Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

auto painting service (Maaco, Earl Scheib, ect)

Posted by Joe F 
auto painting service (Maaco, Earl Scheib, ect)
March 13, 2004 02:53AM
<HTML>I am looking to get my little Honda Delsol painted. The paint now is beyond help. I bought it 2 years ago and it was freshly painted. Whoever did it did a horrible job. I needed a car that gets good gas mileage and love the look of the Delsol . It is a great car, but I am kinda low on money. I am in Phoenix so if anyone knows a good local shop let me know. Anyway, what should I look for in a paint shop. I dont want anything fancy. It is black now and I am thinking about a different color because of the heat out here. I still like the black, would there be a higher charge to change color? Also, the national companys like Maaco and Earl Scheib have good prices. Is the medium to top paint job worth buying? I am looking at spending $500-$600. My car is tiny. Please give me some advise on what to do. You guys are pro's and know what to look for in a quality paint job. Thanks Joe</HTML>
Re: auto painting service (Maaco, Earl Scheib, ect)
March 13, 2004 03:27AM
<HTML>Forgot to say, body is in almost mint condition. It doesn't have dings or dents. That should make the price cheaper. Thanks Joe</HTML>
March 13, 2004 03:31AM
<HTML>Run away as fast as you can my boy. $500-$600 is nothing for a paint job and that's what you'll get. I got sucked into Maaco's sales pitch in the early 90's on my prized Jeep Renegade and spent nearly $800 for them to paint it. I had other quotes that were all near the $2000 mark and got sucked in by the lower price, promise of a great job and most of all NAME RECOGNITION. Long story short - they screwed the job right up and caused about $1000 in extra work to be done when I ended up repainting it again less than 1 year later. Total cost = $3800 by the time I was done when I should have just spent the money and had a proper body shop do it right the first time.

These body shops are the equivalent of what we all refer to as hackers in the biz. I mean - what do you expect for $500?</HTML>

March 13, 2004 03:47AM
<HTML>Scott, thanks. I know what you are saying. It's like anything, you get what you par for. But when you only have so much to spend, thats it, ya know. What if I did most of the leg work. Sand everything, remove moldings ect. You know, except the wet sanding and painting. By the way, on Earl Scheib's web site, it says drive your car in by 8 am, it will be done by 5pm. Complete job done in a couple of hours. Nice. Thanks Joe</HTML>
March 13, 2004 04:09AM
<HTML>Actually I forgot to mention thatI also did that on my project as well. Don't kid yourself here. Save up and get it done right in 6 months.</HTML>

March 13, 2004 04:20AM
<HTML>Joe,

Maaco and Earl Sheib and all of these low baller prices hire the biggest hack and vo-tech drop outs. You will have MAJOR overspray on your windshield, wheel wells, engine bay, rear axles, etc. You will also have runs, sags, fish eyes and orange peel. I had my old car painted there before I sold it and that all it was good for, to get it out the door. I saw the car six months later and the finish was very very oxidized and dull. They use a paint where when you polish the paint, you'll have a shine for a week or two TOPS, then it oxidation asap again.

I went to the best body shop in my town (a colleague of mine) and at a colleague price, he was going to charge me $2,500. If I was just a walk in customer, he would've charged me $2,750. With these professional jobs, you don't get defects, over spray or anything that would make you question spending the big bucks. They wet sand and buff until the paint is flawless -- plus they guarantee the work.

Maaco has a 6 month gloss warranty and after the 6 months, thats when the paint goes to hell.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 13, 2004 04:23AM
<HTML>Scott's exactly right on this one. Save your money and go to a quality paint shop. The best would be a quality shop that's had a good reputation for a long time. Find out what kind of paint they use and ask around. Don't go for the cheap deal. I remember Earl Scheib's when I was a kid. They would paint your car for $39!! And for an extra 10, they would even mask off the lights and trim!!! It doesn't sound like they've changed much. Maaco uses the cheapest paint available. They also use it very sparingly, so you won't get adequate coverage. But even more importantly, if they skimp on the prep, then you'll have problems within 1 year.

