Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

dilution

Posted by Superior Shine 
dilution
March 30, 2004 02:28AM
<HTML>Bud asks- "What about how you dilution and handle chemicals. Do you think there is a better way than manually diluting and then pouring into 16 oz and 32 oz bottles that have to be filled many times during the day for some chemicals?"

Bud we use regular spray bottles and pump sprayers. Our bottles are filled every morning and last us at least throught the day but two -three days is average.
It is rare that we need to refill a bottle while out in the field.

I do keep gallon jugs of everything in the van to fill the bottles if we need to.

I have looked into and tried the large stainless steel (SS) pump sprayers and this is what we found out.

1-price, for the price of the smallest SS pump sprayer we could buy years and years worth of plastic spray bottles. I spend less than $25 dollars a year now on spray bottles from sams club (4 pack heavy duty for less than $5.00) and small quart size pump sprayers from Lowes($7.00 each).

2-weight, we are hustling pretty good as it is now last thing we need is to lug around a large SS pump sprayer filled with liquid weighing 8 pounds per gal or more.

3-No free hand, after appling dressing both hands are some how on the SS pump sprayer. We like to even the dressing out with a spounge or terry towel.

4-space, I am a mobile detailer. I drive the largest van GMC makes and it is jammed packed with equipment. SS pump sprayers would take up too much room.

5-It hasn't happpend yet but I dont want my employees lugging that SS sprayer around the vehicles. I am sure one could dent a car pretty good. I am nervous enough with the step ladders and buffers near the vehicle already!</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
Re: dilution
March 30, 2004 06:36AM
<HTML>Here's a crazy idea -- bring several bottles, of each chemical, on location which have already been diluted. Better than pump sprayers or lugging around 1 or 5 gallon pails.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 31, 2004 01:47AM
<HTML>I USUALLY HAVE ALL MY CHEMICALS LOCATED ON MY TRAILER OR IN MY STORAGE SHED. I KEEP A BULK AMOUNT IN THE SHED BUT I BRING A SPRAY BOTTLE PLUS 32OZ OF THE PRODUCT AS A BACK UP. MOSTLY YOUR CLEANERS YOU ARE GONNA GO THRU ALOT OF SO I KEEP A CONCENTRATE UNDILUTED JUST INCASE I RUN OUT AND I CAN REFILL UP AND DONT HAVE TO COME BACK TO THE SHOP. I KEEP A COUPLE OF CHEMICALS IN A PUMP UP SPRAY FOR APPLICATION PURPOSES : ENGINE CLEANER - TIRE CLEANER - ALL PURPOSE CLEANER (FOR WHEEL WELLS )- CARPET CLEANER. I STILL KEEP GLASS CLEANER IN A SPARY BOTTLE B/C I STILL THINK IT IS EASIER TO MOVE AROUND WITH IT. I TRIED DRESSING IN A PUMP UP BUT I FOUND IT TO BE TO MESSY AND COST EFFICTIVE SO I STILL PUT WHEEL DRESSING ON WITHA SPRAY BOTTLE AND DO-ALL PAD.</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
March 31, 2004 02:08AM
<HTML>Joe:

You are a one man company that does everything. The bottles may be good for you, but for detail shop owners with many people one of the first complaints they have about their shop is the bottles all over the place; no one knowing what is in them; waste in diluting and pouring the chemical into the bottles and all over the floor.

What might work for you, does not work for a detail shop owner with a lot of employees who are not so careful and conscientious as you in the handling of the chemicals.

You need to look at other situations than your own, I might suggest.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
March 31, 2004 11:50PM
<HTML>AMEN!</HTML>
April 01, 2004 05:22AM
<HTML>Usually, I will make my bottles weekly, enought to last a week or more.

Bottles are always labeled knowing the contents.

But yes, my bottles are scattered all over the place. :-) Time for a bottle holder to bolt to the wall or get another cart.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

April 01, 2004 07:00AM
<HTML>Bud, You don't understand my operation. All bottles are properly labeled according to law. All bottles have their own holder. You will always find window cleaner in the window cleaner place. My employees are trained to always return the bottle where it belongs so somebody else needing it can find it.

My bottles are all color coded as well. The bottles have the dilution ratio right on the side. We fill the product up to the line then top it off with water. All products are checked EVERY morning. Everything is in a size that will last a full day, but two to three days is average.

I currently have a crew of three but I have had as many as 8 and our system works perfect.</HTML>

April 01, 2004 07:10AM
<HTML>Joe:

Thanks for the reply. I congratulate you on such an orderly system of bottle maintenance, you are one of the few exceptions in the business that can keep his bottles labeled and organized you are to be commended.

But my comments were also directed at what it costs you to manually dilute and fill each bottle and then keep them organized.

Can you honestly tell me how much time daily you or someone else spends diluting chemical; filling bottles and insuring they are kept orderly?

Just an estimate and do not think this is a loaded question to make you look bad or anything. It is that you are defending this system and I am asking you, the proponent of plastic squeeze and spray bottles, how long it takes you daily to dilute chemical and fill the bottles and then the time to insure they are kept in order. This is especiallly interesting with 8 workers.

Thanks

bud abraham</HTML>

buda
April 01, 2004 07:44AM
<HTML>All my 5 gallon containers have faucets and filling takes no more than a minute per bottle -- includes topping off with water.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

April 01, 2004 12:22PM
<HTML>just to put in our 2 cents worth, we found filling bottle first with water then adding product,has less foaming in bottle</HTML>
April 01, 2004 02:35PM
<HTML>I agree with the adding the product first for less foam. But our bottles are marked in such a away that the product must go first.

Bud, In five minutes or less all product is checked and refilled if needed. We don't have to do all of them every day , maybe just one or two.

I think this subject has been beaten to death. So let me end it by stating we tried Stainless steel pump sprayers and we didnt see an advantage. For those that do, God bless them. For us, we will stick to the tried and true money maker (for us).</HTML>

April 01, 2004 03:23PM
<HTML>AMEN!!!!</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login