
Rob</HTML>
Re: Dog Odor
January 25, 2004 06:11AM
<HTML>No, you can smoke in it for a couple of weeks.

I have used a fog machine with some success. I have also used odor shot. Depends on what the odor is. Is it urine, just plain dog smell or what?</HTML>
January 25, 2004 06:26AM
<HTML>You have to find the source of the ODOR first</HTML>

January 25, 2004 06:47AM
<HTML>The owner has three dogs which used the Xterra as their playground..there are scratches on the interior as well as the exterior. I am confident that I cleaned well...even lifted the carpet under the seats and scrubbed the bare metal.

It smells of dog, not urine.

Thanks, Rob</HTML>
January 25, 2004 04:02PM
<HTML>Phil:

What you have to get rid of is the bacteria that is causing the smell/odor.

After all the shampooing and cleaning you must have not killed the bacteria causing the problem.

As someone mentioned, you do have to get rid of the source, but that does not really apply here as we are not talking about feces; vomit, etc. This is just odor which is caused, again, by bacteria.

The ways to do that are:

a. Spraying and wiping a biologicla odor eliminator on all the surfaces of the interior or,
b. Using a fogger to apply the biological odor eliminator or,
c. Using an Ozone Generator

Personally I am somewhat concerned about Foggers in the interior of vehicles because of the generation of moisture and all of the electrical elements in the car.

As I have studied odors these are your only alternatives.

From my studies the only reason you would have to remove seats; carpets; padding, etc is if the animal urinated on the carpets or fabric upholstery and it penetrated the fibers; backing, etc. This is what the person referred to in saying you have to "eliminate the source of the odor."

Hope that helps.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 25, 2004 07:19PM
<HTML>After reading the rest of the post I used a product called odor ban [SAM'S CLUB] wipe down the interior [vinyl area] then lift up the carpet in the back replace the padding spray the ODOR BAN let dwell for about 15 mins return pad & carpet spray the interior turn the AC on turn the air supply to fresh run vehicle for 20 min GOOD LUCK</HTML>

January 26, 2004 02:57AM
<HTML>I took an extensive ordor removal course from Un-smoke. I got ceritifed (wow) to be a legal odor removal tech....still wow. I did learn a few things though and as stated by another member, you MUST find the source of the odor and remove it or the odor will return. No matter what you do, if the source remains, the odor remains.
Now, urine hides. In order to find it or any other protein stains that are not visible, a how power UV light is required. Urine comes out as acid but turns into salt I seem to recall and as a result it is a real bitvh to get out. It must first be turned back into salt. There are products for doing thos and Bud has some. For other protein stains, you may never seem them but will always smell them because the odor is caused by little guys that eat the protein. Am I spelling protein right? Anyway, there is another product that breaks the protein down so the little guys can eat it faster. The reason this is important to detailers is simply you may never clean out all of a stain, so you must feed the little guys faster. If you use a chemical that kills bacteria, the smell will go away but only unilt new little guys move in and start feeding on the food. Thats is why we clean the smell but IT comes back. The product has enzymes to assist the process.

Sometimes mildew smells like pet and is another issue altogether.
Smoke is the hardest because the size of smoke is so small it gets inot places smaller than water can. Herein lie the problem for us, most of the chemicals we use are water based. Hence, smaller partical must be used to mask the smell. You will never clean out the smoke smell..onoyu mask it. Thats where heat foggers come into play. they produce a smoke with an odor that is as small as the smoke smell and can cover the original smoke smell for good if iuse correctly. They chemicals used a solvent based chemical and can and will do damage if used wrongly. The scen used to mask matter greatly. It is as important as the procedure. Cherry scents work the best for smoke where citrus scents work the best for mildew. Before you zip off and buy a fogg unit be sure to be aware that fogging is really a last resort and to be used for cars that are being sold by a smoker to a non smoker.

Bud is partially right, these units do create a hassle but for reasons that are similar to using sovent dressing on tires. There is NO moisture in a dry fog...hence the name. There is however serious health issues as the fog has major chemicals. use a breather and use the fogger sparingly...a little goes a long way.

Hope this helps.</HTML>
January 26, 2004 03:10AM
<HTML>Awesome post Phil, thanks for the info.

I used to have a dog odour problem in my truck, but it cured itself when he lost his licence.

Jim.</HTML>
January 26, 2004 03:34AM
<HTML>Jim thats FUNNY

Phil, So did you get the smell out</HTML>

January 26, 2004 03:39AM
<HTML>Thanks!</HTML>
January 26, 2004 04:11AM
<HTML>Phil:

You are a man of many talents.

