Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

polish

Posted by ben smith 
polish
January 26, 2004 03:46AM
<HTML>

I read this at www.carwash.com under detailing articles jan 04 "bring the shine" It states quote"A quality polish is full of oils and other ingredients that put moisture back into the paint job" Is the oils they're speakig of silicones? Also what moisture are they talking about. I thought the purpose of detailing was to seal out moisture

thank you</HTML>
Re: polish
January 26, 2004 04:18AM
<HTML>Ben,

I was baffled as well when I read that the other day. A little contradictory I guess. We're told that there are no oils in the paint and that oil replenishing is BS. But reading the article it states to put back the oils.

This is what creates confusion in the industry. I guess the silicone is what was meant by saying oils.

Glad you pointed that out because I was going to post on this.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
January 26, 2004 04:23AM
<HTML>Ben, here is the info I have.

Polish is used to : remove light scratches, oxidation & swirl marks, restore shine, provide protection. It contains mild abrasives, solvents & resins. It restores shine by replenishing paints natural oils. The durability depends on amount & types of resins.

The abrasives heat the paint enough to : remove light oxidation, scratches & swirl marks, generate bond between resins and paint, and open the paints pores so resins can penetrate surface.

The solvents carry abrasives and resins to the surface, and perform light cleaning.

Resins. Replenish the oils depleted by oxidation, there are several types of resins....

1. Silicone :
-Non Permanent
-Physically bonding
-Chemically bonding
2. Glycerin.
3. Mineral Oil
4. Wax : Natural or synthetic.

Sorry, I have no idea what they are saying about putting moisture back in to the paint.

Jim.</HTML>
January 26, 2004 05:03AM
<HTML>Jim:

What you describe is a light or micro fine compound.

Remember what we tried to define as a polish for our conversations? It was to shine and smooth the paint and could serve as a swirl remover.

It is used as a second step after the correction step with compound.

BEN:

As for replacing oils in paint that is plain "BS" When paint cures it cures. You do not replace anything. Just because it is printed does not mean it is true. I have often criticized the magazines for printing articles by people who don't know what they are talking about, and it sounds like this person does not know. Who wrote that article?

Can't we get on the same page with terms:

Compounds - used for correcting paint finish problems

Polishes/Swirl Removers - used to remove buffer marks (swirls) from paint and to smooth it out and bring it to a high shine

Waxes/Sealants - used to protect the paint and provide some additional shine.

Glazes - body shop safe (no silicones or waxes) swirl remover/polish

One Step - on the right paint finish it will correct; polish and protect in one step.

Let's try to all use this terminology so we are always on the same page. Unless some one else has better terminology.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 26, 2004 05:03AM
<HTML>Jim:

What you describe is a light or micro fine compound.

Remember what we tried to define as a polish for our conversations? It was to shine and smooth the paint and could serve as a swirl remover.

It is used as a second step after the correction step with compound.

BEN:

As for replacing oils in paint that is plain "BS" When paint cures it cures. You do not replace anything. Just because it is printed does not mean it is true. I have often criticized the magazines for printing articles by people who don't know what they are talking about, and it sounds like this person does not know. Who wrote that article?

Can't we get on the same page with terms:

Compounds - used for correcting paint finish problems

Polishes/Swirl Removers - used to remove buffer marks (swirls) from paint and to smooth it out and bring it to a high shine

Waxes/Sealants - used to protect the paint and provide some additional shine.

Glazes - body shop safe (no silicones or waxes) swirl remover/polish

One Step - on the right paint finish it will correct; polish and protect in one step.

Let's try to all use this terminology so we are always on the same page. Unless some one else has better terminology.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login