Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

gum removal

Posted by Mark Rogers 
gum removal
March 17, 2004 02:24PM
<HTML>How can you remove gum on a cloth seat. What's the best product to use, and / or tool. Have a car here right now in the shop and can't seem to get it to budge. Used everything I have up to spot remover. Help!</HTML>
Re: gum removal
March 17, 2004 02:41PM
<HTML>try goo gone, goof off, solvent, wd-40, a bolt (yes I said bolt)

If it is hard you can flake it off with a bolt. I carry a 5-6 inch bolt in my van. If you lay the bolt across the gum and kind of "saw" at it the ridges from the thread will flake it off. If yu don't have a bolt use a coin.

If the gum is soft, soak the area in some solvent and slowly work it up. Apply more solvent as needed and work a it up a little at a a time.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
March 17, 2004 04:04PM
<HTML>Mark,

The safest and most professional way to remove gum on a cloth seat is to simply use a household hair dryer.

Take a thin cotton cloth and lay it over the gum and proceed to warm the area with the air from the hair dryer. Apply just the right amount of heat that will cause the gum to begin to soften and transfer onto the cotton cloth. Just continue this process until all of the gum has transferred.</HTML>

March 17, 2004 06:48PM
<HTML>All good approaches.

You can also try XENIT Citrus (solvent without the petroleum smell.) Or good ol' mineral spirits (New Car Solvent, New Car Prep, PrepSol.)</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 18, 2004 02:00AM
<HTML>Better stick with the hair dryer and cloth!Best approach,no mess and very little time consumed.As for using mineral spirits be adviced if your planning on having kids in the future, this and lacquer thinner causes a rare brain cancer in children, if used in a dailey routine without adequate protection.Remember every chem you use goes strait through your skin ,into your blood system and then to your liver .We all know we hate gloves ,so regardless of the inconvienance use the gloves!!!!!!Your employees future maybe in your hands.</HTML>
March 18, 2004 02:58AM
<HTML>I use a aerosol product from Spraway, that freezes the gum, I break it up with a dull scraper, vac up. You can also use a piece of ice. Nice tip about the cotton Frank.</HTML>
March 18, 2004 03:32AM
<HTML>Great advice Frank....I will put that one in the bag o tricks</HTML>
March 21, 2004 08:04AM
<HTML>bumpers plus ,

could you e mail me the sprayco info on the freeze up spray?
been looking for it for a while now.
thanks Ryan@Mobile Pro</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login