As for the mold spores you can get them out of the air conditioning system with an ozone generator.

Simply put a unit in the vehicle say on the back window ledge and turn it on; turn on the air conditioning system with the car running and shut the doors w/ a small crack in the windows.

The ozone should circulate thru the ac system and destroy all mold spores and smell.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 26, 2004 06:40PM
<HTML>According to my soureces, ozone in high doses is very bad....not that I care, I use acid wheel cleaner and solvetns based dressings and...well you guys know me by now. I thought you all might be better informed before you move on this though..

Ozone is an oxidizer. It is bad for the lungs in high doses and it takes high doses to actually work. These high doses are bad for materials too. Thats is to say ozone can and will do the same damage onlky to a smaller degree as sovent based drssing do but here is the catch, the ozone gets inot every little nook and cranny of the car.

Bud is right again, mildew will be removed or kille by the ozone BUT unless the moisture that casued the mildew is removed the spores will return and the smell will follow.

Here is a better idea for removing ANY smell from cars; after removing the source (cleaning, throwing out the dead fish..whatever) completely dry...then add a few ounces of activated charcoal under the seat or wherever.

You may ask yourself "Oh my, where do I find activated charcoal?" fear not my electronic friends....at a fish-pet shop. Carcoal soaks this stuff up in a hurry. It will only absorb the odor not the source. It dose not care if it is a fart or a coconut...the smell will magically vanish as long as you have less odor than charcoal.

To find the exact location of any smell in any room...house, car...two things must be present...heat and moisture. So, turn on the heater and use a spray bottle with clean water and mist in small areas of the room. If you think an ododr is coming from the back seat, heat with heat gun and spray the carpet and smell. Then spray the seat, headliner etc...if you have a keen sense of smell you will find it. However, many of us have lost our keen sense as a result of what we do. So, find ( I am serious here) a youger woman under 22 years old and get her to smell. For soem reason women tend to have better smell than we do. Espically for foul odors. If you are looking for perfum scent, do it yourself, women suck at that.

You see, in order for a thing to have an ododr it must be able to mix with water, there must be heat and....you must have the ododr absent from your olfactury nerev. That is why smokers do not smell there own smoke.</HTML>
January 26, 2004 06:53PM
<HTML>Someone asked if I got the smell out. I did not start this thread, I was responding. However, I charge big bucks for removing odors from cars and I do it. I offer the money back when the smell comes back. My sister company is Odor solutions. Big money can be made in this industry alone. Houses, hotel rooms, rental agencies etc.

But the tools for this trade are not unlike the tools we use.If any of you ever have a problem with odors, let me know.</HTML>
January 26, 2004 07:12PM
<HTML>wow iam realizing as i read more and more threads just how much is needed in order to run a detail shop, well a successful one anyway.</HTML>
January 26, 2004 07:41PM
<HTML>well iam still new to this forum and i have to admit at first i thought there wasnt any succesfull people here people that knew what they were talking about because the firs thread i read was about somebody talking about removing scratches with an orbital and i am not a proffesional but from working at a high end body shop i left that place with the basic polishing concept. wich is just like the body work you start. you start with g3 and wool pad(if using farecla) work it until what you were after is gone then you would use g10 with clean wool pad to get rid of g3 marks, then you would use the g10 with a sponge of the right "grit" to get rid of (coarse)wool marks then you decompound the car make shure you dont leave any white stuff then you apply wax accordingly and work it with the orbitor right?
please comment on what i just said and correct if neccesary</HTML>
January 26, 2004 11:03PM
<HTML>it really depends on the type of detail shop you want to run. In my area, hand washing and waxing and shampooing is plenty of work. Just so happens I can do a little more.</HTML>
January 27, 2004 02:38AM
<HTML>Roberto:

You and I will not be popular on this forum because we KNOW that an orbital will not remove scratches, only cover them at best.

I agree with what you have stated except that detailers only deal, at most with a three step process:

1. Light or micro fine compound to correct light to moderate scratches in the clear coat using a buffer; foam cutting pad or poly/wool cutting pad.
NEVER a white wool cutting pad, too aggressive for our work.

2. Buffer with a foam polishing pad and a swirl remover/polish

3. Orbital or by hand application of wax or paint sealant

We usually do not get into wet/dry sanding and having to use heavy compound and wool pads to remove sanding scratches.

YES, there is a great deal of science that goes into detailng. It is not like shining shoes. A good detail technician is as skilled as a collision repair technician.

