Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

98 Jag

Posted by Jeff King 
98 Jag
March 02, 2004 03:31AM
<HTML>High end customer comes into my shop with a beautiful 98 xk8 only problem is he has what appears to be tree sap marks on a portion on the trunk lid. I have used everything short of high explosives but I can’t seem to do any good. Does anyone have allot of experience with Jaguar and if so what king of clear are they using I can’t seem to do much good. FYI I am using high speed buffer with blue coral compound following with chromo 1500. Just cant seem to penetrate the clear.. Thanks ahead to anyone can help.</HTML>
Re: 98 Jag
March 02, 2004 03:58AM
<HTML>To remove tree sap I use green rubbing alcohol put some a small cotton rag massage the sap GENTLY then protect paint

If sap is grey in color it might be too late sounds like its in the paint or rather the clear

If there a nub, It pulled the paint or rather drieded it out</HTML>
March 02, 2004 04:28AM
<HTML>Fellas,

To remove the sap, all you have to do it use Mineral Spirits on a rag several times. Each pass will dissolve a small portion of the sap and since the sap is rock hard, it will take a while.

I removed stucco from my father's Park Avenue (which he takes to the construction site, why I don't know) and it took quite a while but that was the safest and most effective method.

Sap is easier to remove than stucco!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 02, 2004 04:40AM
<HTML>Brian-when your dad stuccod his Buick, did he mix in the glitter sparkles so the ceiling would reflect the light like freshly fallen snow? Hmm...odd choice for a headliner...stucco.

Jeff-Be careful. Cuttiing through the clear is the one thing you DON'T want to do. If you do that, then you're going to be paying for a new paint job. As far as the brand of paint/clear that Jag uses, I can't tell you. I think it might be Standox. But, it's extremely hard & durable. Jag does some of the best painting you'll see. they put on several coats of basecoat.

Brian & N.A. are right on the money. They both are good for sap removal. Both will take several applications so I'd use Brian's method if the stuff is that petrified. Mineral spirits may work a bit faster than denatured (green) alcohol.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
March 02, 2004 04:55AM
<HTML>Thanks for the bolstering reply Rod!

I love Mineral Spirits. It's like the cure all for most detailing dilemmas.

Grease spot on the carpet -- MS it! Tar that won't come off during a wash -- MS it! Dad's stucco -- MS it! Getting back at the ex -- MS in her baby oil lotion!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

March 02, 2004 11:35AM
<HTML>LOL, your just wrong Brian.</HTML>
March 02, 2004 02:51PM
<HTML>How about clay.</HTML>
March 02, 2004 06:24PM
<HTML>Clay might work but would take forever. The sap needs to be dissolved.

Solo,
I was only kidding about the ex, just trying to be funny -- which I see I accomplished. Actually, there is mineral oil in baby oil, not sure if it has the same elements as spirits. Doubt it.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

March 03, 2004 12:09AM
<HTML>Jeff King:

What type of marks? leftover scratches from someone trying to remove the sap? paint lift? give us a detailed description of what you actually see (magnifiying glass sometimes helps).</HTML>

The problems of yesterday have produced the blessings of today.
Lot-A-Details, In Seattle
March 03, 2004 01:05AM
<HTML>i use ms for sap as well.it works the best.p.s. i miss my x...but my aims gettin better smiling smiley</HTML>
March 09, 2004 12:01PM
<HTML>Thanks I brought the paint up to hide it some. Its still there but the customer was happy we got it as well as we did.</HTML>

Jeff King
March 09, 2004 12:11PM
<HTML>What stumped me was the sap or whatever it was had gotten into the clear. I couldnt tell if had got to the paint or not. Changed the process a bit and went with a malco mag 1 mag 2 and then flash wax. Didnt take it out but everything around it was so bright who could see a little tree sap.. LOL</HTML>

Jeff King
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login