Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Mobile Detailing - WHAT CAN YOU GROSS??

Posted by Bud Abraham 
Mobile Detailing - WHAT CAN YOU GROSS??
February 08, 2004 09:59PM
<HTML>Having never operated a mobile detailing business/route I am not familiar, on average, what a one-man mobile detailing business can expect to gross per month. And, how many months a year can you gross that amount?

Thank you.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: Mobile Detailing - WHAT CAN YOU GROSS??
February 09, 2004 01:38AM
<HTML>Lets assume that in a perfect world with proper weather and the right advertising/marketing one charged on the low side...say 110 bucks for the middle of the road detail. This detail takes 2-3 hours average. One could do three a day no prob and work 5 days a week minus rain and colder days (these days are few and far between).
$330 x 5. 1600 a week +/-. Year round. Minus expenses.
Throw in the occasional touch up or dye job, odor removal, scratch repair or buff job and you have a decent living.
Ad a hired hand, some real marketing and up-scale details and now you can really move ahead. Put two guys on the truck plus you, do some tinting at over a hundred bucks a pop while the guys do the detail...

And as you know very well Bud, no rent, no utilities.
These prices are on the low side but very realistic. Bump these low prices up with ad ons and off you go.</HTML>
February 09, 2004 02:14AM
<HTML>Imagine having a fleet of 5 mobile rigs with 3 guys per unit. Say they can do 3 cars a day at $200 a pop.

$600 a day X 6 days = $3,600 a week for one unit.

$3,600 X 5 = $18,000 a week

$18,000 X 40 week (for New Jersey weather) = $720,000 GROSS a year.

Then you have 15 employees under you with payroll, benefits, insurance for each. (All a tax write off!)

This is in my future plans for detailing when all is said and done. One step at a time though.

And that's just mobile detailing for cars. Add boats on top of that and a fixed location or headquarters where you can do several cars a day as well.

This can be big business if one wants it that way.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
February 09, 2004 03:18AM
<HTML>Brian:

Marvelous goals, I wish you luck. But for someone who found The E Myth boring you might not reach that lofty goal.

What I really wanted to know was what are one-man mobile detailing businesses grossing now?

People ask me all the time what can you make in the detailing business. I can tell them what is possible in an established fixed location because that is where my experience is, but I really do not know what many of you people are making in your one-person business. Brian; Gary; Phil, Jose?

Thanks

Bud A</HTML>

buda
IMPERFECT WORLD - Real Gross
February 09, 2004 03:28AM
<HTML>Phil:

But we all know that this is not a perfect world, it is imperfect made up of imperfect humans, as we all are.

So "perfect world" aside, what are you grossing, more or less, today?

That is the key issue of my question, "what are those doing the work now grossing?"

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: IMPERFECT WORLD - Real Gross
February 09, 2004 03:42AM
<HTML>it is not the type of thing I would care to share here. Obviously not as much as is possible. That is why I have asked for your help with the marketing.
I can say this; it has grown leaps and bounds and still grows..weekly.
There is soon coming the day that I alone cannot get to all of my clients.

Is this going to be another post about why mobile guys need a fixed location?</HTML>
February 09, 2004 03:53AM
<HTML>I have spoken with many mobile guys in the past and have talked with some that have claimed to be making great money and some that have admittedly not done so well. Overall, most have conceded that they are not making more than $25000-$35000 a year with no retirement savings or health insurance plans. If this is truly the norm I would have to ask why anyone would bother doing this rather than just getting an average job without all the headaches of owning a business? That said, not everyone is motivated to make a lot of money in business, just gain some job satisfaction and control over their own time.</HTML>

February 09, 2004 03:53AM
<HTML>Phil:

Thanks for the post. I can understand that you do not want to share your financial numbers on a public forum, that is your choice certainly and I respect it.

NO, this is not another post inferring that mobile operators should go to fixed locations. That too is every individual's choice.

My point in asking questions is to stimulate thoughts. The questions certainly are not meant to be personal toward anyone. They are simply questions about your business that you may not have asked yourself before.

When you look to the future, what are your plans? What do you want to be doing with your mobile detailing business in 5 years? Operating as you are today? Can you even do that and survive in business.

Hell, we started out with our CENTRAL CHEMICAL DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM almost 20 years ago and if we had not added all the other things we are now doing we would be out of business.

20 years ago I had a 15 X 15 office and no manufacturing plant, no real inventory, etc. However, we had to move to our 10,000 square foot facility and expand just to stay in business. You cannot remain stagnent in business.

