Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Bloody Dog

Posted by Jason Arkenberg 
Bloody Dog
February 01, 2004 02:06AM
<HTML>Wonder if any of you were doing bio-hazards cleaning? A client call me the other day and ask if we could remove dog blood from the inside of her car. Turns out her dog had cut his on a peace of glass while at the park.</HTML>
Re: Bloody Dog
February 01, 2004 02:24AM
<HTML>Whenever I do that kind of work use chemical for blood from Chemspec and steam clean with portable,and 30 % price add on,curious how others do it,,</HTML>
February 01, 2004 03:13AM
<HTML>Save your money on "blood cleaners"
Pour some hydrogen peroxide on the spots. Let them fizz up real good for about 30sec to a min. Then extract with room temp water. Repeat till the blood is gone. I use this to remove blood from everthing from cotton to silk!</HTML>
February 01, 2004 04:35AM
<HTML>That won't bleach or fade colors?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
February 01, 2004 04:58AM
<HTML>Be aware that the epa does have standard procedures for dealing with blood because of the possible dangers involved. You think fines for water are serious! These guys really get over amped when it comes to possible pathogens (spelling) and contamination.</HTML>
February 01, 2004 05:15AM
<HTML> USE ICE COLD WATER "ONLY" / [ GLOVES !!!!!!!!]

Mix 1 TSP of mild detergent [IVORY] with 1 CUP ice cold water
BLOT
Mix 1 TBSP of house hold ammonia with 1/2 CUP ice cold water
BLOT
SPONGE WITH ICE COLD WATER
BLOT
Extra with cold water ONLY</HTML>

February 01, 2004 05:57AM
<HTML>PHIL GOODE is correct, there are strict regulations for biohazard cleaning that you must follow to protect yourself and which you are obligated to provide for employees.

I have been doing some research into biohazard cleaning which can be a very lucrative field and specialty. However you need to know the laws; have the skills; the chemicals/tools and protective devices required by law.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
February 01, 2004 07:18AM
<HTML>Phil / Bud

NOT TO MAKE LITE OF THE HAZARD [?] BUT IT'S A DOG AND ALSO A STAIN DRY BLOOD or better yet goto a HEALTH DEPT / HOSPITAL [JANITORIAL] AND ASK HOW THEY DISPOSE OF THERE BLOOD YOU WILL BE SURPRISE VERY SURPRISE LOOK INTO IT !!!!! Or you can go to janitorial store and ask for a bio bag clean the effected area dispose properly in bag a LITTLE COMMON SENSE IS ONLY NEED HERE GENTLEMEN PLEASE</HTML>

February 01, 2004 02:13PM
<HTML>New,
common sense falls way short of the intent of the laws in this area. I simply want to encourage those who may be running a little low on common sense what serious health hazards are present when dealing with bloodborne pathogens.
Not sure how much blood is too much for a detailer without the proper training, tools, and chemicals to clean. But to suggest that it is a "dog" and it is only a little "dried" blood implies that anyone can do this. I can assure you that according to many federal and local authorities, "anyone" can not do this and the penalties are stiff.

So I ask you, how much common sense does one need to stay out of this arena until properly educated?</HTML>
February 01, 2004 05:32PM
<HTML>
There is no hype when engaging in clean up of bio-hazards!!! and it should be more of a real concern in our industry as many detailers do not have adequate health coverage and often times expose themselves to the risk of contracting infections diseases. In the case of blood whether animal or human we must exercise extreme CAUTION!! Common sense should prevail and we must treat all cases as a worst case scenario as the risks include HBV Hepatitis B Virus, HIV and other blood borne pathogens since we have no way of definitively determining the source.

To simplify the problem detailers engaging in this type should have a cleaning protocol and standard operating procedure patterned on the universal precautions established by the CDC (United States Center for Disease Control) and Osha standards which holds us responsible for providing adequate protection to employees exposed to blood and other potentially infectious materials, since a single exposure incident may result in infection and in some cases death.

