Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Why a pressure washer???Really?

Posted by reconbyfire 
Why a pressure washer???Really?
March 06, 2004 02:43PM
<HTML>I can see a pressure washer for vehicle restoration.....Why would you use it on a new vehicle?

*good degreaser for an engine comes off with a hose and nozzle
*same with bug & tar products
*hose and nozzle for tires too.

Otherwise the vehicle 'really' should be hand wish only.

Dave</HTML>
Re: Why a pressure washer???Really?
March 09, 2004 02:07AM
<HTML>I used to use a squirt gun but it took too long.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
<HTML>Joe, you aint right!</HTML>
<HTML>Oh!!!

You noticed it as well.

I have known the "Cuban" for a few years.

Your observation is correct based upon my time of knowing the "Cuban".

He does produce great looking babies though.

We all hope and pray that a new, yet to be discovered, medication will someday solve his other concerns.

Ketch</HTML>

March 09, 2004 03:06AM
<HTML>Top reasons a pressure washer is more efficient for car washing than a garden hose:

Pressure washers quickly remove caked-on mud from wheel wells and lower rocker panels
Pressure washers remove bugs without a bug sponge
Pressure washers use less water than a garden hose
Pressure washers rinse soap faster than a garden hose
Pressure washers are the most effective way to clean floor mats
Pressure washers are the most effective way to clean door jamb hinges
Pressure washers are the most effective way to clean engines

Go to any high volume car wash operation and you will find a pressure washer in the prep area. Nothing is faster or more effective for prepping a car for a wash.</HTML>
<HTML>Very well presented, Gary!

The only thing that the "newbies" should be aware of, is that too much pressure and with the wrong nozzle at the end of the hose, may create some serious concerns.

You and others, who have been in the business a while, know this.

A pressure washer, properly utilized, speeds up the cleaning process, but there are times when a bit of old human agitation of the surface may be the better way to get things clean.

In other words, use the pressure washer to "loosen", to "soak", quickly, but they are not a "cure for all that ills the car".

Like I said, you know that, I know that, and so do those who have been around awhile.

Ketch</HTML>

March 09, 2004 04:59AM
<HTML>Plus, there is nothing like the feeling of 4000 POUNDS of pressure in a mans hands that HE and HE ALONE has the power to turn on and off at his whim. Garden hose? Not even close.
Not to mention pressure washers are good for blasting dirt dobbers of the ass end of a boat that has sat for the season. They not only clean cars well but take out your frustration on your buddys sidewalk by spelling out his Ex wifes name. Or, take out YOUR wifes undies and put a good clean'n on em.
If the paint on your next car has some serious chips, you can remove those chips in a flash! They take of the little Mazda letters well too. Strip unwanted black plastic parts. Open soda cans and if you put coleman lantern fule in your tank, you have one helluva flame thrower.

Try all of that with a garden hose and the boys will think your a little off.

My 13 year old hates to get inot a water fight with me now. I am sure his eye will be fine.

And mine is mobile!</HTML>
March 09, 2004 07:21AM
<HTML>Ok, while we are on this topic, I bought mine about 3 months ago and was thinging that I might have gone over board. Mine is a Ex-cell 3600? 3600 psi @ 4 gal/min.

I use a 25 degree angle on it and everything seems to be fine. Is this too much?

Here is a link to one just like mine...

[cgi.ebay.com] (Just copy & past)</HTML>
March 09, 2004 05:58PM
<HTML>I use a 2700 honda pressure cleaner and could never go back to using a hose. It cuts my time in half

