Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

you have lost a potential customer??

Posted by Superior Shine 
you have lost a potential customer??
February 05, 2004 03:05AM
<HTML>Here is an e-mail I got after not showing up for an appointment. The appointment was for a quote only. I lost her contact info when my computer crashed.

Please read the e-mail then my response and tell me how I did and what you would have done differently. -

>>>>>>"Dear Joe,
I have read so many great testimonials about your business, but I have some negative feed back. I phoned you about a month ago about detailing my black Ford Expedition. You explained all about your services to me and your costs. You said you would be able to come to my home on that following Saturday afternoon, you took my telephone number and told me you would call me on Saturday. You never did. I waited ALL DAY for your call because I really was excited about having my car done by you after reading such positive things about your company.
I am really disappointed and sorry to say that you have lost a potential customer"<<<<<<<

and this is my responce, so far I havn't heard back from her ---

>>>>>>Thank you for your e-mail.

I would prefer that somebody would bring up something that bothered them than allow it to go un-noticed.

I do remember you and our appointment for a quote on your vehicle. When I make an appointment I copy the information down then enter it into my Microsoft Outlook calendar on my computer. The Thursday preceding our appointment my computer crashed. I lost everything, all contacts, all addresses, everything.

Knowing that we had an appointment and that I didn't have your number or address, I did keep my cel phone on and checked in often for any messages. I hoped that you would call to find out where I was and then I could explain my situation and then make the appointment.

That was the best I could do under those circumstances.

Please accept my apologies for not showing up. Being a business that relies on my computer I should of had a back up system in place.
I am now set up with a electronic address book as well as I back up my information daily to a CD disc.

I am truly sorry that I lost you as a client and hope that one day Superior Shine can make it up to you.

Again thank you for this e-mail. I will use it to improve my business.

Sincerely,

Jose Fernandez <<<<<<</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
<HTML>Right on the money,short sweet and your not whining about things you couldnt control,very professional and better yet you didnt suggest a discount that might make you cut corners and tick her off again!!!</HTML>
Re: you have lost a potential customer??
February 05, 2004 03:57AM
<HTML>Wouldnt have written it any differently myself Joe, good luck, hope you win her business back.

Jim.</HTML>
February 05, 2004 04:05AM
<HTML> Yes you couldnt have done better. You cant win them all. Once in a while one slips through the cracks. I have to think though that if she didnt have some interest in your business still she wouldnt have wrote that email to begin with.

Offer her a freebie of some sort or a coupon and I bet she comes back. Your explanation is so reasonable that I would imagine she would come back to you for another try.

John</HTML>
February 05, 2004 04:08AM
<HTML>Superior Shine:

A wise man once told me "A good business man ALWAYS carry's paper and pen/pencil on him"

This is not what I would do different, it is what I do!

What you could do different the next time a situation like this arises is; Instead of telling him/her what YOU will do, ask them; "I am very sorry I created this problem between you and I, What would you have me do to make this right between you and I"? Drop it right there! and let them tell you, if they will.

HEK! They might want you to push a peanut across the Golden-Gate Bridge with your nose!

True forgiveness is based in action through principles of language of the heart, which gives us the vision and the ability to truly understand and to forgive others through our own hearts, and true vision is true forgiveness.</HTML>

The problems of yesterday have produced the blessings of today.
Lot-A-Details, In Seattle
<HTML>Author: Superior Shine
Date: 02-04-04
QUOTE:
"I am truly sorry that I lost you as a client and hope that one day Superior Shine can make it up to you."

Jose Fernandez,

Your words are nothing more than empty, meaningless excuses.

I have to wonder what you really mean when you say you "hope that one day Superior Shine can make it up".
1- What do these words really mean?
2- What would you do when 'that one day' comes?
3- When is 'that one day' you are hoping for?
4- What action would you take when "that one day" comes to win back her trust and confidence?

Maybe you should simply try to put yourself in her place. All she really wanted was to have her Ford Expedition detailed. That is all.

I have to wonder how she may have responded if you offered to "make it up" by giving her Ford Expedition a complimentary detailing.</HTML>

February 05, 2004 04:37AM
<HTML>Man, I make mistakes everyday. I like how you handled it and hope I can do it that way when (not if) I need to..
I, for one, appreciate your sharing that here and hope it works out for the best.
Had it been me I would call you back. Then again, I bath with a buffer.</HTML>
February 05, 2004 06:01AM
<HTML>Good response Jose, but I have one suggestion when you write emails, letters for ads:

NEVER start a sentence with "I" or "We"

ALWAYS start a sentence with "You" or "Your"

NEVER use an I or We before you use a You or Your in a sentence, or using their name.