My point in these questions is to get all detailers, fixed or mobile to think about the future and where they want to go and what they want to do.

If you keep doing what you always have, you will get what you have always got.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
February 09, 2004 04:14AM
<HTML>Bud,

Just because I found the E-Myth boring doesn't mean these goals are unreachable. There are thousands of business books out there. The real one that gave me inspiration was "Losing My Virginity" by Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Records, Virgin Atlantic. A down to earth billionaire who still takes taxis around New York. He took nothing and made it into everything. Just grew and grew and grew. It's an inspirational read and sure everyone will feel the same way.

As for the one man operation, my best week was $1,600. Obviously, the weather here is nothing like San Diego and is also unpredictable. But remember, I do boats too, not just cars. Boats will boost your revenue up dramatically.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

February 09, 2004 04:23AM
<HTML>Bud,

I Guess I just missed your last post while I was writing. You speak of the 5 year goal. I have already approched this goal and must say it gets better every year. Either I'm doing something right or the market is bearing more opportunities.

Several years ago, I wouldn't even conceive of doing a boat let alone know how to do one. I took the plunge and started marine detailing -- thanks to my neighbor asking me to do his. Some reasearch and I was able to do it. After that year of being in boat detailing now, I became Precision Auto & Marine.

I guess you can classify me as a virus since I have a set course to:

Invade (Acquire business at a yacht club or brokerage and retain their business -- making the othr detailer obselete by offering higher quality than he)

Multiply (Gather help so I can talke on more business -- marinas, yacht clubs, brokerages, dealers, etc.)

You like that analogy don't you?!?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

February 09, 2004 04:10PM
<HTML>I grossed 61,000. I work avg about 9 1/2 months. Thats about $6200 a month (no weekends) and about $350 a day.

We have made $450+ in a day before so I know it can be done.

My wife just quit her $43,000 year job to raise out new baby girl. So it is up to me to hold the fort.

My plan is to double my income in the next year. So far so good.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
<HTML>Joe are you a one man operation ,if so hats off to you 61,000.00 for 1 man mobile is working smart and hard.Shoot even 2 man in my area , mobile wise would get you a letter of commendation!</HTML>
February 09, 2004 11:51PM
<HTML>Bud,

I think Scott hit the nail on the head when he said that most ONE MAN mobile detailers are lucky to have a NET income of $25,000 - $30,000 per year.

There are some serious challenges with a one-man operation. First of all, one man can only do so much work and gross so much in a day. Secondly, factors like weather and scheduling confilicts usually make it impossible to have a full schedule every week. If the owner is sick or on vacation, there is NO gross income genrated.

Now consider that a one-man mobile detailer still has to pay fixed expenses like their vehicle, insurance, and depreciation on all the equipment a mobile detailing operation needs.

Notice that most of the people that reported figures high than this either had employees or were reporting the figures they WANT to make. If there are genuine ONE MAN mobile detailers out there making more than $30,000 a year after expenses and still have all the equipment, insurance, etc. that a professional operation must have then I'd like to talk to them.</HTML>
February 10, 2004 12:21AM
<HTML>In 2003 I net (in my pocket) $37,000. I have had a part timer since Aug.

Remember that is for 9 1/2 months of work.

The other 2 1/2 months are taken up with two big vacations per year and a few little ones, rainy days, holidays, sick days.

That would be $47,000 (net) for 12 months.

I project we will make $90,000 gross this year with one helper. To date (Feb 9) we are right on track.</HTML>

February 10, 2004 01:01AM
<HTML>I would respectfully have to ask all the guys out there running their own detailing operation what you want to accomplish out of being your own boss? I would imagine most of you became your own boss because you wanted to 1. make more money 2. gain some control over your life 3. achieve a higher level of job satisfaction. How many guys have achieved this? I know when I started my detailing business over 10 years ago I was young and stupid but highly motivated and had a strong work ethic. My goals were to have made $1000000, owned a nice home outright and have the vehicle I wanted all by the time I was 30. I didn't achive all these goals ($1000000? yeah right) but I did achieve most of them because I worked my tail off and LEARNED everything I could about business and detailing. I was fortunate enough to meet some wonderful people who have mentored me over the years (not the least of whom was my father until his passing) and helped me over the rough spots every business will encounter. It was very helpful for me to look at all the detailing businesses that opened and then closed every year and analyze the reasons why this continually happened.
Most of us have lofty goals and dreams of what we can achieve by operating our own detailing business but are often not realistic. I have been on the forums for years and see the same guys asking the same questions and having the same problems as they did years ago? Why? Business as usual or fear of change? Like the old saying goes " the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". I have after 10 years achieved what I would like to think is a pretty decent level of success but I still strive to improve. I still work too many hours and take too little vacation. There are still things at my shop that I think can run better, faster or easier. Most importantly, I believe I can make even more money than I made last year which was a very good year for us. Not everyone who opens a detailing business will ever achieve success or make a lot of money but many don't seem to care. I worked for peanuts to get my business off the ground and become profitable but I would never work for $30000-$40000 that most guys are making in this business. I have been offered jobs paying TWICE that and only be working 40 hours a week and have a month of vacation every year (plus full health insurance and a pension plan).
Keep striving to be better and don't give up guys. Moreover, you may not like all the things you have to do to take your business to the next level but that's a choice you will have to make. Business as usual or innovate and overcome? You make the choice.</HTML>