Cleaning vinyl tops
engines
wheel wells
rims
tires
On cars that have been parked under trees and not taken care of its great to blast all of that gunk out of the creases. Im sure you guys know what im talking about. The more you spray the more that gunk comes out</HTML>
March 09, 2004 10:36PM
<HTML>THESE DEPARTMENT STORE POWER WASHERS ( HOME DEPOT - LOWES - SEARS ) ARE GARBAGE POWER WASHERS I CALL THEM THROW AWAY UNITS. 1ST OF ALL THESE POWER WASHERS ARE DIRECT DRIVE POWER WASHERS. WHICH MEANS THAT THE ENGINE RUNS AT 3500 RPM TO MAXIMIZE HORSEPOWER, WHICH ALSO MEANS THAT THE PUMP IS SPINNING AT 3500 RPM. A PUMP THAT RUNS THAT HIGH WEARS OUT ALOT QUICKER. IT ALSO RUNS HOTTER WHICH ALSO MEANS THAT THE OIL NEEDS TO BE CHANGED MORE OFTEN. NOW CAT PUMPS ARE REALLY GREAT PUMPS BUT THE MAINTENANCE ON THE CAT PUMP IS REALLY HIGH THE OIL IS ALOT MORE EXPENSIVE AND WHEN IT IS TIME TO GET THE PUMP REPLACED OR REPAIRED IT WOULD BE ALMOST CHEAPER JUST TO BUY A NEW UNIT. NOW THE HONDA ENGINES ARE REALLY GOOD ENGINES, BUT LIKE THE CAT PUMP MAINTENANCE IS REALLY HIGH. AIR FILTERS FOR A HONDA IS CLOSE TO $15 - $20 DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF THE ENGINE. OH YEAH I FORGOT HONDA IS NOT THE MOST FORGIVEN PEOPLE WHEN YOU ARE OUT OF WARRENTY THEY ARE CROOKS. IT COST ME $230.00 BECAUSE MY PORTABLE TIPPED AND OIL GOT ALL UP IN THE HEADS OF THE PISTONS.

I HAVE A 20HP BRIGGS & VANGUARD ENGINE WITH A BELT DRIVEN GENERAL PUMP HOT WATER & STEAM COMBINATION. IT PUTS OUT 3500 PSI AT 6.5 GALLONS PER MIN ( PRESSURE IS NICE BUT WATER VOLUME CLEANS ) USING THE STOCK SPRAY TIP OF 5.0 ( NOT SPRAY PATTERN BUT ORIFICE SIZE ) BELT DRIVEN PUMPS LAST 100X LONGER THEN DIRECT DRIVE, ENGINE SPEED IS 3500 RPMS WHILE PUMP SPEED IS ONLY 1450 RPMS. GENERAL PUMP IS PROBABLY THE BEST PUMP ON THE MARKET AS IN INITIAL COST AND MAINTENANCE COST. THE VANGUARD ENGINE IS VERY EASY TO MAINTAIN AND IT COSTS ABOUT 1/3 WHAT IT WOULD TO MAINTAIN A HONDA ( AIR FILTER, OIL FILTER , OIL ETC) I FORGOT THE VANGUARD ENGINE IS IDENTICAL IN CONSTRUCTION AS THE HONDA. BEFORE I BOUGHT MINE I CALL MANY POWER WASHING CONTRACTORS, REPAIR PLACES, AND DEALERS AND 75% SAID THE BRIGGS & VANGUARD IS YOUR BEST CHOICE. WITH A GENERAL PUMP. WHEN I DETAIL CARS I TAKE THE STOCK 5.0 NOZZEL AND CHANGE IT OVER TO A 9.5 WHICH TAKES 3500 PSI AND DROPPS THE PRESSURE TO 1500 PSI BUT IT INCREASES WATER VOLUME TO 8 GALLONS PER MIN. LIKE I SAID BEFORE PRESSURE IS NICE BUT WATER VOLUME CLEANS. I USE 3500 PSI WHEN I DO TRACTOR WASHING AND CONCRETE WASHING THATS WHY I BOUGHT IT.</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
March 10, 2004 02:20AM
<HTML>Throw away units? I disagree. I bought an "Excell" pressure washer from Home Depot with a Honda GX 6.5HP engine and an AR pump for $700. After three years of one-pull starts and problem-free service, the pump oil still looks like the day I poured it in. Any unit with a Vanguard OR Honda engine and either a Cat, General, Comet, or AR pump should give years of satisfactory performance if maintained properly, even direct drive units.</HTML>
March 10, 2004 04:17AM
<HTML>I think HD years ago only sold Generac pressure washers, but now have better models. I started with a Generac and had many problems. The most of which, every "authorized" dealer they gave me either ruined my pressure washer, or in the case of another he had my pw for over 3 months for a minor problem and then when I went to get it, fixed or not, it was in pieces!