The concept of universal precaution as developed by the CDC, states that all human blood and certain body fluids should be treated as infectious for HBV Hepatits B Virus, HIV and other blood borne pathogens Under circumstances in which differentiation between body fluid types is difficult or impossible, all body fluids should be considered potentially infectious.
Standard Operating Procedure should include the following:

1. Gloves should be worn when it can be reasonably anticipated that you or your employee may have hand contact with blood or potentially infectious body fluids when handling our touching contaminated items and gloves should not be re-used
2. Masks in combination with eye protection devices such as goggles or face shields should be worn whenever splashes, spraying may be generated and eye, nose and mouth contamination can be reasonably anticipated.
3. Disposable coveralls when there is evidence of gross contamination
4. Proper disposal of gloves, cloths and contaminated items
5. Proper clean-up and decontamination of all equipment, including extraction machine, brushes and tools used
6. Hepatitis vaccines
7. Cleaning with appropriate EPA approved disinfectants known to kill blood borne pathogens</HTML>
February 01, 2004 06:19PM
<HTML>Not to sound like a health nut or doctor but if the blood is dried up and has been sitting in one spot for more than an several hours, let alone days, then HIV and any other virus will be dead. A host is needed.

But to better safe than sorry, follow concoursgarage's steps.

Now bacteria, that's another story.

I feel sorry for those boat cleaners who had to disinfect those fleets of cruise ships in Miami in fall 2002 when there was an outbreak of the Norwalk virus. Over 1,000 passengers had this stomach virus. Heard it took over 600 sanitation workers to thoroughly disinfect.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
February 01, 2004 07:06PM
<HTML>Okay first we are talking about DOG blood. Dogs do not harbor HIV, Hep B, or Hep C. Second, Brian you are correct in that HIV dies quickly outsided the body (~24hrs). Lastly Phil/Bud you are correct in that Biohazard is serious business. HUMAN blood is different from animal blood and has a separate set of guidelines. After all, chef deal with cow and chicken blood and you don't see them getting biohazard trained!! Look up the regulations on dealing with DOG blood and then this discussion will become intelligent and meaningful again.

Hydrogen Peroxide does not affect color and is the main ingredient in color safe bleach. THe blood contains an enzyme called catalase that accelerates the conversion of hydrogen peroxide to water and oxygen. The oxygen attacks the heme in the blood as well as the protein to break it up.
Temperature is irrelevant but warmer temps speed up the enzyme activity.
The soap technique is somewhat useful but is time consuming and does not always work well.</HTML>
February 01, 2004 07:14PM
<HTML>Okay here's the link:
[www.osha.gov]

Plain and clear- animals are excluded. Use common sense and universal precautions (eyewear, gloves, mask if desired) and clean away.</HTML>
February 01, 2004 09:56PM
<HTML>Robert H wrote:
Look up the regulations on dealing with DOG blood and then this discussion will become intelligent and meaningful again.

I found the discussion meaningful and intelligent without having to look it up. I am glad we are all here to help you feel superior Robert.</HTML>
February 01, 2004 10:33PM
<HTML>Phil, I'm not slamming you or Bud. The point I was trying to make was that everybody was starting to speculate and the discussion was all over the map. I was stating we should look up the facts then present them. I also stated that yourself and Bud were correct and made a very important point. Biohazard cleanup is dangerous and the fines for being slack, as you pointed out, are VERY steep.
Again I apologize for stepping on toes, I mean no harm.
-Robert</HTML>
February 02, 2004 12:19AM
<HTML>I took your statement the wrong way. I should have been more thoughful.

I would like to point out (to no one in particular) that just because someone "says" it was a dog (and it may very well have been) does not "mean" it was a dog. It is most likely a dog but next time, it may not be. I, for one, am uncapable of telling dried dog blood from dried human blood. I have also lost close friends to blood borne killers. It is not an area we should overlook. People will bring cars with blood, sperm, snot and the like. We need to be educated HOW to handle these situations properly. If all I do is catch the flu, I loose work days.

Experince overides theory anyday.</HTML>
February 02, 2004 03:21AM
<HTML>You've got a point Phil. I'd hate to think of someone blaming their dog for blood spilled from a fight (people ALWAYS lie about fighting) or female things (okay gross but VERY common!). I trust this was a dog but it's wise to treat all blood as fatally harmful till proven otherwise.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login