February 10, 2004 01:04AM
<HTML>Gary:

I think you are correct, it would be very difficult for a one man operation to net a huge living with all benefits, etc.

That is not to say it cannot be done but I think most mobile operations find it hard to work 40 hours a week filling each and every hour with work.

But we are not here to say that this is a bad business, only to question where people think they are going with a one man operation.

The key issue is what happens, as you stated, if someone takes ill or is disabled for two or three months? Yes, no one expects to get sick or have an accident. But that is why they are called accidents.

No one expects to die either.

bud abraham</HTML>

buda
February 10, 2004 01:27AM
<HTML>Bud asks - "What happens if you get sick for two weeks?"

I have health insurance and money in a savings account to cover all my bills for three months.

If that gets used up I have over $100,000 in credit between 5 credit cards and I have about $85,000 equity in my home.

Also I own two classic cars and other "toys" that can go if I needed more money.

I am orig. from Miami, Fla. I started detailing just to make ends meet until I returned to Fla. For years I could care less about growing big.

Fast forward 13 years and I now own a home and I'm married w/children.

I did get myself in a rut and I am getting myself out of it. I am not out yet but getting there.</HTML>

February 10, 2004 02:36AM
<HTML>Satisfy my curiosity here , and these questions are for mobile and fixed operators.

1/ Those of you that have plans to employ more people , what is the best way to go about recruiting quality employees ? I dont really mean the finding the right guy type of thing, but how will you attract them in the first place , what will you use to bring them to you ? What benefits do you offer ?

2/ Given the average cost of health care ( $2,650 per employee for single coverage, and $7,053 per employee for family coverage ) , is that going to make too much of a hole in profit margins to be viable ?

3/ How do you recruit someome to come and work for you, in a job that might not pay the best , for what may well be seasonal employment, with little or no benefits , in comparison to what else is out there ?

Jim.</HTML>
February 10, 2004 03:36AM
<HTML>I had a great client before 9/11 and the hi-tech market crashing and he paid me a salary and with that plus my other clients, that I had two hired hands caring for, I was in the $50 to $60,000 range.

I still work for that client but not full time now and I now only have one helper plus a part timer a few days a week. The problem with myself lies in me being my worst critic. To me a detail is never done.

Many of you detail first for the money, the business aspect of it but I, and many others I am sure, on the other hand detail because I truly love it. The money aspect of it is not why I do it because if it was I would have quit years ago. Many here talk about hiring 3 or 4 guys and them doing $200 and up details but honestly I could never find anyone who does the level of work I expect for that $200 or $300. Frankly no one I hire will have the love, desire and compassion I have for detailing because no one but me has a vested personal interest in my work. This though is to be expected and I have come to acknowledge it as such.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
February 10, 2004 05:53AM
<HTML>A guy I trained with said, "There's the right way, and then there's MY way." Anthony, I think that is what you are saying.

Many detail employees that I've met work until they "think" they have it and then get a tank, pw from HD, and some cheap products and off they go. Keeping them is difficult due to many factors.

Worker's Comp in CA is outrageous and many small companies simply can't afford it.

If you can offer employees an incentive that makes it worth their while, perhaps they won't leave. I once saw an application that stated if you leave within 1 yr. and start your own detail biz, then the said company collects a percentage of your profits. Basically, the company wasn't paying someone to train just to have them leave and start detailing.

It's difficult fellow detailers, but we've seen people here that are successful with employees. I think the main cosideration is capital. Think like a restaurant where 95% fail in the first 3 yrs. The ones that do survive have enough capital to stay in biz without a sale for months. I think one downfall are the guys who start out with planning their expenses around equipment and some marketing.