It is very difficult to do but it makes you think before writing.

Look at how often someone writes you a letter selling you something and uses I, I, I.

In your email you used the "I' 15 times. Is that bad? Who knows, but it is something that is good to remember when talking to someone else to refer to them and not you so often.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
February 05, 2004 06:54AM
<HTML>Bud,

Is that a Freudian mindtrip? Does that mean we're egotistical if we do that? Like, that old saying, "there's no "I" in team."

I, oops, I mean YOU make a good point in this but yes, it's very hard. :-)

Joe,

Frank is right. You could've won her over I'm sure if you offered a complimentary detailing. That's one way to win her over. Remember though, you can easily bring a customer in but only results will keep them coming back. So when she drops off her SUV, do the best you can to impress her and that will keep her coming back. Think of the free detail as a way of acquiring a loyal customer.

Definitely invest in a Rolodex for next time. Mistakes happen.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
February 05, 2004 07:20AM
<HTML>Thanks all for your (see that Bud, I USED "YOUR" FIRST-lol)) for your responses.

Here are some answers for canna-

1- What do these words really mean? - Sorry means I am sorry

2- What would you do when 'that one day' comes? - perform as promised

3- When is 'that one day' you are hoping for? - Up to her to decide

4- What action would you take when "that one day" comes to win back her trust and confidence? - Actually as much as failing this one person bothers me we consistently over deliver and please 100% of our clients.

After I perform a service on a vehicle I leave a postage paid comment card in the vehicle. I then do a follow up call 3-4 days later to make certain that the client was 100000% pleased with the service. On the rare event we get anything less than perfect satisfaction, we do almost what ever it takes to make it right.

Keep in mind this happened over a month ago. I gathered from her e-mail that we lost her and she got it done by somebody else. She doesn’t say it right out this is only what I took from the e-mail. My hope was that when it is time for a detail again she will call us.

I do agree that there is something behind her sending me the e-mail. Maybe she was curious as why I didn't show or -- ??????????</HTML>

February 05, 2004 01:46PM
<HTML>You guys are being overly harsh with Joe. Mistakes happen - that's life. I am sure Joe has learned from it and will handle his appointments differently from now on to avoid this happening again. As for giving someone a complimentary full detail for not showing up for an estimate is nuts. I would be completely happy to offer a complimentary wash & vac or 25% off of a full detail but let's remember that this was an estimate (at least from what I gleaned from the original post) and not a firm commitment of a detail. Just my $0.02</HTML>

<HTML>Ditto Scott. Joe, I think you handled that quite well.</HTML>
February 06, 2004 04:35AM
<HTML>
Joe, that comment card is a great idea. Could you mail or email me one?

Thank you
ben smith detailing p.o. box 3234 santa rosa ca, 95402
smithsdetail@yahoo.com
707.585.0929</HTML>
February 06, 2004 04:36AM
<HTML>There is a time when clients need to be fired. One thing that business owners always want non business owners to think is that the customer is wlays right. Bull hock. . There are times when a client or customer has to be let go. Even if it is at the start.
I have in place a policy for deciding when to fire a customer and it is my policy based on my experince. But, this policy is not published nor mentioned when it is enforced. I am afraid of a customer who does not understand when things happen. I am a one man show and can get too busy to be productive if I spend much time putting out useless fires. Crisis management.
In my humble opinion, a well written response explaining why the crap hit the fan is enough.
We forget sometimes our role as clients. Understanding goes a long way when it comes to any relationship. And that is what I strive for with my clients. They do not expect me to be perfect...so I can deliver that. I also do not expect them to be perfect and they deliver that.

I want reputation for being good and fair. I will NOT do whatever it takes to make you happy. I will do whatever it takes to be fair.</HTML>
February 06, 2004 05:11AM
<HTML>Joe-Your response was excellent. I read it as if I were the customer. I would definitely give you a call based on that response and thank you for responding and explaining the situation. If I had already gotten the car detailed in the interim, I would tell you that. I would also say that since you were my first choice in detailers, I would bring it to you in the fall and give you a shot at becoming my regular detailer. Hopefully, you would in fairness for your screw-up, thow in a freebie, knock something off like Scott suggested or give a free upgrade to the deluxe package. I would not expect a free detail, but a gesture of good will would go a long way with me.

