Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Scotchgard on upholstery

Posted by weichieh 
Scotchgard on upholstery
January 27, 2004 06:51AM
<HTML>I contacted 3M on the use of Scotchgard for leather and fabric upholstery and below is the reply I got:

"Due to the growing variety in leathers used in upholstery, we cannot recommend that any or our Scotchgard(TM) formulas be applied to leather upholstery unless the manufacturer has recommended it. Use of any product may void the manufacturer's warranty.

Scotchgard(TM) protector could darken the leather from 1-4 shades, a color test is always recommended. Additionally, the protector for leather contains mineral oil that could transfer from the upholstery to clothing.

For care instructions it is best that you contact the manufacturer for directions. Please feel free to call us if you have further questions.

For fabric upholstery you would want to test our Scotchgard(TM) Fabric and Upholstery protector in the red can on the fabric to determine if the fabric is colorfast and if it is, you may use that on the fabric. This product is only meant to protect from spills and stains."

My questions:
1. How do we find out the manufacturer of the upholstery? Is it necessary to do so?
2. How do we tell if a fabric is colorfast?</HTML>
Re: Scotchgard on upholstery
January 27, 2004 07:38AM
<HTML>Ni-how!!!

You do not put fabric protectant on leather it is formulated for carpets and fabric upholstery. It will work on all fabric upholstery and carpets, no problem.

For leather you use a conditioner. There are many on the market. We use a MINK OIL based product. Same as the oil used in shoe leather conditioners.

Regards
RL Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 27, 2004 07:38AM
<HTML>Ni-how!!!

You do not put fabric protectant on leather it is formulated for carpets and fabric upholstery. It will work on all fabric upholstery and carpets, no problem.

For leather you use a conditioner. There are many on the market. We use a MINK OIL based product. Same as the oil used in shoe leather conditioners.

Regards
RL Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 27, 2004 04:42PM
<HTML>

Bud is correct fabric protectants should not be used on leather.

here are however leather protectants manufactured for the furniture industry and the automotive industry.</HTML>
January 29, 2004 12:40AM
<HTML>I was actually asking 3M about the "Scotchgardâ„¢ Protector for Leather Shoes, Boots, & Coats". Was surprised when they say "contains mineral oil that could transfer from the upholstery to clothing" and yet the product is meant for coats as well.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login