Thinking like a restaurant, you need enough money to survive very slow biz and I'm talking about covering house expenses, health benefits, food, bills, etc., not just a shop's rent. The two main reasons restaurants go out of biz are lack of capital and poor management. Notice I didn't say lack of good food. That may be why crappy detail shops and cheap washes stay in biz. They have the capital to keep it going and after a period of time, they are busy no matter what the quality they put out. A local ol' fashioned car wash is owned by the most poorly trained tunnel wash. No one really knows this and figures the "Hand wash" is better than the tunnel down the street. However, they are owned by the same guy. It's fun to watch a busy day when guys are running down the street to the hand wash to help. However, with that said, both places crank out cars all day long 7 days per week! Thus, even if I feel I'm better, who's making the big money?

I think capital is key. The best chefs go out of business and the best detailers can't afford a shop.

My thoughts,
Robert Regan</HTML>
February 10, 2004 06:01AM
<HTML>Robert:

You have got it. Business is all about money/capital. If you do not have capital to sustain a business for the first year you will probably go broke.

This not just opinion. The national statistics state clearly that most small businesses that fail, fail due to a lack of money.

When I opend my first DETAIL PLUS Centers in Portland we had the best locations; the best equipment and very high tech looking shop. But when we ran out of money to advertise and promote we struggled and struggled.

That is my point in several postings, a lot of people go into this business thinking they can get by with nothing. A few do, I am not sure how, but I am sure it is a huge burden on their family if they are married. If they live at home and have no major expenses they might make it.

But why struggle like that? You need to work smart and not hard in today's competitive world. You got to be like aphids, not the ants. Does anyone know that story of the aphids and ants. Learn it, that is how to get ahead in business today. The smart ones don't do it by the sweat of their brow anymore, well maybe just a little.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
February 10, 2004 06:10AM
<HTML>Well said Robert. I'm also for the 2 year non-competition agreement. You invested in them, not money but knowledge (your knowledge) and they're going to start their own thing? No way. Even if they go broke after 3 months -- It's not so much the competiton but the principal of the fact.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

February 10, 2004 06:28AM
<HTML>Scott, I own my business for my FREEDOM. I love it!

My wife gave birth in mind Nov and I took 2 1/2 weeks off to be with the new family. I know people that get a day off if they are lucky and then have to go back to work.

I enjoy target shooting up in the mountains near LA and to go up on a week end is nuts. I can take a weekday off and hav ethe shooting range all to myself. I also get my haircuts, go tothe bank, shopping etc... when all the regs are at work.</HTML>

February 10, 2004 06:37AM
<HTML>I also do it to be my own boss, do what want without a supervisor questioning me or looking over my shoulder. If I feel under the weather, I don't have to call out and risk being written up. It's all about freedom, period. Then the money.

If all else fails, I have a choice to be a fireman or work in politics with my Uncle. Yes I can make great money with these jobs and get a oension, state benefits, etc but taking the path I choose. So far, everything is beautiful. Each year gets better than the last. But winter sucks.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

February 10, 2004 06:38AM
<HTML>Jim-In response to your questions about hiring. I'm just starting to look into this myself. The business coach I'm starting to work with has some great ideas about hiring people. He suggests that you run ads & collect resumes, referrals, etc. Then, you get them all to come to your shop on a Saturday morning. You've got this group of prospects that you explain everything that they will be trained to do and what your expectations are. You then give them an application to fill out and tell them that you'll be back in 20 minutes to collect their applications and that each of them will have to give an impromptou 10 minute presentation as to why they would be a good fit for your company and what assets they bring to the table. You also tell them that if they decide not to stay, just leave the blank applications on the desk and they can leave, no hard feelings.

By the time you come back in 20 minutes, 75% of the group will have left. The ones remaining have some real interest in learning the craft and help you build up your business. Depending on how they do in their presentations will determine if they merit further in-depth interviews.

I guess to entice them, you may want to offer them a decent hourly wage with regular increases as they complete certain phases of their training and help your shop's production increase. Profit sharing or bonuses are also an excellent incentive.

Another option to consider is a newer concept called "employee leasing". This is where you hire the employees and "sell" them back to a leasing company so that, technically, they work for the leasing company. The leasing company provides work comp, deducts taxes and issues their paychecks, but you still control them as if they were your own employees without the overhead and liabilities. You pay a leasing fee for each employee and from what I understand, it's slightly less than what your overhead would be if they worked for you. You just don't have the overhead or the payroll & insurance headaches.