As far as customer comment cards, did you guys know that studies have shown that businesses get a 25% greater response if they send the surveys via email? Plus, there's no postage involved. Plus, you don't have to spend time filling out the address prior to mailing it. What I plan to do when I open my shop is to have each customer fill out an information card when I do the first job for them. That card will have fields for all vital info, including email. Then, when I deliver the car, I will advise them that I will be emailing a customer survey within the next day or two and would appreciate their co-operation. Studies show people are more willing to make detailed comments when responding electronically. This is great for developing testamonials for your website, brochures, etc.</HTML>
February 06, 2004 06:11AM
<HTML>Rod W.

Thanks for your input.

I get just about 100% responce after we do a vehicle. If they do or don't send in the comment card they still get a call from me.

I do try to get everybodies e-mail but it seems like only about 30% of my clients have and/or are willing to give it to me.

Phil Goode - well said.</HTML>

February 06, 2004 07:36AM
<HTML>Joe:

Send me one my way too please. Great idea.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

<HTML>Author: Superior Shine
Date: 02-06-04
QUOTE:
I do try to get everybodies e-mail but it seems like only about 30% of my clients have and/or are willing to give it to me.

Jose Fernandez,

As a detailing professional, I would never ask a customer for their personal email address. That is simply an invasion of their privacy.

You will find that this is contrary to what many detailers on this forum would want to consider. My feeling is that there are unspoken personal and private rules of doing business with a customer.

In other words, a bond of trust must be established between you and your customer before they may actually be ready to hand over that kind of personal information. It is their choice and believe it or not they may not even like the fact that you are asking. They may think it is simply none of your business.

I have chosen to contact my customers by email only after they have sent an email to me. Once they send an email to me then they have let me know that it is okay to communicate with them by email. Until that time I would not violate their trust and privacy by asking them for their personal email.

As far as sending a comment card by email. I would only send something like that once I have established that common trust stated above.</HTML>

February 06, 2004 03:21PM
<HTML>Frank,

When I fill out a work order I ask for their e-mail. I explain to then that I can send them reminders and such. To give me an e-mail is not mandatory.

I believe the e-mail isn't any more or less private than their phone number.

My second largest group (2nd to small business owners) are retired folks. Most of them don't even have a computer so no e-mail.

Also the comment card is left with a vehicle if they are a first time client.

It is designed so it can be used anonymously.</HTML>

February 06, 2004 03:40PM
<HTML>What every detailer should have is a Job Service Order, which when signed by the customer, gives you legal right to work on their car. All professional automotive repair shops have such a Job Service Order.

At the top is all the customer's personal information: Name; Address; City/State/Zip; Phone and now, today, Email.

If the customer leaves the phone and email blank you should ask for this information simply so you can contact them in the event of a problem or when the vehicle is completed.

If they do not want to give you the information, so be it. However, do not hesitate to ask for the information.

The fear with emails today is that they will end up getting all sorts of "junk information." However, a 3 to 4 month reminder that it is time to get a detail is not really junk mail.

Like all things with customers you simply handle things on an individual customer basis.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
February 06, 2004 03:48PM
<HTML>WHAT I WOULD DO IS TO CALL THE CUSTOMER PERSONALLY IF YOU CAN GET THE TELEPHONE NUMBER.

NOTHING IS BETTER THAN TALKING TO SOMEONE AND LET THEM HEAR THE APOLOGY IN YOUR VOICE.

MAYBE THEY DID NOT GET YOUR EMAIL? MAYBE THEY DELETED IT AS JUNK AND DID NOT READ IT.

TAKE MATTERS INTO YOUR OWN HANDS AND MAKE SURE YOU "KNOW" THE CUSTOMER RECEIVED YOUR APOLOGY AND EXPLANATION.

RIGHT NOW YOU CAN'T BE SURE THEY EVEN READ YOUR EMAIL.

REGARDS
BUD ABRAHAM</HTML>

buda
February 06, 2004 07:37PM
<HTML>What I did was received the yacht club's membership directory, stored all the email addresses in my Outlook address book, created my newsletter and mass emailed. When I did this, included was a link to unsubscribe. Out of 100+ email addresses, only 2 unsubscribed.

People enjoy reading my newsletter because they care for their boats. I know who unsubscribed and alos know their boats. Can you say moldy, dirty, floating piece of fiberglass.

Frank,

Why do you feel getting contact info is an invasion of privacy?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

<HTML>Brian,

I have all of my contact information, such as phone number, website and email address on all of my marketing and advertising materials.

I always communicate with a new customer only by phone. If they email me, I will ask for their phone number so I can personally talk with them about getting their car detailed.