Now, HD has Honda models and better units. However, you can't beat a belt driven unit.

My last unit was a Honda with a CAT pump and started up every time. Plus, without the cart, it was easier to attach to the skid in the truck.</HTML>

&quot;Put your car in the Winner's Circle&quot;
WC Detailing Products
Cyclo, MF Towels, Clay, and more!
visit: www.winnerscircledetailingproducts.com
March 12, 2004 01:37AM
<HTML>I find power washes are the best, Gary summed it perfectly. Besides where I am it is illegal to use an ordinary garden hose due to water restrictions. I have a Karcher unit which is made in Germany.</HTML>
March 12, 2004 02:29AM
<HTML>I have a Karcher myself. Probably wouldn't use anything else since there's no need for a 3,000 psi pressure washer on cars or boats. 1,400-1,600 psi is all a car/boat needs.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 13, 2004 09:32AM
<HTML>Karcher are a good brand, and I like mine</HTML>
March 14, 2004 06:07AM
<HTML>Brian, love bugs will laff at anything under 3000 psi. In the wrong hands any pressure is too much, in the right hands, no pressure it too high.</HTML>
March 14, 2004 01:45PM
<HTML>3000 PSI is way too much pressure for a car in my opinion. Pressure is subjective, anyway. The PSI rating of a pressure washer is just the maximum PSI the pump can tolerate. The actual pressure you are applying to the car depends on the pressure in the line as well as the size and spray pattern of the tip and the distance from the nozzle to the car.

GPM's are what clean, not pressure. 1000 PSI is enough pressure for any car cleaning operation including bugs is the flow rate is sufficient. If you have a pressure washer that's rated at 3000 PSI, try putting a larger diameter tip (not a wider spray pattern, just a nozzle with a bigger hole).

Your pressure will go down but your GPMs will increase and you will be cleaning faster with less back pressure on your arms and it will be safer for the car. Just my opinion.</HTML>
March 14, 2004 09:12PM
<HTML>Gary well said

"pressure is nice but water volume cleans" when I detail cars I put a 9.0 nozzle. It takes the standard 3500 psi and drops it in half, but with the combination of a good presoak, dwell time, hot water, & high stream injection a filty car can take me 10 mins to clean and i dont even have to pick up a wash mitt.</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
March 15, 2004 04:26AM
<HTML>Opinions get us into trouble. Experince is what counts. Pressure and volume clean. I can put ten thousand gallons of water on a car with NO results without friction of some sort. That friction can be hand washing or pressure. Your choice of course.
Love bugs will NOT be touched...let me repeat..NOT be touched with 1000 pounds at any flow rate with any tip.
That, my friends, is my experince, not my opinion.
I have to have a way to clean these little critters without using too much time pr chemical and I have done some serious research. If you have never experinced love bugs and what they can do, then you must do so to be experinced in this arena.
Again I say, in the wrong hands ANY pressure is too high and in the right hands NO pressure is too high. It is all about how you use your tools. If you do not know how to use the tool it is not the tools fault. I can handle my 4000 psi pressure washer and will put it against any size unit out there on bugs. Angle, distance, speed, water type, chemical, age of car, condition of paint ALL play a role in the results far less than pressure UNTIL anyone of the other things is overlooked.
Please, if you limit yourself to 1000 pounds, do not assume it is the only way to use water. If I had a bigger budget, I'd have a bigger machine.</HTML>
March 18, 2004 11:47AM
<HTML>I am from the New Orleans area. We have love bugs so bad the fronts of cars are black. After a few minutes soaking with a Bug remover chemical, my pressure washer melts them right off. My pressure washer is calibrated to have exactly 1000 PSI in the line.

If I'm wrong about the ideal pressure, so is nearly every carwash in America. You would think businesses who clean the bugs of hundreds of cars per day would know the most efficient way to do it.</HTML>
March 21, 2004 05:13AM
<HTML>What is a love bug?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login