I would suggest that to avoid the problems of training people and then having them leave, you should try & hire a well-rounded staff of people in their mid-40's to early 50's who've been laid off or are retired from their career jobs and are looking for something completely different to do or just want to supplement their income. The retirees are the best because they're usually dedicated and conscientious and they have no need for benefits. You could even have a staff of part-time retirees that would be happy working for $10/hour for 25-30 hours per week. They're the type that have either tried retirement and are driving their wives nuts or they're just bored and want something to do. they can learn a new skill, continue to feel valuable and earn some extra money. Plus, since they're already retired, it's unlikely they want to set the world on fire so you don't have to worry about them stealing your customers and becoming your competition.

Here in the northern climates, you could probably lay them off or at least reduce their hours in the winter, so if they want to go to Fla. for 2 months, it's no problem. Their kids are grown, so you know that won't be a problem. I've got 3 guys that were customers & got to know me & they want to come & work for me when I'm ready to expand. One is retired, the other two have been laid off & are looking for full time work.

Also, if you're just starting your shop, you can offer them the incentive that one or two of them will eventually be promoted shop manager, team leader, etc.

I think there's many ways to get creative & give people incentive to come & work for you. You just have to dig a little and get creative.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post, but since I'm kind of looking forward to that situation very soon, I thought I'd share what I've recently learned.</HTML>
February 10, 2004 12:34PM
<HTML>Rod, we think alike in some ways ! I was thinking about the 40-50 year old age group ( not far off that age group myself) .

Thanks for your helpful post, appreciate it .

Jim.</HTML>
February 11, 2004 06:21AM
<HTML>No problem, Jim. Glad to be of help to someone who's given me (us) a wealth of free information.

I've seen many detail shops in the area using high school or college kids to work in their shops. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I've also seen the quality of their work. It's not bad, but not bad isn't going to cut it if you're working on $50K + cars and they're willing to pay $2-$300 for full detailing & t/u services.

Plus, my feeling is that these kids aren't looking at this as a long term opportunity. They're just doing to earn some date money or to help pay for college. So, they're not all that passionate about it. But, I would consider hiring a high school kid, part time to come in & wash the cars for $6-$7/hour. Of course, this would be after I teach him how to wash the car.

Otherwise, I think the middle age guy who just wants to be semi-retired would be good, even if it's only for 3-4 full days/week. I'm in that age group myself and have always gotten along well with older folks, so for me, it's a very logical choice. Not to mention that they're going to have a well-developed work ethic if they're retired or laid off from a career employer they worked at for 20 years. Says a lot about their loyalty, too.

I'll let you know when I learn more about this employee leasing in the near future.</HTML>
February 11, 2004 08:29PM
<HTML>bud e-myth was a great book and thank you for introducing that book to be. I modelling my enterprise after TGI Fridays. There motto is great food, great service, sparkling clean restaraunt.
Now as for my goals Bud,

I would like my enterprize run 24hours a day, longer running times = lowers your over head costs.

1st shift 9 - 5 auto detailing, residential power washing, decks, homes, pools, etc.

5 - hot power washing rigs with 525gallon tanks to each rig. ( no down time looking for water )

2 - 2 man crews working on auto detailing and car washes

2 hours per car, 2 cars per hour - at average price $150.00 - x 8 hours a day = $2400 a day x 7 days = $16800.00 a week

3 - 2 man crews running power washing services
average single story house = $300
average double story house = $400
average deck clean/ seal = $400

3 hours per house, 3 houses per hour at average price $300.00 - x 8 hours a day = $ 7200 a day x 7 days = 50400.00

2nd shift 5 - 1 tractor trailer washing, commercial power washing $15 a tractor x 50 tractors average per fleet = $750 per fleet x 2 fleets per night = $1500 a night x 7 nights = $10500

3rd shift 1- 9 restaurant hood and vent cleaning
5 rigs at 5 different restaraunts with 2 man crews at $550 per store - x 5 stores = 2750 a night - x 7 days = $19250 a week

1st shift $16800
2nd shift $10500
3rd shift $19250
total a week $46550x 52 weeks = $ 2420600 a year.

boy i better get started</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
February 11, 2004 09:01PM
<HTML>Rob,

Awesome goal. Notice how a lot of us have the crews doing the work more than ourselves? As the boss, we will be able to send them off to their designated jobs but we get to choose which job to tackle for us, while reaping in the profits. All of us also make sure our workers will be happy and well taken care of so quality is not sacrificed.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login