If we can help you let us know, let me know personally.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 27, 2004 03:07AM
<HTML>I just got slammed on autopia for suggesting that orbitals don't remove paint imperfections. Someone did back me a little about the use of a rotary to remove such things, then follow with an orbital for protection..as an applicator.
Some comments were that with the right product the PC orbital can remove swirl marks and marring and not just hide them.

Rob</HTML>

&quot;Put your car in the Winner's Circle&quot;
WC Detailing Products
Cyclo, MF Towels, Clay, and more!
visit: www.winnerscircledetailingproducts.com
January 27, 2004 03:14AM
<HTML>Rob,

I do believe Autopia and Detail City share the same crowd. Don't take offense to them.

To tell the truth, I don't even own a PC orbital. Nor have I used my other orbital in years. So much easier by hand to apply wax and sealant, IMO. All an orbital seems to do is vibrate on wax.

How did we get from Dog Odor to orbitals?? hehe</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
January 27, 2004 03:43AM
<HTML>Rob,

Whats your Autopia name?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

January 27, 2004 03:51AM
<HTML>We got from dog odor to wax because orbitals stink. I use one, I put solvent based dressing on it. I use acid wheel cleaner by hand though. I do have this funny itch between my fingers.</HTML>
January 27, 2004 04:10AM
<HTML>Phil, at least you still feel your fingers!

Brian,

WCD is my name, gettin' slammed seems to be my game. I was banned by Dcity weeks ago for suggesting a non-boutique detail product and then the admin put his company's url as MY homepage!

I use my Cyclo for polishing, but also put on any protectant by hand. I only recently used a Cyclo and did all hand prior, except for my Milwakee for poor condition paints.

Rob</HTML>

&quot;Put your car in the Winner's Circle&quot;
WC Detailing Products
Cyclo, MF Towels, Clay, and more!
visit: www.winnerscircledetailingproducts.com
January 27, 2004 04:31AM
<HTML>Rob,

They're trying to say Auto Magic and Stoner aren't professional products haha.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

January 27, 2004 06:13PM
<HTML>sorry guys i didnt mean to completely throw conversation of topic
my bad...</HTML>
January 27, 2004 09:32PM
<HTML>we had a topic? we must be sliping</HTML>
January 28, 2004 11:07PM
<HTML>I used my orbital to remove dog odor. I used it with some auto magic stoner. The noise and agitaion was enough to make the dog run away. Is that eliminating the source?</HTML>
January 29, 2004 12:10AM
<HTML>HA! HA! HA!</HTML>
February 05, 2004 03:14AM
<HTML>I have the Ozone machine that you plug into the cars cigarette lighter from Top of the line bought 2 years ago and a Burgess electric thermo Fogger ,and a Hydrosensor tool that checks for moisture in carpet and padding.Ozone will damage plastics and such if indirect contact for very long time .I run my machine in every car after detailing for 30 minutes to give the fresh clean air smell then leave doors open for 30 more so its not to strong.Trying to eliminate mildew with one can leave a smell that is funkeeeee at best!I use horse needles to inject enzymes that eat the mildew under the carpet padding also do the same once thepet urine is detected with a ultraviolet detection light from outright,then Ozone for 30 minutes later in the day.The fogger I use for smoke ,fire,cigarette odors with a solvent as stated in the thread that is orange scented.The fogger will leave a residue like a oily film that can be messy if over used .All these are great money makers as said but practice and knowledge is a must to make money and not have a customer think your a nuckle head.</HTML>
February 05, 2004 04:30AM
<HTML>The fresh after tain smell William refers to si caused by the ozone gas numbing the olfactory nerve in the nose. Once this nerve is numb there is NO smell. This lack of smell is what smell fresh. It is what fresh SHOULD smell like since there is no odor to fresh. Just like water has NO taste. Fresh has no smell.
The airing out refered to is also a saftey rule. If you poind ozone into a car and keep the doors closed and then the clein gets into the car,he is now breathing a very harmful gas. However, if the car is aired out for say ten or so minutes, the ozone turns back into normal air (whatever that is) and the car is safe.

William, woukd you post the website where you bought your UV light and hydrosensor?

It is not my aim here to be a know it all as I sm surely not. I took a course that is offered by many janitorial supply companies and found this information very useful in my area. The hosting company was a janitorial company but the course was taught by Un-smoke. You can find them by doing a search.</HTML>
February 05, 2004 07:02PM
<HTML>Phil

I'm going to take that class in May THANKS FOR THE INFO</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login