Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gel Coats

Posted by Jeff King 
Gel Coats
March 12, 2004 11:32PM
<HTML>In all this time I have never had the time or tried to do boats. What can you guys tell me about getting into this market? What should I know about the different finishes?</HTML>

Jeff King
Re: Gel Coats
March 12, 2004 11:52PM
<HTML>Gel Coats are much thicker, harder, and more forgiving than conventional paint finishes. You can buff and wax them using the same basic techniques you would use on a paint finish, but you may have to use more agressive products, pads, and buffer RPMs depending on the condition of the gel coat.

Meguiar's #50 (Boat/RV Cleaner/Wax) is an excellent wax for boats. So is 3M's Marine Cleaner/Wax. Meguiars and 3M also have an assortment of compounds and polishes that work well on gel coats. I think you will find that products formulated for marine use will give better results than those formulated for auto use.</HTML>
March 13, 2004 02:46AM
<HTML>While OEM clears are only 1.5 to 2 mil in thickness, and total film build (ecoat, surface primers, base coat and clear will produce between 4.5 and 5.5, unless a powder coat surface primer or anti-chip surface primer, which will give a higher film build), gel coat is usually 16 to 20 mils in total film build or thickness.

That DOES NOT mean that you have that much to work on or remove!

While clears are only dense in the top .5 mil, gel coats, properly applied have a dense layer of 5 to 6 mil.

If in the buffing or corrective process, you remove more than 4 to 5 mil, you will find it impossible to create a gloss that lasts.

The products, their oils, may make it appear that you have corrected a scratch, marring, but in a short time, if you take off excessive gell, it goes dull quickly.

Once you remove the density of the gel, you are into the "sponge" or "less dense" portion of the gel, just like with a clearcoat on a vehicle.

Then is when you observe in a few days to a couple of months "dull spots" in the surface.

Ketch</HTML>

March 13, 2004 04:09AM
<HTML>Jeff,

Gary and Ron are both right.

The gel coat is much more forgiving but not invincible. The boat detailing market is very demanding especially where a lot of yacht clubs are present. If you're close to the ocean or river then this can be a stand alone. high revenue producing opportunity.

Every boater I've met or talked to knows they MUST have their boats waxed at least twice a year. Some go for once a year which is fine but will cost them extra money for oxidation removal as the boat ages. And these things oxidize quickly -- especially down the shore with all the salt air. After the wax protection wears off and if the boat goes several months without protection, a cleaner/wax will be sufficient.

Stay mostly with marine products. You can use compound on a gel coat but not car wax or polish. Car polishes/waxes and marine polishes/waxes are different from one another. AUto Magic's XP Compound is great for the severely oxidized gel coats. Check out Dolphinite's T-Wax Sealant (www.dolphinite.com) I use this product the most and have had the best feedback on longevity from my customers.

Good luck!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login