When a new customer calls and sets up an appointment I will give them my business card and other information which also contains my email address. They can choose to contact me in the future by email. I do not ask them for their email.

It is my feeling that when a customer wants me to have their email address they will simply shoot me an email and that will open the door to communicating by email.

I believe it is one of those unspoken personal and private rules of doing business with a customer. I am strictly trying to look at this from the point of view of my customers. It is their privacy I am protecting and they will email me when they are ready.</HTML>

February 07, 2004 07:04AM
<HTML>"I am trying to look at this from the point of view of my customers."

That's what I was thinking too, Frank. I know that as a customer, when I get survey cards in the mail, they either get tossed or set aside with good intentions to fill out & return, then my wife tosses them after they sit around for a week. I hate getting unsolicited phone calls from businesses when I'm at home, so I screen my calls via caller ID & figure if it's important they'll leave a message & I'll call them back. But emails....I thoroughly enjoy filling out email surveys. I fill them out right away and shoot them right back to the sender & delete them from my computer. So, for me it's done and gone within a couple minutes. I don't mind getting them at all and it always says right in the subject line "customer survey from ABC" so I know it's not junk email because I just did biz with ABC yesterday. As far as sending reminders, I just put in the subject line "Time to schedule your semi-annual auto detailing with Touch Up 'N' Go!" and customers know it's not junk mail as they recognize the name. If I don't get a response in a few days, I'll follow up with a call, but it's very rare that I have to.

Hmmm....Frank, hope you're not developing a phobia about using these new-fangled computers!! Just how old did you say you were, lol?</HTML>
<HTML>

Rod W,

"Many detailers do not look at things from the point of view of their customer.

Just study many of the posts on this board and you will easily see how so many of the detailers here are only interested in how everything affects them.

Very little talk here about the point of view of their customer."</HTML>

February 07, 2004 03:59PM
<HTML>good job on getting back to her and giving her a reason to call again.
hope you took the right steps to ensure another computer crash does not put you in the same situtation.</HTML>
PRICING STRAGTEGY
February 07, 2004 04:02PM
<HTML>Frank:

When you say "pricing strategy" you make it sound like some sort of game you have to play with customers in terms of what you charge them for your services.

Look, it is simple! Figure out your hourly business rate to do business and cover your costs.

Then multiply this hourly rate times the hours to do the job. It is as simple as that.

If you do not charge the customer what it costs you to operate you will loose money and go bankrupt or out of business.

The customer must understand that the detail business is no different than going to a body shop or an auto repair shop.

Why complicate life by playing pricing games with the customer, just charge them what it costs you to do business???

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: PRICING STRAGTEGY
February 08, 2004 05:04AM
<HTML> Bud you idea about the form the customer signs a good one. For about a year now we have been doing this and including in the signeed paper the selected treatments the customer has purchased. At the bottom above the customers signature is a little bit of wording allowing the detailers to work on and drive the car on our property and to perform the above marked procedures (washing, buffing, ect). It is a simple form that our Attorney approved and revised for us. It gives us a professional method for dealing with customers and it shows that them we are running a serious business.

Oh and Bud your comment about the use of "I" in the begining of every sentence was like a rude awakening for me! Its slightly embarrasing to look back at all the times I had been doing that and from here out I want to try to apply those thoughts in my language.

Thanks,
John</HTML>
February 08, 2004 05:04AM
<HTML> Bud your idea about the form the customer signs a good one. For about a year now we have been doing this and including in the signeed paper the selected treatments the customer has purchased. At the bottom above the customers signature is a little bit of wording allowing the detailers to work on and drive the car on our property and to perform the above marked procedures (washing, buffing, ect). It is a simple form that our Attorney approved and revised for us. It gives us a professional method for dealing with customers and it shows that them we are running a serious business.

Oh and Bud your comment about the use of "I" in the begining of every sentence was like a rude awakening for me! Its slightly embarrasing to look back at all the times I had been doing that and from here out I want to try to apply those thoughts in my language.

Thanks,
John</HTML>
February 08, 2004 06:34AM
<HTML>John-Why are YOU double posting. Don't YOU know that YOU only have to hit the enter leu once. Their is no need to hold YOUR finger down on the enter key. A simple, single tapping of the enter key will ensure that YOUR post is entered and we will all be able to see YOUR words. YOU shoud be more considerate of YOUR fellow forum members and realize that they may find YOUR double posting to be redundant.

Sorry, John...just having a little fun at YOUR expense. Please don't take offense to MY post as I don't mean any harm by it. I'VE just had several Labatt's and I'M in the middle of a creative streak, lol!!!</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login