Learn from Scotty's misfortune here, Joe. Be patient and have it done right the first time. And remember, the bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of a bargain is gone. Or something like that!!</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
March 13, 2004 08:10AM
<HTML>An alternative is to call the local community college and find out if they have a body shop training program. If they do you could take a chance here. I did a few cars that way.

It is not the very best, but the students really try hard and the instructors are good people. Body shop techs themselves who work hard to get the students to do a good job. They are usually very reasonable.

They are not perfect but unlike the Maaco and Schiebs they try to do a good job.

Let me know if this works for you.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
March 13, 2004 12:09PM
<HTML>For a "good" paint job, you will have over $500 in materials!

This is another case of "you get what you pay for".

In my experience, the best shops are home owned, local painters.
They "have to" be good, as it is their reputation and quality work that is feeding their family.

IMO, I do not think you will get a paint job worth having for $500

I agree with everyone else..., save your money and get a quality paint job or no paint job, otherwise, you will be throwing out money and you will "have to" get it repainted again..., the right way.</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
March 13, 2004 03:28PM
<HTML>I used both Earl Scheib and Maaco on my trucks in my landscaping business. Maaco blows away Earl Scheibs quality. Maaco is a great place to get work vehicles or vehicles that are being sold as Brian mentioned. I would never use either company for a personal vehicle or a high quality job. You have to pay good money to get a proffessional paint job on any vehicle.</HTML>
March 13, 2004 04:12PM
<HTML>I don't plan on keeping it for a long time. If someone offerd me money I'd sell it now. I was just looking for advise for making it look better. They are kinda hot cars with all the illegal street racing now. Out here in Phoenix, I'd say every other day there is an accident with these stupid kids racing. I think I will call the college down the street. So if Earl Scheib is as bad as everone says, how have they stayed in business so long? Thanks Joe</HTML>
March 13, 2004 04:16PM
<HTML>Joe:

Have you had any good detailer give you a bid to buff; polish and wax it? Many times a car that looks trashed can be brought back to an acceptable condition with a detailers touch.

I would consider doing this before making a painting decision. It will be worth the investment.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
March 14, 2004 01:06AM
<HTML>Bud, thanks for the question. I washed the car 2 times to remove the dirt. Clayed the suface. Used Stoner 1200 grit compounding polish with my polisher and cutting pad. Did that 2 times. Used Stoner polish and seal with the orbital. Then my last step was Cherry wet wax. I figured I didnt have much to loose. The sides of the car look awesome. They are the original paint. The hood, roof and trunk have been repainted. That is what looks so bad. I didn't need to compound the sides. They shine like crazy. The repainted surfaces I had a hard time even getting the chemicals off. I had to use the polisher to remove some of it. I'm afraid if I go harder, I'll just burn thru the paint. I'll try and post some pics so you can see. Thanks Joe</HTML>
<HTML>I agree with everyone else, stay away from earl scheib and maaco. But I have a friend who did all the body work, sanding and taping off on his car, then took it to earl scheib because he couldn't even buy the paint for what they were offering paint jobs for at the time. It actually turned out sweet. But I remind you he sanded it and taped it off.</HTML>
March 18, 2004 02:32AM
<HTML>Ive seen good Maaco and Earl Scheib paint jobs but the owner did all the prep work and also sliped the painter a good tip before hand, their is also a lot of detail work to do. To take a car to Maaco or Earl Sheib and get it painted without you doing the prep , it will come out crappy.</HTML>
<HTML>I took a work car to Maaco once. Bought their semi-high priced job. It took 'em a week instead of a couple of days. I think a McDonald's opened down the street and all the "Techs" went there for higher paying jobs.

Looked OK for a couple of months and, by then, the shop was closed anyway (big surprise).

If ya want something that looks good from 10 feet away, that's probably the way to go. Anything better, take it to a pro and pay the $$. You'll be MUCH happier in the long run.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login