Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wheel refinishing?

Posted by Phil Goode 
Wheel refinishing?
February 08, 2004 05:48AM
<HTML>Anyone here do or try this?</HTML>
Re: Wheel refinishing?
February 08, 2004 08:05AM
<HTML>What do you mean by "refinishing?" Are you talking about repolishing when the wheel has been severely damaged? Or just shining them up?

Bud A</HTML>

buda
February 08, 2004 02:27PM
<HTML>Repairing curb damage and road rash on wheels. There seems to me a market for this type of service.</HTML>
February 08, 2004 04:12PM
<HTML>I have all the equipment and paint to do this type of work but have yet to get a customer in that has damage that can be repaired by simple refinishing. Unfortunately the damage is usually more than just cosmetic and that being the case I won't touch it.</HTML>

February 08, 2004 04:37PM
<HTML>Phil:

Scott is right on with his commentary and answer. You can polish and shine up wheels. But to repair as you indicated requires special equipment and the ability to take wheels off the car and off the rims. This is not something a detailer would do, especially a mobile detailer.

You are looking at being in the wheel repair business.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
February 08, 2004 10:55PM
<HTML>There was a company at the MTE that does damaged wheel repair their name is Kwicksilver Systems. They sell the franchises and equipment.</HTML>

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way...
February 09, 2004 01:46AM
<HTML>
Scott, how long have you had your system?
Bud, many of these systems that are seen online advertise mobile wheel repair without having to to take off the wheel. I am sure this is only cosmetic but it looks interesting. This is the kind of thing detailers WOULD do if given the right customer. Almost every car I do has at least one wheel that has been "curbed" and in need of repair.
I would think dealers would fo nuts over this.</HTML>
February 09, 2004 02:34AM
<HTML>Phil:

[www.forums.audiworld.com]

There is a lot of this type of damage. It can be brought up during vehicle inspection w/customer. Your call!</HTML>

The problems of yesterday have produced the blessings of today.
Lot-A-Details, In Seattle
February 09, 2004 04:35AM
<HTML>My curber clippers are usually female. Everytime my ex-girlfriend came over, I'd be waiting on the porch a lot of the times and I'd hear that "shhhhhshhh" sound of the tire meeting the curb.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
February 09, 2004 11:39PM
<HTML>I looked at purchaseing the mobile wheel repair ,I believe it was Precision wheel technology 10.000 but someone in charlotte bought the territory before I could make up my mind!I think this would be a great career move for mobile detailer or by itself !</HTML>
February 10, 2004 12:37AM
<HTML>The folks I met at the expo spek of a man doing it oujt of a small storage type warehouse. He had a wheel machine and torches but they had trained him to reapir wheels. Even wheels that were out of round.
They said this man was doing around 100k.

Who knows. Maybe they were telling the truth.</HTML>
October 25, 2005 03:45PM
<HTML>we do refinishing in upstste ny. give a call if u need to chat about the buisness.. 1-518-743 9928</HTML>

focker
October 25, 2005 06:59PM
<HTML>We have done Wheel Refurbishing for 2-3 years now, and found it a very popular service.
The problem is that with split rims, polished rims, chrome wheels, Magnesium, veri-colour and other specialty finishes, you have to be careful. It seems that a large number of the enquiries we get are for jobs we can't do, so we end up refering them to an engineering company.
The engineering company loves us, but we spend far to long on the phone... customers ring up and say "can you fix my wheels?" and you have to ask 20 questions to make sure you can!

Many of our enquires come from our web site, so I did an FAQ (which needs updating yet again) to help filter the calls.
Have a read, you will get an idea of what is involved

<a href="[www.clean-image.co.uk]; target="_blank">Alloy wheel refurbishment FAQ</a></HTML>
November 23, 2005 04:41AM
<HTML>I just came upon this site..I know its been awhile since you asked questions on there. But your response caught my eye....no one I know of could make $100k a yr repairing wheels alone, unless you are a huge company like keystone, wheels america or the like. I know that for certain, after 30 yrs in this business myself. Cosmetic and wheel straightening is not a big business unless you fall under the major wheel repair companies.</HTML>
December 22, 2005 09:22PM
<HTML>I know here in Memphis they are making a killing doing wheel repair. I have a mobile Paint Touch - up service.
Car Max just started asking me to do their wheels.
I know how to smooth them out but anyone know what they use as a filler???
Any help would be appreciated.</HTML>
January 04, 2006 12:14PM
<HTML>Fill any minor indentations with Bondo Lightweight Filler 264 and Red Cream Hardener, allowing approx 30 minutes before you shape / sand</HTML>

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login